Look Keo Classic pedals, any better than 105 SPD-SL?

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Hi.

I'm thinking of having a change, but wondering if the look system is better?

Do cleats last longer?
Are they better to walk in?
Do they last longer?
Clipping in/out any different/better?
Do they have better float than Shimano SPD-SL Pedals?

Thanks
Will.

Comments

• I recommend Speedplays for their freer float, especially if you have wonky knees.
    spamspam.jpg
  • freehub
    What's the cheapest speedplays you can get?

And would the Keo Classic not be worth it over my 105 SPD-SL's or give any benefit?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    TBH Speedplay "look" pretty good with the option of longer pedal axles - I could possibly benefit from the longer axles.

However the pricing is stupid - the axles cost the same price as the complete pedal system with the standard axle length. Basically doubling the pedal price - axle length should be an option at point of purchase really.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    freehub wrote:
    I'm thinking of having a change, but wondering if the look system is better?
    Do cleats last longer?
    Are they better to walk in?
    Do they last longer?
    Clipping in/out any different/better?
    Do they have better float than Shimano SPD-SL Pedals?
    1/ No. SPD-SL cleats hardly seem to wear at all. I have just replaced my first set after over 4 years use. I only needed to do that because I had to walk up 1K of over 25% and it wore the 'walking pads' off. The cleats still clipped in and out fine once I had cut the damaged pad off.
    2/ Yes. The 'pads' give better grip on smooth floors. Also see above.
    3/ I would say yes but have not used Keo so can not be sure.
    4/ What do you mean by 'better'. More, less or looser? I like the float on my SLs. I clip in and get my feet settled in a comfortable position and they do not move after that. To me float means I do not have to set the cleat as carefully as a non floating one. That is all. I hate the feel of my feet being able to slop around.
    Unless you have any problems with SLs I see no reason to change. It would just cost you money.
  • redddraggon
    Will, speedplays would offer you an advantage for your Knees, otherwise you are probably better off sticking with SPD-SL if you won't buy some speedplays., especially as you are a Shimano fanboy.
    John.T wrote:
    1/ No. SPD-SL cleats hardly seem to wear at all

Mine only last a few months in Manchester.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • John.T
    John.T wrote:
    1/ No. SPD-SL cleats hardly seem to wear at all
    Mine only last a few months in Manchester.
    What bit wears Red. My oldest set have done about 9000 miles now and are still tight. I still have the pedals set to light and have never had any unwelcome unclips. The only problem I have had was with R540s when the plastic pad on the pedal wears. No problem with my Ultegra with the metal plate. The R540s are now on the track bike, still set light, and were fine yesterday.
  • redddraggon
    It's just my right cleat that wears, generally the right one is totally dead while the left one is still pretty good condition. I unclip my right foot at junctions/lights.

Incidentally my cleats last far longer in Wales.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    John.T, I can't help but notice everything you has seems to last forever?

A pair of cleats at the longest have lasted my about 6 months, chain, 3500 miles untill it got to wear limit, my Shimano Wheels about 4500 maybe, on about 3500 now, another 1000 and I reckon they'll be shot going concave allready and I've properly cleaned em.
  • redddraggon
    4000miles is not really much for cared for wheels - My Ventos on my Ribble have done over 4000miles and the rims aren't showing that much wear.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    Well I try clean mine as best as I can....
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Wear on wheels or SPD cleats will be down to the conditions they are used in though won't they. If you walk out your back door, hop on your bike and barely have to unclip everytime you go for a ride, wear on your SPDs is going to be pretty limited. If you're unclipping a lot a lights then they will wear more quickly.

Likewise if you ride country lanes and have little need to use much brake your wheels are going to last a lot longer than when you are commuting through the grime and sh*te of manchester roads and constantly on and off the brakes in heavy traffic (and my commuter gets cleaned less regularly, a lot less regularly)

Will, the wear on the SPD-SLs is pretty good, you have to pretty much destroy the base before you get to the point of it affecting clipping in. I dont think the Looks will give you any benefit from a wear or float perspective and iirc the cheapest Looks don't have tension adjustment like the 105s do.
  • redddraggon
    Slow1972 wrote:
    iirc the cheapest Looks don't have tension adjustment like the 105s do.

105s are probably better compared to Look Keo Classics (which have Tension adjustment) rather than Look Keo Easy (which have no adjustment)

Keo Classics are roughly the same price as 105s, but Easys are about £10 cheaper.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • John.T
    edited November 2009
    Red. I don't commute so nearly all my riding is pleasure, training or racing which means I do not unclip as much. I also do not use the SLs so much in winter as I have SPD on the winter bikes. That does help with wear. I do not know how Keos compare with Delta but my riding mates who use Delta are for ever getting bits worn / broken off the rear clip area and coming out of the pedals at the wrong moments.

Will. Best bike stuff does last a long time as it does not get the winter cr*p thrown at it. On the winter bike rims last about 6000 miles / 2 winters on average. I use Koolstop Salmon brake blocks as I have found they do not wreck the rims as much as some.
    Chain perhaps 4000 depending on the weather. I use Dura-ace, Wipperman Conex and lately KMC chains. Which ever mid range ones are on offer at the time. I will change early to save the cassette which I hope to get 3 chains out of. I have always used Ultegra cassettes as I have found them to wear well. Not tried 105 as they were not a lot cheaper and I did not want to risk them not lasting as well.
    Otherwise just keep the bike reasonably clean and well lubed. I do not wash it after every ride but always after a particularly mucky one.
  • freehub
    I'll stick with my 105's then.

I've got 2 pairs of Koolstop Salmons on order for my wheels, It'll be interesting to see if they're any better for braking and wheel wear than these cheapo brake pads I have.

I clean my bike after every wet ride, well if I have 2 rides at the weekend, then only once, but after every ride I strip to drivetrain of as much oil as possible and get it all looking new again and re lube.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I've done 14000-15000 kilometers on my SPDs (NOT SLs) and have probably walked about 20k on them when mooching about town. The actual pedals are fine and the cleats only look a little bit worn compared to new ones. They can take a hell of a beating and they're dead cheap so i'd recommend them. I just don't know if they'd work for you though, as you've got this knee thing and they're insanely stiff with literally no movement at all.
  • freehub
    I prefer SPD SL's, my SPD pedals and cleats probably would last that long, I only sue it for commuting and the shoes are the main shoes I use day to day, but the cleats are metal.
  • Keo grip cleats (you can't walk in the others, trust me) are very good but wear very quickly. They have pieces of rubber glued onto the cleat, if you commute or stop a lot on rides for tea and cake etc they will last months. They are expensive rrp as well. I still ride Keo's though :roll:
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er