How tough is the Giant XTC?

OliWoods
OliWoods Posts: 12
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
I currently ride a GT Avalanche 2.0 and am looking for an upgrade.

I ride mostly singletrack with the odd bombhole (thetford forest, if you know it) but want something that can take a small drop off or a bit of a jump.

the XTC is classified as an 'xc bike' - does this mean it will be flimsy and pathetic?

what are your thoughts? - any other hardtail recommendations up to about £800 would be welcome!

(I know the new xtc is well over £800, I'm looking at an old model)

Comments

• Depends on the year and model.

Mine is an 06 with Reba forks and light but fairly tough parts,(mainly XT)and has been given a fair amount of stick and has certainly managed the odd drop off and jump.

Mine gets ridden round Swinley and Woburn and is just fine.

It does have fairly racy geometry,and a much more stretched out position than you will be used to on your Avalanche though.

I rode mine with the forks set at 85mm for a while which made it extremely quick to steer,but changing the fork travel, by removing the internal spacer, to 100mm made descending much better without affecting the steering too much.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Thanks,

its the 2008 xtc 1 I'm looking at.

sounds like it should be up to the job!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Depends what you mean by jumps and drop-offs I suppose, but mine (06 or 07) has done trail centres, the Peak, the Dyfi Enduro etc etc with no problems, although I don't get huge air and often bottle-drop offs!

:?
  • I'm not going to go throwing it off ten foot drops, but I want something that will stand up to being 'ridden' without spending over £800

alternatively I could massively upgrade my gt?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is a lighter frame than the GT, but probably not as tough. And as mentioned, has racier geometry, and is limited to a 100mm fork.

Anything actually wrong with the GT?
  • the whole drivetrain is shot (literally)
    the fork won't lock out
    the brakes have a leak
    the wheels are buckled
    needs new tyres
    headset is knackered

that's about it!
  • supersonic
    Probably not much point in upgrading it lol.

Why not look at a higher model Aggressor or Avalanche Expert?
  • lost trust in GT, lbs reckon the cheap components are to blame.

I'm only really looking at the xtc because of the spec I can get for the money - recon air, juicy 3's, xt bits and bobs.

It would be the avalanche expert I would look at, not quite as good spec wise.

not really looked much at others but merlin malt 1 / genesis core looks good?
  • supersonic
    Cheap componnents? It was a cheap bike, but better components than you'd find on most bikes of the same cost! Most others would have dropped to bits much sooner. Though maintenance plays a big part.
  • Hudster
    Hudster Posts: 142
    GT cannot really be blamed for the parts. They are what they are.

More expensive bits do last longer, but they still wear and will require replacement and maintenance. If the whole bike is worn and you are not particularly in love with the frame, then it can be most cost effective to replace the entire bike (what a mad world we live in).

Giant XTCs are good bikes, but I would try and get a test ride and see if you like it or at least get to sit on it to check it fits ok. It'll be strong enough to be 'ridden' but it is a XC bike so if you are giving it some really substantial abuse then it's probably not a good idea. However, I suspect that it will be more than up to what you want it for.
  • I tend to agree with you on the parts - that was just what I was told, they did say that even the most expensive bits wear out, though.

how about a November special malt 1 for £500?
  • I tested an Avalanche before buying my XTC.They are quite different,so see if you can have a go before you buy.

Parts spec on that XTC is pretty good,the Recon is a good reliable fork,Juicy 3s should provide good stopping power.

Might be wise to upgrade the wheels,but they are as good as can be expected ,and to be honest the wheels on most sub £1500 bikes aren`t that great these days.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    you may have lost faith in GT but look at the aggressor XCR it has a fantasic spec, xt, juicy 3's, zocchi 44's.... andd it certainly can take a beating, perfect for trail centres and aggro XC
    I like bikes and stuff

• starting a new thread....