Rutland cycling

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited November 2010 in MTB buying advice
Many people bought from here?

Its just, i'm used to CRC/Wiggle getting my money ASAP, and they don't seem to have processed my order :(

Hope this doesn't turn into another "ahh its in stock on our site but we don't actually have it till February" jobby.

Comments

• missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    I've used their eBay shop, they only offered Parcelforce 48, but I needed it pretty much next day - they refused to upgrade the item to Parcelforce 24. Apart from that, good service I guess - answer the phone quickly which is always a bonus.

Mind you, the eBay half of Rutland Cycling is different from the actual web shop so your mileage may vary.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i had no problems with their ebay shop. quick delivery etc.

and i agree with ben, i neraly always use CRC or wiggle
  • hmm fair enough.. I did phone them with a query and they answered immediatly.. think i'm just an impatient git :lol:

Trying not to use CRC if I can this time because they always seem to mess something up for me :( (I know the majority of people liek them, but I haven't really shopped around before :))
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    I can't speak highly enough of them.
    I bought some Specialized BG gloves that the padding collapsed on. They replaced no problem but the different type of gloves i asked for didn't fit. So they agreed to change them again for some other gloves but they turned out to be on back order from the stockist...........cut a long story short they upgraded my order and allowed me to get a pair of 661 Raji gloves in a straight swap despite the fact that they were £5 more expensive with no additional cost to me. They also responded to all my emails the same day they were sent.
    I have ordered other stuff from them and will be going back for more.
    EXCELLENT !!
    I ride therefore I am
  • why me? WHY ME?!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

This always happens.
    The forks have been taken off the site, and my order left at await process.

Phoned them up and it sounds like they can't get them... either for that price or just can't get them from supplier.

The very nice and helpful lady on the phone is now phoning the supplier to check whats happening and will give me a call back soon :(

EDIT: Had a call back.... suppliers are dry :(
    Won't get the forks till mid Jan, but its annoying because I now have to save £350 in my bank till then bacuase they won't take the money till they're sent.

So i'm kinda lost as to what I should do :(
  • Send me the money and I'll look after it for you, no charge...........no seriously no charge :lol:

Tis a pain in the neck to be sure, I too hate CRC, wont use them again if I can help it. Wiggle is where its at.

What exact forks are you trying to get, maybe one of us may be able to find them elsewhere? :D
  • lol^

Looking for 2010 rev race dual air... they were £350 on rutland and I haven't seen them better anywhere else.

Seeing as though my order is already placed at that price i'm not gonna cancel it till I can confirm I can get the same at a similar price :(

i'm actually pretty pissed that they didn't phone me to tell me this. Thats pretty crap that I had to contact them.
  • maxle light... white preferably but not too fussed I guess.
  • Brought my saracen from there ebay shop, came literally the next day, I paid for it at 12.30 and it was delivered to my work at 11 the following day!
    they were very helpful, gave me £10 back because I moaned the gears were not set up properly!
    The headset broke after 3 miles but they sent out a cane creek replacement and paid to have it fitted. couldnt be happyer.....
    the girl you speak to is marion.....shes dead helpfull.
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Ben, have you tried an LBS or a branch of Evans? Most would probably price match Rutland for you if you ask, Evans definitely do.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    same happened with me early this year from rutland, i ordered (and paid for!!) a carbon enduro frames set inc forks for about 700 quid, was chuffed until about 3 days later after having taken my money, i was informed the frame wasnt actually available.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Torres wrote:
    Ben, have you tried an LBS or a branch of Evans? Most would probably price match Rutland for you if you ask, Evans definitely do.

He'll struggle to get them to price match when the forks are no longer on the site
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    if they have been removed then take your order conf (usually emailed after placing your order) should have all details and then explain they are waiting a fresh supply (dont say when) and say you need asap...

hope it helps.
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • Sorry to hear your story, ben. I bought my Pylon8 and my better half's Zena2 from them, arrived on second day after payment. I'm expecting some Polaris Vortex gloves (£12); Mr Crud road racer mudguards (£19); Met Testagrossa helmet (£35) anytime.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • The big bunch of liars!!!!

I got my forks today!! :D haha.... bloody brilliant if not a little confusing 8)

Cheers Rutland :)
  • Haha, happy days!

Got my order today too, was like Xmas Day (On-One 100mm 40 degree OS stem plus long front brake bolt for Felt F5C arrived, plus 18T ALfine sprocket for Pylon8).

Post a pic or two once the forks are fitted :P
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Haha, happy days!

Got my order today too, was like Xmas Day (On-One 100mm 40 degree OS stem plus long front brake bolt for Felt F5C arrived, plus 18T ALfine sprocket for Pylon8).

Post a pic or two once the forks are fitted :P
    I need the frame 1st :P
    That'll be here after xmas hopefully :)
  • I'm glad I found this thread as I was beggining to think it was just me.

I ordered a pressure suit from Rutland because they were a good tenner cheaper. On there actual website, not ebay, and then 2 days later get an email from them saying the item is out of stock, they'll order it and if it takes longer then a week they'll be in touch.
    I'd have had the item if I'd ordered it through Wiggle/CRC and can see if they have stock or not. But not to worry. So I canceeld it paid an extra tenner and got the item next day from CRC.

So in order to give then the benefit of the doubt and the fact that they are also a lot cheaper..

I've ordered my TLD D2 History CARBON for £179 from them in xl/xxl On the 2nd of Jan.
    Email arrives on the 4th saying its out of stock and they are ordering it then, it shouldn't be more than a week or they will let me know.

Now I know the weather is pants, but the week is way up and I've had no contact from them at all and have had to start chasing them. This isn't good service at all, and I think its quite misleading. I know they dont take for the money until the goods are shipped thats a legal requirement isn't it ? and no-one is allowed to do otherwise as far as I know.

Its just wastes everyones time.

So I feel a bit disheartened and dont think my Helmet will arrive, particularly as I order a new Stand from Wiggle yesterday morning and already there's a box sitting next to my my desk today.

Thats service.
    spontaneity - it can go either way
    www.mtbtv.co.uk
    www.green-bananas.net
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    I ordered some Royal Stealth downhill trousers from them over Xmas hols - 3 days later got the no stock message, shall try source and deliver express.

Waited a bit, then contacted them to see how long - turns out they are now discontinued! Luckily they haven't taken any cash.

Frustrating though, wish companies would sort their online stock levels!
  • I sent them an email and rung them to find out if there's any news and they've been in touch with the disty and they dont know either which is fun.

So I should be getting a call back tomorrow.

Without them being able to defend themselves and as much as I am a little disheartened by everything, I think I know whats going on here.

They simply do what software resellers have been doing for years, but with cycle gear.

The online place carries no stock, jthey just have a catalogue of products that are available. When the order comes in, a quick check on the computer to see if therea ny at one of the hsops and if not the order is placed with the disty. The goods get shipped either direct from the disty or via Rutland.

I've alwasy knwos it as dropship and Its great when it works and helps keep the prices down as you dont have vast amounts of stock to shift, but when distribution lets you down, its you that losses face.

I suspect from the number of sales and stuff teh wiggle and CRC have, they do the stack them high sell them cheap thing, buy ten of everything and just keep cutting the price until they're alll gone.

I guess thems the breaks
    www.mtbtv.co.uk
    www.green-bananas.net
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i had 2010 rev races from rutland, came next day for £220. :D
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Nothing I have ordered from Rutland has ever been in stock and I've always had to wait. The last thing I bought was my S Works helmet (for xmas!) and was told it was out of stock and would be about a week. Five days later it arrived. The day after that I was told it had been packed and was ready to be despatched.... :roll:
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Rutland Cycling is pretty good, I've been to many bike shops, the service, pricing and stock on show is second to none. Anything they don't have they'll order in at very competitive prices. Haven't used their online store though.
  • I just got an email saying, they cant get it now and is there an alternative product they can supply.,

I can't really say I'm all that impressed, The two times I've tried and twice its happened.
    I don't think I'll try again. It could just be coincidence and Im sure that as a shop they are really good.

But I feel I've wasted 11 days waiting for a helmet to not turn up that I wanted for this weekend.

Oh well, looks like Im hitting the phones.
    www.mtbtv.co.uk
    www.green-bananas.net
  • MarkDon
    MarkDon Posts: 200
    I've tried a few shops over the last two weeks, and none have gone smoothly.

Best one was Sunsetmtb, i ordered some V8 pedals & some shorts, that was on 28th dec, heard nothing so rang them up, they didnt have the shorts in stock, due in yesterday. Fair enough, but should have let me know, open inbox today and they have upgraded the pedals to V12's for my delay, pretty cool.
    2009 Kona Blast Deluxe - W.I.P Started...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12693279
  • Its brilliant when places do that. :D
    www.mtbtv.co.uk
    www.green-bananas.net
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Used Rutland once, they wasted my time, won't go back, not when there are others that are 99.9% reliable.
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    Ive used Rutland a couple of times recently.

I wanted to place an order for a couple of parts. One of which they were the cheapest, the other they were not. I gave them the option to price match on the one which they were not. not only did they match the price, they bettered it be a few quid. Neither were in stock, but both were sourced and delivered within a week.

I have been very impressed by their service. They might not have the 24 hour turn around capability that CRC do, but they do undercut CRC by a significant amount on a suprising number of products.

Depends what your priorities are.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Middle of last year I ordered a new helmet and shin gaurds. I got one of them within a week (still not as quick as CRC or Wiggle) but the other I didn't get for about 3 weeks :cry: (another of these "ahh its in stock on our website but we won't have it until..."). When I finally got the item it was faulty but this time I got a replacement within 3 days. :D

I still avoid them like the plauge though unles they have a really good price on something I don't imediatly need