XC full face helmets?

alitodd
alitodd Posts: 104
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys :D
Before people say the obvious 'man up' comment, I value my face more than sniggering bystanders :?
I ride aggressive XC: Singletrack, enduro's and the occasional very light DH.
I currently have a full face helmet, but on the climbs it completely stifles me. I have a budget of up to £70... (yes, not very big)
Any advice please? Experience?
Thanks very much
I know not where I am going, my future will decide. But it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride.

Giant Reign X1 2009 (With shiny bits)

Comments

• Don't worry, you'll not the only one, i am also looking for something similar, although to be honest i am more worried about looking like a complete twit! (i'm 15)
    So i would appreciate peoples advice as well!
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Full face helmets will alway be rather warm, even in the gloomy British winter time. I run a 661 full comp for when i fancy doing something daft, and that is very, very warm.
    I've heard good things about the specialized deviant, loads of vents, but that will still be quite toasty.

Have you thought about buying a new bag with a helmet carrier? Then you could strap your fully on and wear a ormal lid for the climbs, swap at the top, and hurtle down the other side fully protected?

It's not an idea solution, especialy if your rides are very up and down, but the only other options i can think of are boiling on the way up, o risk ripping your mug off on the way down.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Spend the money improving your skills instead
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    M6TTF wrote:
    Everyone crashes, doesn't matter how skilled you are, and it only takes one bad off to do a hella lot of damage.
    Whilst the parachute is a good idea, i don't personally like it. This is just my opinion of course, but it looks very flimsy, and i've heard of the jaw protector snapping and just making matters worse. Others swear by them though. Probaby an idea to fnd one to try before you decide though.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • M6TTF wrote:

Utter bolox - I am a competent, seasoned rider, and on a recent XC ride I:

Broke nose

Split my lip open with 4 stitches as my tooth went through them

Am sore to fuck....

It pays to have extra protection, if you are tackling anything more than singletrack/moderate XC.... any large drop offs/stony/et technical sections......
  • alitodd
    alitodd Posts: 104
    Thanks for the advice :)
    I've also heard mixed opinions of the parachute... has anyone on here got one of these?
    Obviously it's not going to take 15 foot drops or faceplants at 35mph, but hopefully it'd take most of the punch of a reasonable off...
    And are there any more helmets similar to the parachute around? lightweight things?
    and no, even the best of bikers can't totally prevent a fall, and the better your skills, the faster you'd be going as you fall...
    I know not where I am going, my future will decide. But it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride.

Giant Reign X1 2009 (With shiny bits)
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Torres wrote:
    M6TTF wrote:
    Everyone crashes, doesn't matter how skilled you are, and it only takes one bad off to do a hella lot of damage.
    Whilst the parachute is a good idea, i don't personally like it. This is just my opinion of course, but it looks very flimsy, and i've heard of the jaw protector snapping and just making matters worse. Others swear by them though. Probaby an idea to fnd one to try before you decide though.
    Never used one my self. I don't see why people go so over the top with protection. For normal trail center stuff you shouldn't really need more than the normal helmet and gloves IMO (Well the Welsh trails anyway). You see some people @ Afan with more protection that a Motor GP rider sweating thier nuts off on the Penhydd !!

That said when I got my first MTB back 80's there wasn't much about in the way of protection. I grew up without it and don't feel the need for it. I've had some major offs but maybe I've just been really lucky (you watch next time out I'm going to lose a leg or somthing now !! :roll: ).

Bt to give you an idea of how I ride ... I ride Le Gets in my usual sumer XC kit. But thats what I'm comfortable riding in.
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    I have a Met parachute and wore it in the pyrenees this summer. I found it light, comfortable for all day riding and the chin guard definitely provides some moderate protection (although in no way should it be considered a full face helmet) I face planted whilst riding of a 4 ft high terrace.. I am 15st and the helmet did not break. It did not "penetrate my windpipe" or "rotate" in any way. What it did do is save my grid from a mullering.

I have read so many negative comments about these helmets from people who DON'T OWN ONE and think that this is predominantly based on the fact that they look different. I personally probably wouldn't wear mine for the majority of riding I do but they definitely do provide some additional face protection.
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF wrote:

Utter bolox - I am a competent, seasoned rider, and on a recent XC ride I:

Broke nose

Split my lip open with 4 stitches as my tooth went through them

Am sore to fark....

It pays to have extra protection, if you are tackling anything more than singletrack/moderate XC.... any large drop offs/stony/et technical sections......

why is it 'utter bollox'? I didn't say you wouldn't fall off - I merely suggested that the money could be put to better use than a full face lid. Of course everyone falls off, some more than others, and some people are lucky and get away with nothing more than a few bruises whereas others land awkwardly and end up in a world of misery.

I've ridden since I was a teenager (more years than I can remember :() and have never used armour/full face lid/pads and still feel I have no need for it. But that's what the freedom of choice is all about.
  • I'd certainly go for the Spesh Deviant over the Met Parachute.
    If you can afford it, go for the carbon version (Wiggle currently have them in at £100).
    Obviously, it's still going to be hotter than an open-face helmet, but imho it's the best compromise there is.

Edit: Actually, if you were to order it today, you could use the voucher codes to get another £20 off. Making it just £80.

2nd Edit: Ignore me, I'm being a mong. Wiggle don't have them anymore. But you can get an 08 carbon one from Cycle Store for £100.
  • Parachute is the best had one for 6 years still use it if I go xc with girlfriend just remove the front .
    And it's just like a normal xc lid when has full face on plenty of air floing true .
    It save my looks a few times on a trip up to Scotland .
    For me having full face and pads proved my riding ,
    gives you extra confidence £99 worth evry peny:)
  • I have a Met Parachute as do plenty of my mates, it's a great helmet and has saved my face getting smashed up a number of times.
  • warrerj wrote:
    Never used one my self. I don't see why people go so over the top with protection. For normal trail center stuff you shouldn't really need more than the normal helmet and gloves IMO (Well the Welsh trails anyway). You see some people @ Afan with more protection that a Motor GP rider sweating thier nuts off on the Penhydd !!

That said when I got my first MTB back 80's there wasn't much about in the way of protection. I grew up without it and don't feel the need for it. I've had some major offs but maybe I've just been really lucky (you watch next time out I'm going to lose a leg or somthing now !! :roll: ).

Bt to give you an idea of how I ride ... I ride Le Gets in my usual sumer XC kit. But thats what I'm comfortable riding in.

Really, you honestly don't know why people want to protect themselves from smashing themselves up? I don't know what you're trying to convey in this post, are we supposed to be impressed that you ride les gets without armour? Do you also boast that you never wear a seatbelt in the car?
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    a Giro Remedy Fibreglass Full Face Helmet would be one to try on, if you can find the right size at £70. sorry thats all i can really think of.
  • I have a Met Parachute as do plenty of my mates, it's a great helmet and has saved my face getting smashed up a number of times.

+1
    Great helmet.
  • M6TTF
    warrerj wrote:

Really, you honestly don't know why people want to protect themselves from smashing themselves up? I don't know what you're trying to convey in this post, are we supposed to be impressed that you ride les gets without armour? Do you also boast that you never wear a seatbelt in the car?

troll
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I'd certainly go for the Spesh Deviant over the Met Parachute.
    If you can afford it, go for the carbon version (Wiggle currently have them in at £100).
    Obviously, it's still going to be hotter than an open-face helmet, but imho it's the best compromise there is.

Edit: Actually, if you were to order it today, you could use the voucher codes to get another £20 off. Making it just £80.

2nd Edit: Ignore me, I'm being a mong. Wiggle don't have them anymore. But you can get an 08 carbon one from Cycle Store for £100.
    totaly agree, the spesh deviant is prob the best helmet for hardcore AM riding out there, it meets all the pro DH race safty standards, and at the same time had good venting.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I am also looking for a lighter DH type lid and am keen on this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=58789
  • Bit above your budget but I'd take the Casco Viper over the Parachute any day...
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    same dilema here: in the end I just bought a regular FF (661 comp cos i got it for £40 ), just bought for snowdon and some other all the way up-all the way down rides where a tumble into rocks is likely if not certain.

I lash it to the backpack on the way up. it also muffles my girly screams on the way down :lol:

everything else regular lid.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have owned a Parachute for a couple of years now. Obv not in the same league as a proppa FF but great at deflecting low-flying branches and turning OTB moments into something you can laugh about with a full set of teeth.

The stripped-out, well-ventilated interior is very Giro-shaped and impressively comfortable.
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    661 Evo @ chain reaction for £50 is a steal. Wore it up the Gurten yesterday (local mountain here in Switzerland) and wasn't overly sweaty, although temperature was only about 13 degrees.

However, had a freak accident at the top, bars went through the eye gap & gashed my eyebrow (many stitches needed). Just goes to show that, no matter how careful you are, & how you try to protect yourself, sometimes you're gonna get hurt.
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    MattJWL wrote:
    Just goes to show that, no matter how careful you are, & how you try to protect yourself, sometimes you're gonna get hurt.
    And sometimes, having a lot of protection encourages you to take more risks. Your self preservation instinct is something that should be listened to.

American football players, on average, suffer far more serious injuries than rugby players. They go in to tackles thinking that they are invincible because of the protection that they are wearing.

I'm not saying that protection is a bad thing, far from it, but don't think that you can survive anything just because you're wearing a FF lid.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    I'm not saying that protection is a bad thing, far from it, but don't think that you can survive anything just because you're wearing a FF lid.

+1: precisely what I was trying to convey, although my accident didn't have anything to do with bravado, or thinking I was invincible...
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • PaulBox wrote:
    So, does this mean you've gone off the idea of getting a full-face helmet, then? 8)

You do realise that if you get one, I'll have to get one, too. :cry: On the plus side, we probably won't be able to hear dog walkers shouting "tossers!" at us as we ride past them in the woods. :lol:

PS: I'm not saying people who wear FF helmets are tossers, but for the riding we do (a bit of gentle XC), such a thing would be MASSIVE overkill. ;)
    My "Bitsa": 7005 Alu h/tail, Marzocchi Bomber fork, Deore LX/XT/Acera trans, front: Mavic XC 717, XT hub, rear: On One Reetard, Planet X hub, Panaracer Fire XC Pro tyres, Cane Creek S6 h/set, Club Roost bars, Xero stem, Charge Spoon saddle.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    MorganP104 wrote:
    So, does this mean you've gone off the idea of getting a full-face helmet, then? 8)
    I have a FF motorbike lid in the garage, might just wear that to embarass you... :twisted:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    I wear knee/elbow pads and full face whenever I do anything techy or new. I wonder how many of the folks saying you don't need protection get sick pay? As a self employed photographer I simply don't care what I look like on the trails as long as I've taken as much precaution as possible without actually staying at home. If I get my face mashed or a rock through my knee cap it would actually cost me thousands as I would have to hire other photographers to cover my assignments!
    Anyway, point is I use a large camelbak that holds a full face helmet and swap as required OR simply take it off on climbs if they are just fireroads etc

Yes it's a PITA at times but that's the price I pay for the added protection, as well as a bit more confidence. If it makes you enjoy biking more, then forget what others think and just go for it
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Parachute's OK, but I don't like how far out the jawbone sticks- not hard to envision a crash in which that protection becomes a nice big lever for the purpose of twisting your head violently. Seems to me that it's not a bad concept but not a great design, but there's so little competition. Never seen a Casco Viper in the flesh but it looks much more compact.

Fit is most important though, all of these helmets are a liabilty if they don't fit.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • This is an interesting thread. I've just got myself a full face helmet free from Halfords (but unfortunately I didn't read this thread so I may find I overheat massively).

It's this one - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228869

It says it has 15 vents to keep your head cool. I haven't tried it yet (bike arriving on Monday) so i'll give it a go after then.

The reason I got one was because I do a lot of acting and I just can't afford to have a smashed up face if i'm filming as it could potentially cost me a lot of money in lost roles. Frankly, I don't care whether people think I look like a tit or not.