Giant price increase

poppit
poppit Posts: 926
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
Been looking at new bikes and using WMB's buyers guide. In the £1500+ race-ready class the Giant Anthem X1 comes out no1 at £2200. The 2010 version seems to have gone up by £545, surely it can't still be no1 at this price! Any suggestions what is the no1 bike I should be looking at in this class especially when it comes to value for money?
Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Dolan L'Etape
Cougar Zero Uno
Genesis Core 50
Planet X TOR

Comments

• there's an x3 and x4 in 2010. x3 is almost the 09 x2 spec wise and price wise.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Prices have been on the rise generally since last year, which is probably the main reason, but Giant may also be cashing in on the rave reviews the Anthems got last year. The X2 still looks like a nice package this year and it's the same frame.
  • poppit
    Prices have been on the rise generally since last year, which is probably the main reason, but Giant may also be cashing in on the rave reviews the Anthems got last year. The X2 still looks like a nice package this year and it's the same frame.

Agreed. Looking at the others in this class they've gone up £100-£200, Giant much more.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Look very carefully at the specs and youv`e got to say that the X1 isn`t really worth the extra over the X2.

The X2 still has mainly XT components and the change would buy you a very nice set of wheels,a lighter XT cassette and maybe some carbon bars and stem,which would put it ahead of the X1,in terms of weight.

For years Giant have been chaper than the competion,but as said above I think the rave reviews and higher profile they now have,means that this year, they are now on perceive themsleves as good as Specialized and Trek and the prices reflect that.

Some of the range is very expensive for what it is,most notably the Talon and this year`s XTC.

The entry level Anthem X4,is something of a bargain,though,and for once they seem to have spent the budget on the bits that matter,like the shock and forks,and cut costs on the bits that don`t hit performance so much,such as shifters and mechs.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Agree re the X4 being something of a deal. I picked one up last month and even got a bit of cash off the RRP. When you consider the frame retails for £995 ALONE, then the X4 is definite deal. Far better value than any of the other models IMO. And it rides like a demon!
  • poppit
    Not really looked at the X4, think it would be a bit too much of a jump from the bike I'm selling at the moment down to one with that spec'. You get used to the higher quality kit.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    they have changed the numbering of the anthem with x1 being last years x0 all the way down to x4 being last year x3 this is because they don't have x0 any more and they replaced it with the x4
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • llamafarmer
    poppit wrote:
    Not really looked at the X4, think it would be a bit too much of a jump from the bike I'm selling at the moment down to one with that spec'. You get used to the higher quality kit.

Buy the X4, sell all the parts and rebuild from the frame up? :D

Have you ridden one yet mate? You might need to decide for yourself if it's value for money.... Maybe they were just a bargain last year :wink:
  • poppit
    It doesn't look that special does it, compared with the Lapierre I'm looking at. Think you've got to be turned on by it a bit to shell out on a new bike.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • llamafarmer
    poppit wrote:
    It doesn't look that special does it, compared with the Lapierre I'm looking at. Think you've got to be turned on by it a bit to shell out on a new bike.

Lapierres are especially gorgeous though, it's not really fair to use them as the benchmark :lol:
  • I gotta say that whilst top spec components are nice if money is no object, on the whole I really don't see the point. Once you've got a top notch frame and for combination, and then perhaps sorted out a good wheelset, then spending loads more on XT rather than SLX or Deore does seem a real waste of money performance wise. Hundresds of pounds more for 200 grams weight savings and marginally crisper shift / brake?? Can't see the point myself. Much rather spend the extra money on really useful stuff like clothing and lights etc...
  • I don't think that its just Giant, in general all biking equipment seems to have suddenly increased in price (above inflation rate) :x
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9