Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Basso doing Giro and Tour next year

iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2009 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/basso-w ... ce-in-2010

He said calm a lot and we all know calm = tranqulio so people better watch out.

:wink:
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
«134

Posts

  • Beaten to it, yet again, by our "Bassoboy"! :P
    All 4 of their names to ride, makes them the Tour team, IMO.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Beaten to it, yet again, by our "Bassoboy"! :P
    All 4 of their names to ride, makes them the Tour team, IMO.

    Bit of danger with Roman and Nibs rising above their station. Franco and Ivan seem to be able to co-exist but I think the other 2 might not be as easy to deal with.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctorsmididoctors Posts: 10,448
    long range prediction basso will get dropped and struggle to make the podium...

    roman hasn't demonstrated he can do the third and Nibali could come over the top

    franco is living in reality and is aiming for the giro (my guess)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • dulldavedulldave Posts: 949
    They may be the Tour team if they all pull in one direction. But I doubt that'll happen. I enjoyed watching Pelizotti and Nibali this year in the tour.

    In the Giro it looked like Basso was holding Pelizotti back.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • KléberKléber Posts: 6,842
    Basso, Pellizotti, Nibali and Kreuziger together sounds impressive but it has ring, dare I say it, of T-Mobile: too many chiefs. Besides, they are all second string riders and even combined they'll be rinsed by Contador and Schleck.
  • Depends on how Basso really went this years, was that his best clean effort or was he just building for this year guess we will know early next year
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • lets be honest.
    if he has truly changed his ways, then he wont have the "form" to compete with the other GC contenders in teh tour. Pity, he is a classy rider, and has earned a small bit of respect from me for coming back and riding fairly averagly.
  • iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    intothe12 wrote:
    lets be honest.
    if he has truly changed his ways, then he wont have the "form" to compete with the other GC contenders in teh tour. Pity, he is a classy rider, and has earned a small bit of respect from me for coming back and riding fairly averagly.

    Yes, you finish in the top 5 in 2 grand tours by being average.

    :roll:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    Basso is definitely a threat.

    Every pro seems to be saying how taking 2 years out is a real set-back and takes a season or so just to get back to your old peak form.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • FJSFJS Posts: 4,820
    Kléber wrote:
    Basso, Pellizotti, Nibali and Kreuziger together sounds impressive but it has ring, dare I say it, of T-Mobile: too many chiefs. Besides, they are all second string riders and even combined they'll be rinsed by Contador and Schleck.

    I agree, in normal circumstances positions one and two seem already taken. But, third step on the podium is still a big prize for most, and they could do well there, providing team leaderships for Giro and TdF are distributed wisely. The Tour de France route for next year favors the tactical possibilities of a team with multiple good climbers, none of them outstanding TTers.
  • moray_gubmoray_gub Posts: 3,328
    edited December 2009
    iainf72 wrote:
    intothe12 wrote:
    lets be honest.
    if he has truly changed his ways, then he wont have the "form" to compete with the other GC contenders in teh tour. Pity, he is a classy rider, and has earned a small bit of respect from me for coming back and riding fairly averagly.

    Yes, you finish in the top 5 in 2 grand tours by being average.

    :roll:

    Ivan himself said said something like if i dont ride like i did before then i can be judged..........So Giro 2006 he rides all and sundry off his wheel and absolutely skooshes it compared to Giro 2009 when he was at time hanging on for dear life other than a few fruitless attacks in fact if anything he was a hinderance to Pellizotti That aside he was never really in the hunt in either GT was he always hovering that bit off the pace and for a rider with his previous palmares you would have expected better. Harsh maybe but he asked to be compared to his previous .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gubmoray_gub Posts: 3,328
    teagar wrote:
    Basso is definitely a threat.

    Every pro seems to be saying how taking 2 years out is a real set-back and takes a season or so just to get back to your old peak form.

    Or maybe there is a reason they never get back to their old peak form.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    Moray Gub wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    Basso is definitely a threat.

    Every pro seems to be saying how taking 2 years out is a real set-back and takes a season or so just to get back to your old peak form.

    Or maybe there is a reason they never get back to their old peak form.

    As far as I'm aware Moray, he was only done for attempting doping - not actually doping...

    It's not like you to go for circumstantial evidence?

    Basso is definitely a genuine contender for a GT in 2010.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • moray_gubmoray_gub Posts: 3,328
    teagar wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    Basso is definitely a threat.

    Every pro seems to be saying how taking 2 years out is a real set-back and takes a season or so just to get back to your old peak form.

    Or maybe there is a reason they never get back to their old peak form.

    As far as I'm aware Moray, he was only done for attempting doping - not actually doping...

    It's not like you to go for circumstantial evidence?

    Basso is definitely a genuine contender for a GT in 2010.

    All i will say about Basso and your reaction is that its kinda incosistent with your views on other doping cases like say Kloden which often have far less evidence than in the case of Ivan. He is one of your favourite riders fair enough but its definately clouding your judgement when it comes to his doping infractions.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    Moray Gub wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    Basso is definitely a threat.

    Every pro seems to be saying how taking 2 years out is a real set-back and takes a season or so just to get back to your old peak form.

    Or maybe there is a reason they never get back to their old peak form.

    As far as I'm aware Moray, he was only done for attempting doping - not actually doping...

    It's not like you to go for circumstantial evidence?

    Basso is definitely a genuine contender for a GT in 2010.

    All i will say about Basso and your reaction is that its kinda incosistent with your views on other doping cases like say Kloden which often have far less evidence than in the case of Ivan. He is one of your favourite riders fair enough but its definately clouding your judgement when it comes to his doping infractions.


    When have I ever discussed Kloden's doping??! I'm not fussed either way about Kloden. Certainly not a favourite rider. I think you have me confused with someone else.

    My point still stands.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    teagar wrote:
    I think you have me confused with someone else.

    Mr Gub just likes a good argument
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • moray_gubmoray_gub Posts: 3,328
    teagar wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    Basso is definitely a threat.

    Every pro seems to be saying how taking 2 years out is a real set-back and takes a season or so just to get back to your old peak form.

    Or maybe there is a reason they never get back to their old peak form.

    As far as I'm aware Moray, he was only done for attempting doping - not actually doping...

    It's not like you to go for circumstantial evidence?

    Basso is definitely a genuine contender for a GT in 2010.

    All i will say about Basso and your reaction is that its kinda incosistent with your views on other doping cases like say Kloden which often have far less evidence than in the case of Ivan. He is one of your favourite riders fair enough but its definately clouding your judgement when it comes to his doping infractions.


    When have I ever discussed Kloden's doping??! I'm not fussed either way about Kloden. Certainly not a favourite rider. I think you have me confused with someone else.

    My point still stands.

    Ok apologies i thought i was replying to iainf72 but your point is pants btw.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gubmoray_gub Posts: 3,328
    edited December 2009
    teagar wrote:
    I think you have me confused with someone else.

    Mr Gub just likes a good argument

    who doesnt ? this forum would be an incredibly dull dull place if we all agreed with each other.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    edited December 2009
    My point is "pants".

    Fair enough - I'm convinced. :lol:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    intothe12 wrote:
    lets be honest.
    if he has truly changed his ways, then he wont have the "form" to compete with the other GC contenders in teh tour. Pity, he is a classy rider, and has earned a small bit of respect from me for coming back and riding fairly averagly.

    Yes, you finish in the top 5 in 2 grand tours by being average.

    :roll:

    Ivan himself said said something like if i dont ride like i did before then i can be judged..........So Giro 2006 he rides all and sundry off his wheel and absolutely skooshes it compared to Giro 2009 when he was at time hanging on for dear life other than a few fruitless attacks in fact if anything he was a hinderance to Pellizotti That aside he was never really in the hunt in either GT was he always hovering that bit off the pace and for a rider with his previous palmares you would have expected better. Harsh maybe but he asked to be compared to his previous .

    I believe my point that Moray articulates much better than I is that Basso is a shadow of his former self and it is fairly clear to understand why. He was a protected rider in the GT's that he competed in and did manage do get into the top ten, but he was by no means an instigator or game changer in any of the races, more of a side act to the main event. so in terms of his former self, definetly average.
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    There was a column in procycling this month from a (i want to say bbox?) rider who took a year out from riding, and said that year out ruined ths season afterwards. He was stunned at Armstrong's performance given that he had however many years out.


    Same can be said for Basso.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Moray Gub wrote:
    who doesnt ? this forum would be an incredibly dull dull place if we all agreed with each other.

    Arguments are good. Where would we be without the eccentrics like DennisN and the LA Fanboys, to ensure balance with the realists.

    :twisted:
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    teagar wrote:
    There was a column in procycling this month from a (i want to say bbox?) rider who took a year out from riding, and said that year out ruined ths season afterwards. He was stunned at Armstrong's performance given that he had however many years out.


    Same can be said for Basso.

    I reckon Basso could win another GT (Giro or Vuelta). He's done pretty well in his racing season back.

    Two Top5s in not bad, and I'm sure he will improve. He'd be relying on misfortune to both Contador and Schleck for a win in July though.
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    teagar wrote:
    There was a column in procycling this month from a (i want to say bbox?) rider who took a year out from riding, and said that year out ruined ths season afterwards. He was stunned at Armstrong's performance given that he had however many years out.


    Same can be said for Basso.

    I reckon Basso could win another GT (Giro or Vuelta). He's done pretty well in his racing season back.

    Two Top5s in not bad, and I'm sure he will improve. He'd be relying on misfortune to both Contador and Schleck for a win in July though.

    Pretty much.

    Certainly a rival for wiggins, armstrong eta al in the fight for the final podium spot.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Basso in the hot seat!

    610x-141-1.jpg

    Gazzetta.
    "I believe that I’ll be racing the Giro and Tour with big ambitions,” said Basso. I’ll start later than usual [on March 22 at the Vuelta a Catalunya] to dedicate myself to the detailed physical preparation that I was not able to this year. So I'm convinced he can reduce the gap even in the time trial, and return to my former level."

    Nibali wanted out so not sure if that mean Liquigas will pander to him more to inctice him to stay after 2010 or give him no favours for snubbing them.
    "I've always dreamed of becoming the leader of a team, at least for a series of races, so I asked Liquigas if they would release me a year early. Since my contract with Liquigas ends in December 2010 and has no get out clause, it was not possible to sign an agreement with Sky."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I read something recently where Graham Watson said that Basso's 'attack' in the Giro with Garzelli was actually fake. He had told the leaders he wanted tv exposure and so would attack then drop back!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I'm glad he changed his shoes to white...I think he has a great race face when he gets going but I wan't going to edit any photos of him with those black sidis.

    610x-38-3.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Well, according to the fans of that other returnee and his gospel, you cannot be immediately back to peak form, after several years absence.
    So, considering Basso's rustiness, I'd say 2-4/5 places in 2 GTs must bode well for 2010.
    After all, fans of that other returnee trot out his similar results, to argue that he will be fighting for overall Tour victory, come next season.
    Given that Basso is 6 years his junior and he is already several years past his use by date.....

    Of course, none of this factors in a Contador approaching his peak and Schleck with a further year of development, under his belt.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • i'd bet my house on Basso to win the Giro next year ... Menchov won't get lucky twice with the TT and Evans will be lucky if he gets an invite with BMC likely focussing on the ToC ... I would have picked Liepheimer if riding without Lance to look after but again ToC rules ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
Sign In or Register to comment.