Chain slipping on certain gears with newish drivetrain

danielsbrewer
danielsbrewer Posts: 123
edited December 2009 in The workshop
Hello,

In the last week my 8-speed Specialized hybrid has started to slip when using cog 6 at the back and the middle chain ring. The pedels suddenly drop away and then it picks it up again.

It was only just over a month a go that I had a new chain, chain rings and cassette so I don't think they can have worn out. I have checked the chain for stretch and that seems to be fine. Have you got any ideas what else it could be, how I could diagnose it and how I could fix it?

Many Thanks

EDIT----
chainset -> cassette

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Hello,

In the last week my 8-speed Specialized hybrid has started to slip when using cog 6 at the back and the middle chain ring. The pedels suddenly drop away and then it picks it up again.

It was only just over a month a go that I had a new chain, chain rings and chainset so I don't think they can have worn out. I have checked the chain for stretch and that seems to be fine. Have you got any ideas what else it could be, how I could diagnose it and how I could fix it?

Many Thanks

Did you change the cassette at the same time? (that's the cogs on the wheel)
  • Yes, The cassette was changed at the same time. I wrote chainset instead of cassette by accident. SOrry about that
  • will3
    In that case (and assuming that whoever did the work actually did fit new stuff all round)
    you may want to have a look at the indexing.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Might just be bedding in, but you could look at checking that your new chain isn't too long, that your rear mech is nicely oiled to keep the chain under tension, and (as will3 said) tweak the indexing.
  • Sort of on this subject, do new gear cables stretch over time? I had new cables fitted about 3 months ago and in the last couple of rides (I've done a few hundred miles in that 3 months), the gears have started slipping. So I obviously need to re-index. But is that because the cables have stretched?

It seems such a short amount of time between fitting new cables and having to index the gears again.

Thanks v much
  • will3
    themoog wrote:
    Sort of on this subject, do new gear cables stretch over time? I had new cables fitted about 3 months ago and in the last couple of rides (I've done a few hundred miles in that 3 months), the gears have started slipping. So I obviously need to re-index. But is that because the cables have stretched?

It seems such a short amount of time between fitting new cables and having to index the gears again.

Thanks v much

Depends a bit on the cables, but, yes, they can stretch/bed in a bit after fitting.

Ususally pretty easy to dial out though as it's usually just a half a turn or so on the cable adjuster, you don't have to touch the stops.
  • will3 wrote:
    themoog wrote:
    Sort of on this subject, do new gear cables stretch over time? I had new cables fitted about 3 months ago and in the last couple of rides (I've done a few hundred miles in that 3 months), the gears have started slipping. So I obviously need to re-index. But is that because the cables have stretched?

Thanks v much

Depends a bit on the cables, but, yes, they can stretch/bed in a bit after fitting.

Ususally pretty easy to dial out though as it's usually just a half a turn or so on the cable adjuster, you don't have to touch the stops.

This makes sense, as they aren't slipping that badly. Thanks for your help - v useful