Mavic Crossride Wheels

kevin71
kevin71 Posts: 12
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hello
Any opinion on mavic crossride 2009 wheelset, seem like a really good deal from some online bike shops at the moment and I am thinking of getting a set as an upgrade for my alexrims xd lite. They will be used for standard xc trail centre riding.

thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But what hubs and spokes are you running?
  • The mavics come built with straight pull spokes and hubs with QRM bearings, this is the main reason for the upgrade as i seem to be always cleaning and greasing the loose bearings on my present shimano deore hubs.
  • supersonic
    It is not really much of an upgrade, just different. Maybe a bit lighter, but probably not as stiff. The Corssrides still use adjustable hubs.
  • I thought the QRM cartridge bearing would be better and the wheelset seems good value at £135 plus they look good.
  • supersonic
    I'd spend a bit more if you want to see a real difference. Unless of course what you have is knackered!
  • The Crossride 2009 wheel set is a fantastic budget value wheel. Super strong, light and built with the quality you would expect from Mavic. I have had a pair on my XC race bike for some time now. I bought them to get me out of a tight spot while my DT240's were being serviced. When got them back i decided to leave the Crossrides on as they weighed the same as hand built DT's on Mavic rims and performed fine. The front hub is just showing signs of a strip down well after a years abuse.... Yes you could spend a lot more on a decent set of hand built wheels but depends on what your looking for and what you have to spend. I destroyed my DT 240's in a year... i was told how they just keep on running, Mmmm yeah right! Have a look at Hope Hoops as they are such good wheels for the money. Dont go down the DT rim route though!

good luck :wink:
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.
  • Whatever the forum riders says :roll:

Mavic Crossrides are fantastic wheels, strong , light and fast with aero spokes ,under 2k including quick release and look cool. A few too many stickers for my taste but thats my personal opinion, otherwise an absolute bargain.

Best buy 10/10 don’t let the Hope sknobs tell you any different.
  • supersonic
    But not really better than what he has - they are decent hubs, 32 spokes are stiffer, and a pretty good rim. If built well, is a good pair of wheels. You could for example, for 15 quid more, get a pair of XT centrelock disc hubs handbuilt into XC717 rims with ACI double butted spokes.
  • Your wrong.

Crossrides dont use adjustable bearings, they are sealed. The XT does have the usual cone jobs which will be in the shop getting regreased every week. And why would he want splined hubs, itll just add £50 to the cost of replacement for a pair of discs.

The XT,s and 717,s are ok but the crossrides are plenty strong/stiff enough, lighter with better bearings and in the real world more reliable.

You need to get out more, that post count is healthy.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sonic, you always make these arguments about crossrides but as with many things, have you actually owned any?

ive owned 2 different sets, they are the same weight as a pair of pro2 with db dt spokes and 819 rims which cost twice as much. they feel just as stiff, they were just as reliable and once the stickers were removed, were miles better looking.

also, you're not comparing like for like what with 717 being 17mm rim and the crossrides being a 19mm rim and how light are the wheels you describe in real life, not on paper?
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I can't stand flexy wheels and have sold a set of XT factory wheels on that alone. The Crossrides however were completely solid. I have no idea why, whether it's to do with the flat spokes or build quality. Mine were as solid as any custom wheels I've ever had though.

I'm 6'6" and 14.5 stone so generally stress bike components a lot, I also can't stand flex in wheels, I've broken a couple of XT hubs for a start. Infact on that note, I've seen more than enough negative comments for XT hubs, especially the newer 775 ones.

So err, yeah, given the choice, and after owning both, I'd have the Crossrides.
  • supersonic
    edited December 2009
    starseven wrote:
    Your wrong.

Crossrides dont use adjustable bearings, they are sealed. The XT does have the usual cone jobs which will be in the shop getting regreased every week. And why would he want splined hubs, itll just add £50 to the cost of replacement for a pair of discs.

The XT,s and 717,s are ok but the crossrides are plenty strong/stiff enough, lighter with better bearings and in the real world more reliable.

You need to get out more, that post count is healthy.

First of all, quit the insults.

Second, I am not wrong. It seems you don't understand the differences in bearings. A sealed bearing DOES NOT mean a cartridge bearing. It means a bearing that has seals. This can mean a cartridge, or loose ball. The Crossride use a bearing support ring, adjustable to remove play.

I suggest you post things that are correct in future before having a go, eh?
  • supersonic
    sonic, you always make these arguments about crossrides but as with many things, have you actually owned any?

ive owned 2 different sets, they are the same weight as a pair of pro2 with db dt spokes and 819 rims which cost twice as much. they feel just as stiff, they were just as reliable and once the stickers were removed, were miles better looking.

also, you're not comparing like for like what with 717 being 17mm rim and the crossrides being a 19mm rim and how light are the wheels you describe in real life, not on paper?

I have rode and tested a couple of bikes with Crossrides, and currently own a 2006 Mavic Crosmaxx Enduro wheelset which uses the same hubs as the current Crossrides, albeit with different spoke counts. I do like them: I am just putting the 'upgrade' in perspective for the original owner. As I said, as a replacement, makes sound sense if the old wheels are worn, but as an upgrade, I am not so sure.

The newer XT hubs (M775) on 717 and DB spokes was just an alternative and an example - the cartridge/loose ball argument will rage forever lol, maybe a sealed cartridge is better for the OP. Weight wise, looking at about 1800g for the pair (actual weight of components comes to 1750g...) plus extra for adapters should you take that route. As for width, a Stans 355 rim is an alternative, and is actually lighter but costs more.

Many options - maybe new bearings, and a wheel tension will have what he has back in top order?!
  • XT hubs are for tinkerers like myself who keep on top of their maintenance,Crossrides will require less maitenance but ball bearings for the XTs are pennies.

More valid point perhaps is that XT with 717s will be easier to get trued and spokes replaced and a 32 spoke count is maybe not so critical should you break a spoke in the field and need to get home.

Also consider what tyre size is going to be used.Crossrides are 19mm and better for wider tyres.

I ended up with XT717s but would admit that the older 6 bolt hubs I got aren`t that light,and I could have as easily been conviced to get Crossrides.

It was only the price that I got my set for that swung it,but given that Crossrideds are avilailable for £130 compared to the £150 or more now for XT 717 I might have got the Crossrides.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Sonic,

Mavic wheels use sealed bearings like these http://www.mavic.com/mtb/technologies/QRM.1.9400.aspx
    There may be some pedantic difference in type but they are sealed bearings in a cartridge that can be replaced as one unit as opposed to the loose bearings in a cup and cone used by Shimano.
    As for the insults, what are you referring to ? The statement that you are wrong? Is that an insult in your mind? or the point that your post count is unhealthy.

Niether remark was really an insult was it, calling you an idiotic plonker would be an insult and I wouldnt dream of doing that.

Are you paid by the post?.
  • supersonic
    Yeah, the 756 are really lardy, dunno how they managed that, 450g for the rear!

True on the replacements - luckily the bearings are simple codes.

Interestingly the Ub Crossrides have a 17mm internal width.
  • supersonic
    starseven wrote:
    Sonic,

Mavic wheels use sealed bearings like these http://www.mavic.com/mtb/technologies/QRM.1.9400.aspx
    There may be some pedantic difference in type but they are sealed bearings in a cartridge that can be replaced as one unit as opposed to the loose bearings in a cup and cone used by Shimano.
    As for the insults, what are you referring to ? The statement that you are wrong? Is that an insult in your mind? or the point that your post count is unhealthy.

Niether remark was really an insult was it, calling you an idiotic plonker would be an insult and I wouldnt dream of doing that.

Are you paid by the post?.

About the post count. I have spent a lot of time lately recovering from a debilitating illness, so I do post a lot. No I am not paid lol. Maybe I overreacted, but I thought was irrelevant anyway. I still get to ride of course, just not as much as I want ;-)

The bearings system on the Crossride still is adjustable, unlike that say on the Pro2. This is judged with the wheel on the bike - there is a collar for preload and two spanner flats, and you must take into account the QR tension too.
  • crossrides cant be all that bad anyway, i just bought a 2010 zesty which comes with crossrides...

SPIDERMAN... you mention that the 19mm rim is best suited to wider tyres, i never thought of this. just how narrow a tyre would be suitable? as muddy conditions suit a narrow rear tyre.
    thanks
    It`s changed a bit since...
    2010 Zesty 314
  • toasty
    edited December 2009
    supersonic wrote:
    I have rode and tested a couple of bikes with Crossrides, and currently own a 2006 Mavic Crosmaxx Enduro wheelset which uses the same hubs as the current Crossrides, albeit with different spoke counts

I apologise now, I tried hard to resist this one, but my arguing-on-the-internet sense of injustice is tingling. :)

I don't think directly comparing a 4 year old Mavic wheel, aimed at a different segment at the market, to a new one you don't own is a particularly great comparison. The Crossride change very slightly every year, even the 2009 model changed slightly in the hub and lost some weight, my 2008 ones had eyelets which the newer ones don't have.

As for XT being a good wheelset for riders who like to fettle with bikes, I do all the work myself on my bikes, most of which were built up at home. I'm quite capable of removing a cone, squirting grease up and tightening them up. The M775 hubs have issues, a lot of reviews have stated this, issues which the older hubs, and other Shimano hubs do not have. I still run LX and Deore hubs without issue and get on fine keeping them running smooth.
  • toasty
    2 minute search, 4 broken XT rear hubs:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/xt-hub-m775-drag-problem

There's similar threads on there, loads of them. Issues with the axles tightening themselves through the wheels motion, I had exactly the same on one set and it literally crushed the bearings. Yes, the cones were pressured against the lock nuts to stop this happening and blue loctite threadlok was applied (as it had slipped previously already, from brand new).

I can probably dig out relevant reviews, I recall one of a Whyte bike last year with the XT wheelset, MBR I think. They mentioned the bike being great but suffering with issues withthe hub. Singletrack had a similar review of the wheelset not too long ago with a similar conclusion.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Good solid stiff wheels I have had a set for just over 2 years now and the front and rear bearings are still running beautifully smooth with zero maintenance. The rear freehub bushing got a bit worn but this was easily replaced with a $18 replacement off a guy on US ebay.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    Toasty wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    I have rode and tested a couple of bikes with Crossrides, and currently own a 2006 Mavic Crosmaxx Enduro wheelset which uses the same hubs as the current Crossrides, albeit with different spoke counts

I apologise now, I tried hard to resist this one, but my arguing-on-the-internet sense of injustice is tingling. :)

I don't think directly comparing a 4 year old Mavic wheel, aimed at a different segment at the market, to a new one you don't own is a particularly great comparison. The Crossride change very slightly every year, even the 2009 model changed slightly in the hub and lost some weight, my 2008 ones had eyelets which the newer ones don't have.

As for XT being a good wheelset for riders who like to fettle with bikes, I do all the work myself on my bikes, most of which were built up at home. I'm quite capable of removing a cone, squirting grease up and tightening them up. The M775 hubs have issues, a lot of reviews have stated this, issues which the older hubs, and other Shimano hubs do not have. I still run LX and Deore hubs without issue and get on fine keeping them running smooth.

True they do change - but nevertheless the wheels I have and many of the crossrides used the same QRM bearings, same FTS-L freehub, spoke retaining system adjustment method so I know how these hubs perform. The 2010 changes to FTS-X however. And having ridden the Crossride on two long rides know how they feel in stiffness terms.

True, some are having problems wit the XT hubs - but if we went on reported problems, you would never recommend the Metas either ;-). And googling, the Crossrides are far from problem free.

I do think they are a good wheelset, and I do like them, I have never said otherwise. Most of my comments are to put the upgrade into perspective.
  • toasty
    you would never recommend the Metas either

I'd be hard pressed to recommend the 2009 ones, I have to admit :/ If it breaks you get a sparkley new 2010 frame though with much better welding, the 09 ones look like they were iced in a cake factory. Still, they paid the price and hardly anywhere is stocking the 2010 models, they also didn't make their carbon Meta in XL, hence me getting a Mojo recently :P

Unfortunately, it's too muddy outside for me to ride it at the moment, so no good photos exist. It's hiding in the kitchen :) The poor Metas bearings are getting all the winter grit, followed by excessive jet washes :)

Err, back on the original note, don't the Crossmax Enduro have standard straight pull spokes, rather than bladed ones? Was the rim width the same? I'm still not convinced it's a great comparison. Especially given all the positive feedback from owners.
    but if we went on reported problems

Indeed, which is why I'm going on personal experience of owning and riding 2 versions of the M775 XT hub and a set of Crossrides.
  • supersonic
    I'm comparing the hubs lol! And I do like them! I like being able to adjust them - the debate seemed to turn to the adjustability of the hubs.
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    kopite1979 wrote:
    crossrides cant be all that bad anyway, i just bought a 2010 zesty which comes with crossrides...

thanks

I think that's a pretty dangerous way of thinking, just because they are on a Zesty dosen't mean they are any good!

I personally think they are probably a reasonable budget wheelset, and I DO see the appeal, however, they have silly graphics, it seems many people are unreasonably obbessed with them; fitting them to bike with kit that really deserves way better than a £130 retail wheelset.

Personally (and call me onld fashioned) I would rather have a nice set of custom built wheels built by the excellent mechanic at my LBS, far easier to replace spokes, and steers me clear of the 'everyman' wheel. XT Hubs seals are great. Has anyone considered Superstar Hubs, they look pretty good, have some good reviews and are different. If was going to buy non-hope, I think i'd have some of those on the relevent Mavic rim.
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -