Giant XTC 1 2008 vs Merlin Malt 1 2010 vs Kona Kula 2008

OliWoods
OliWoods Posts: 12
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
really like the look of the kona I just spotted...

the Malt is a safe choice (might the others be rusty?)

opinions?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The XTC and Kula are racy, XC oriented frames. The MALT is a bit more relaxed and shorter in stature. I would also say it is heavier than the other two - fairly basic is the MALT1 frame.
  • Malt 1,basic frame,but good spec,v XTC good frame,but quite racy v Kula,which has slacker geometry.XTC and Kula both have good frames and possibly a better base to upgrade.

Even though I like my XTC and have beenbigging up the current Malt 1 deal,I`d be going for the Kula deal at Pauls cycles.

08 for £599 or 09 for £750.

If they have one in the right size,I`d go for the 08.Same spec ,nicer colour and £150 cheaper.

At full rrp I think they are a bit overpiced but at this price they compare very well,plus you have the luxury of 1" sizing increments so fit should be spot on.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • yep, the '08 was the one I was looking at.

not sure I will leap at it though, must be more options out there?
  • OliWoods wrote:
    yep, the '08 was the one I was looking at.

not sure I will leap at it though, must be more options out there?

Whats your budget? For £600 the bikes you v`e already suggested are about as good as you`ll get.

Carrera Fury is about the only other bargain,I can recall of late.Might be lucky and find an 09 Rockhopper disc but spec won`t be as good as those above.(Great frame though)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • supersonic
    You can get a GT Zaskar Elite 2009 for 799. Has a motion control fork too. Tough frames, but steep and long.
  • I can only, strongly reccomend you go try a few.When I bought my XTC I tried a Kona,GT Avalanche,Marin,etc,and there was a fair bit of difference in the way each rode which can never be conveyed by merely looking at specs.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • I'm planning to go up to pauls this weekend to try a few, the only way I can tell!

the zaskar is too much, £800 was my original limit but I don't think it gives much more (in fact it seems like less) for the added price.

kona still seems the best option at the moment, just need to see if it fits me (I'm not exactly short!)
  • supersonic
    Fork and frame is where the benfits are with the Zaskar really, the Tora Race being somewhat better than the Recon SL on the Giant. Better wheels too.

The Kula is great value at £600