Riser bar for XC/trail

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 59,856
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at getting a riser bar for my Anthem - it comes with a Race Face Evolve 600mm/23.6" XC flat bar as standard but I reckon a slightly higher bar will suit me better. Seems as if the Anthems sold in the summer of this year came with risers as standard so looks like I missed out :(

I don't need anything extra strong as its for XC and trail use and don't want it to be much wider than the current one - maybe up to 25".

Any suggestions for around the £50 mark?

Cheers,
Steve.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    carbon cycles, loads of options, cheap and top quality too
  • Stevo_666
    rowlers wrote:
    carbon cycles, loads of options, cheap and top quality too
    Thanks for that Rowlers - looks good vfm for carbon 8) Do you need to buy the handlebar plugs separately or do the bars come with them?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Anyone else got any top tips for riser bars?
  • I bought Raceface Deus risers.At 210g they are the weight of some carbon offerings,have a really nice rise and sweep,and at 660mm a decent width.Got mine with the matching stem for £50 from CRC a couple of years back,but think you can still get them for less than £50.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • 2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Stevo_666
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    how about easton ea70's, going pretty cheap at merlin plus 3 rise options
    here you go
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... -bars.html
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Jenson USA are doing the Easton EA70 at £17.33 plus around £10 P&P which is still a great deal. I'm not sure about import-duties, but I've ordered one so I'll find out soon enough!

I may be teaching my grandmother to suck-eggs, but make sure your stem clamp size is the same as your new bar!
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    bloody hell SJP under £30, now thats a bargain!
    just had a look at the website and they do the easton sl for £50 :shock:
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • Stevo_666
    Christ, that''s cheap - good spot :) IME import duties and VAT add about 20% or so to the price, provided the courier company doesn't try to sting you with a rip off 'admin fee'.

Choices, choices....
  • Hi Steve

Onone were selling FSA 220 carbon coated alum. o/s. risers weight 215grams for £20 + £7 p&p. Just got a set last week and they're magic.

cheers
    Gordon
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Christ, that''s cheap - good spot :) IME import duties and VAT add about 20% or so to the price, provided the courier company doesn't try to sting you with a rip off 'admin fee'.

Choices, choices....

So in theory that makes a Monkeylite SL about £70...

Tempted :D
  • Sorry. forgot to put link to Onone sale bars.

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/i ... 220CW.html

cheers
    Gordon
  • S_J_P wrote:
    Jenson USA are doing the Easton EA70 at £17.33 plus around £10 P&P which is still a great deal. I'm not sure about import-duties, but I've ordered one so I'll find out soon enough!

Let us know how you get on once they arrive - I'm tempted to order a few bits off Jenson myself but I'm always worried about import duties and fees.

That is an amazing deal though!
  • S_J_P
    ashfanman wrote:
    Let us know how you get on once they arrive - I'm tempted to order a few bits off Jenson myself but I'm always worried about import duties and fees.

That has always been my concern, but with a price like that, plus another £10 for an Easton AM stem, I thought I'd risk the wrath of customs and give it a try! If I end up paying another £27 in tax/charges I'll break-even on UK prices.
  • Stevo_666
    Some good news on import duty and import VAT for small orders: have a look at the bit about ordering from outside the EU:
    http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageImport_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_001454&propertyType=document

Cheers,
    Steve.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Here is a nicely priced bar:

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/105692.html

Just a bit wider, just a bit higher - and only 225g for 20 quid.
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks SS

That's enough choices to go shopping now 8)
  • S_J_P
    ashfanman wrote:

My bar & stem arrived this morning (ordered on Monday) and no extra charges to pay :D

Everything was in original Easton boxes and brand new, and for half the UK price. I'll definitely be using Jenson again!
  • Stevo_666
    S_J_P wrote:
    My bar & stem arrived this morning (ordered on Monday) and no extra charges to pay :D

Everything was in original Easton boxes and brand new, and for half the UK price. I'll definitely be using Jenson again!
    Thanks for testing that out for us mate :wink:
  • I have just bought and Orange Crush 2010 and it came with Race Face Ride Riser bars which look and feel great, but I swapped them out for some wider ones purely because I used to ride Moto-x so they are a bit too narrow at 640mm. That said they give a great riding position and certainly look sturdy

http://www.raceface.com/components/handlebars/45/

Got some laying around if you want to take them off me cheap
    Orange Crush 2010 avec DMR's
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks all for the tips, I went for the Race Face Deus (660mm, 1" rise) in black 'n' gold in the end :) Was tempted by the Monkeylite SL but the Jenson site said you can't use lock-ons....
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    ok, i suppose you might now be dissapointed to see that fsa gravity lites are £20 reduced from £70 if you've already bought the deus' then?
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/i ... CGRCW.html
    Great bars - i have them and they are nice and wide at 680mm, with a 20mm rise, but don't feel too wide and are quite light and strong too.
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks James: already bought it - that's life. Although the Deus was pretty much the spec I wanted in terms of width, rise and weight so I'm not feeling bad about it TBH.

Cheers,
    Steve.