New bike

fearnsy
fearnsy Posts: 278
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi there i'm 15 and looking for a new bike. i have about £200 to spend. I recognise that a used bike is probably the best option. I'm looking for a hardtail with decent forks and disc brakes. I figured it would be cheaper to get a new bike than get everything I wan't doing on my old. Tap Back, cheers :)
Trek 930 singletrack 06-08
Pinnacle Peak 2.0 08-10
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate 11-

Comments

• Hey,

Have you looked at the carrera vulcan from halfords? Think it is about 200 not sure but has a good frame, disk brakes and decent forks. Can be a good base for upgrades when you can afford it or when things wear out.

Cheers taff

EDIT:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Might have to wait for one of halfords big sales
  • just my 2p worth mate,
    take care if your buying second hand from places, I have always tryed to buy new, simply because you could be buying a stolen bike or such,...........this forum seems to have a nice selection of great members,....maybe you could ask about to see if anyone here has got owt for sale..................failing that, like whats allready been posted.......carrera from Halfrauds, or check out the gt selection, they normally have 20% off them often......again not sure if anything would fall into your catogory
    A bike is only as good as the rider!
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    I would have a look at a second hand decathlon rockrider or a cheaper new one, very good spec for the price and good reviews, again the vulcan is a good buy aswell
    Heres the rockrider
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-mtb-3962638/
  • yeh i was in your position a few years back. I got a new GT Aggressor 3 (2007), as WMB voted it the best bike for that kinda cash. I wouldn't get discs of any kind, concentrate on getting a solid frame with forks that just work. If you pay for gimmicks like lockout then be sure to lose out on a more important aspect of the bike.
  • fearnsy
    cheers guys keep them coming what do you think of these ones?
    giant terrago
    gt aggressor xtc 2
    kona firemountain

ps if you spot any auctions going cheap or a decent second hand one
    mention please :):)
    Pinnacle Peak 2.0 08-10
  • fearnsy
    *gt aggressor xc 2
    Pinnacle Peak 2.0 08-10
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    I've got a Kona Firemountain and it does me alright. Disc brakes are alright for mechanical ones. I ride it to work and back daily and across the South Downs at the weekends and it hasn't crapped out yet and I'm a tubby 30 something year old!
  • fearnsy
    Hi again just bought a 2008 pinnacle peak 2.0 for £110 + £30 for delivery bargain :):);):)C
    Pinnacle Peak 2.0 08-10
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    good call bullfreerider!
    i used to ride a gt aggressor for a few years and was able to spec it up when i had money.
    whatever you do, get a decent frame that you can upgrade.
    its only my opinion but i would avoid carrera and halfrauds if you can, i have only really heard bad stories! i know that where many gt's come from but i think you could get a better second hand one on ebay for your money :D
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222