I hit a car

bd12mz
bd12mz Posts: 79
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
last Thurs morn I was taking my usual route into work.
there is a hill down one part with a turning into a hotel.
as I was going down 2 cars were at the turning and the first one went with plenty of space.

I was braking out of caution because I couldn't tell if the second was going to go for it or not.
trouble was it had been raining when I left so there wasn't much chance of stopping quickly and he decided he was going to go for it.
I dunno if he just didn't see me or if he mis-judged my speed but he pulled out and I smacked into his side.

I put my head down at the last moment and turned to my left as hard as I could but made full contact.
my head hit the side quickly followed by my right shoulder.
then I was on the ground completely winded.
didn't lose consciousness and the bike was on top of me and I am trying to breath desparately.
looking around in the hope the driver could pull the bike off and help me.
but he had driven off.

lucky for me there was another car behind him that had stopped as well as a few other people about.
so a good bunch of people helped me out with calling ambulance/police.
one guy had most of his reg number.

ambulance came and they checked me over - I was able to walk into the back of it slowly.
my bike didn't look to be in bad shape as far as I could see from my prone position.
a lady from the hotel got it taken in and I need to go and fetch it sometime.

I spent the morning and early afternoon at the hospital having various xrays done.
luckily no major damage - no breaks just a smashed in shoulder with torn ligaments inside.
took the skin off my little finger on my right hand.

it's pretty painful doing just about anything - gonna have to have some physio done.

something I have learnt:

my helmet saved my life.
hi vis and lights don't get you noticed.
going downhill needs extra caution of there are turnings anywhere on the hill or after it.

getting painfl now socatch u all laters.

Comments

• sorry to hear that, hope you are OK. Sue the driver if you can - he was totally wrong IMO.

But as you probably know, that is not how you earn your red wings.
  • bd12mz
    sorry to hear that, hope you are OK. Sue the driver if you can - he was totally wrong IMO.

changed the title just in case it caused offence.
    thought the idea of blood and 2 wheels might make some people see some irony but I was wrong.

over 130 reads and 1 comment shows me a lot about what this forum is really like.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    bd12mz wrote:
    over 130 reads and 1 comment shows me a lot about what this forum is really like.

not quite sure what you're inferring???

As a bike commuter I read these posts and shudder but rarely have anything useful to add (like today :roll: ).

Hope you're back on a bike soon btw
  • bd12mz wrote:
    sorry to hear that, hope you are OK. Sue the driver if you can - he was totally wrong IMO.

thought the idea of blood and 2 wheels might make some people see some irony but I was wrong.

I think the forum has autumn accident fatigue - nothing to do with anything in your thread.

The forum isn't generally censorious at all. For example, were I to suggest, "You should've D-locked the $£%t" it will pass completely unnoticed. :)

Your post is actually quite shocking, in that a driver, with witnesses around, can still make the decision to drive off and leave you in an unknown condition. I trust that this is now the subject of a police report? If so, don't let them fob you off with not being able to find the driver because they only have a partial number plate. You have witnesses, you likely left an imprint of some sort on the car, you have the make and model of the car and the driver probably left details of some sort in the hotel. Therefore, they ARE traceable, it just requires more than zero effort.
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    bd12mz wrote:

The forum isn't generally censorious at all. For example, were I to suggest, "You should've D-locked the $£%t" it will pass completely unnoticed. :)

What !!!! :shock: :shock:
  • I didn't see the original thread title. Something to do with red wings - they are a sort of bird, and fairly inoffensive:

http://www.chrislodgeart.com/images/redwing-hss.jpg

If the motorist isn't traced, you can still claim for your injuries from the Motor Insurers Bureau:

http://www.mib.org.uk/Home/en/default.htm

The MIB exists to ensure fair compensation for the innocent victims of uninsured motorists and untraced motorists.

You can prove you had an accident (police and ambulance involvement) and you have a witness (the other driver who did stop) and you have a prima facie case becase the motorist involved chose not to stop.
  • Sorry to hear about your hit and run bd12mz. If I understand the situation correctly, the cars were pulling out of a hotel driveway? It might be worth checking if the hotel has a cctv camera pointed at the driveway.

You posted on a Saturday evening, I think most of the regulars like to post during (supposed to be) working hours during the week.
  • artaxerxes wrote:
    You posted on a Saturday evening, I think most of the regulars like to post during (supposed to be) working hours during the week.
    What are you suggesting? I challenge thee to a duel. :evil:
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    artaxerxes wrote:

Working hour's :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • bd12mz wrote:

Look at the time you posted. Everyone's in the pub :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    I should imagine the police could trace this driver and if/when they do I hope you insist on him being prosecuted to the full extent of the law.:evil:
    Hope you get well soon, use your convalescence time to make sure you get a full list of your financial losses, clothing, bike, wages, the lot. It quickly adds up.
    Where was this incident?
  • Sorry to hear about the crash. The driver would surely have been aware that you hit him/her given the impact and have left the scene - a big no-no. The hotel is very likely to have CCTV or other records that will help trace the car. You just need to have the strength to get the police to follow it up.

I hope the shoulder isn't too bad. I separated my AC joint earlier in the year (in a much less spectacular crash) and it takes a while to get better. You'll need to be patient and prepared to work at the physio. Best of luck in your recovery.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • bd12mz wrote:

established parlance pal - falling in the mud isn't how you earn your brown wings is it.....

Can we put this post down to the aftermath of the crash, theres a lot of sympathy and good advice given on this forum when it's needed or people think someone is being a bit naive in their actions but your post is comprehensive and shows you've had an awful lot of support and help from the driving community so 'all drivers are cnuts' posts aren't really going to help, you seem to have done the right thing in going to hospital etc so no need to comment on that and you've metioned the reg place so logic would suggest that you're taking it up with the cops. not a lot left but tea and sympathy.
    Posting on pub night followed by club run day probably isn't going to break all post records.

I hope you get better soon.

As a fellow car hitter, its a heck of a shock to the system (I'll whisper this bit - I agree with you about the helmet, in this kind of impact, I'm convinced they do have a positive effect) don't foget to get your frame properly checked out, it's had the same whack you've had and has probably sustained a similar level of damage
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    artaxerxes wrote:
    What are you suggesting? I challenge thee to a duel. :evil:

right behind you AT! :twisted:

I work very hard I'll have you know
  • Mikefule wrote:
    I didn't see the original thread title. Something to do with red wings - they are a sort of bird, and fairly inoffensive:

http://www.chrislodgeart.com/images/redwing-hss.jpg

That's not the only definition though. May I recommend Urbandictionary.com for anyone desperate to find out what the other is. Again, my condolences for your off. Hope you feel better soon.
  • established parlance pal - falling in the mud isn't how you earn your brown wings is it.....

:lol::lol::lol:

That was pretty much what I thought when I gathered what the thread's initial title had been (as with everyone else - I don't log on much over the weekend).
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • +1 been there done that : Hope you get better soon and hope you nail the guy. At the very least he's driven off from the scene of an accident and cannot possibly imagine he's not been involved in an accident.

Perhaps he was having a clandestine triste at the hotel and daren't stop in case he was found out and had to tell the missus.

Now that would be poetic justice!!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • bd12mz
    first off is my sincere apology for my out of order remark.
    I am not gonna try and give a crap excuse for my bad manners so I am very sorry everyone.

Mikefule wrote:
    If the motorist isn't traced, you can still claim for your injuries from the Motor Insurers Bureau:

http://www.mib.org.uk/Home/en/default.htm

The MIB exists to ensure fair compensation for the innocent victims of uninsured motorists and untraced motorists.

You can prove you had an accident (police and ambulance involvement) and you have a witness (the other driver who did stop) and you have a prima facie case because the motorist involved chose not to stop.

thaks for the link - I have saved it just in case it does turn out to be an uninsured driver.
    mt intention is to take this £%&*" for as much money as I possibly can.
    I am temping where i work so no workee = no payee.
    the only thing I will get if I am off f any length of time is the pitiful SSP at £13 quid a day (after 3 days of zilch).

the horrid ads for the no win no pay ambulance chasers is attracting my interest presently.
    Sorry to hear about the crash. The driver would surely have been aware that you hit him/her given the impact and have left the scene - a big no-no. The hotel is very likely to have CCTV or other records that will help trace the car. You just need to have the strength to get the police to follow it up.

I hope the shoulder isn't too bad. I separated my AC joint earlier in the year (in a much less spectacular crash) and it takes a while to get better. You'll need to be patient and prepared to work at the physio. Best of luck in your recovery.

we went to the hotel yesterday to take a look at the bike and the 'rat run' manages to by pass the hotel completely.
    so it's unlikely his reg plate was caught on any CCTV sadly.

we are going to go up to Southmead Hospital's physio therapy unit tomorrow to see what needs to be done.
    merkin wrote:
    I should imagine the police could trace this driver and if/when they do I hope you insist on him being prosecuted to the full extent of the law.:evil:
    Hope you get well soon, use your convalescence time to make sure you get a full list of your financial losses, clothing, bike, wages, the lot. It quickly adds up.
    Where was this incident?

fortunately no real damage to clothing apart from an air hole in my shorts.

the actual place of impact was on Filton Road.
    it's a short cut down to Frenchay Hospital where I work.
    the hotel is the Holiday Inn.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 7&t=h&z=18
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    bd12mz wrote:
    merkin wrote:
    Where was this incident?

fortunately no real damage to clothing apart from an air hole in my shorts.

Get onto the police- he/she left the scene of an injury-accident... that's a serious offence and rightly so. You may not have been seriously injured but they didn't know that...

Cheers,
    W.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do they make you write down your registration at Holiday Inns as you check in ? Most places do ?
  • bd12mz
    there's a turning off the ring road that goes into the hotel but a lot of people use that to cut out a chunk of traffic and lights.
    the turn off means they don't actually have to go into or anywhere near the hotel at all.

one of the witnesses reckoned that this driver was just using the short cut.
  • bd12mz
    I have a couple of questions.

should I now buy a new helmet?
    there's a scrape along the right side and a dent on the left (the scrape is from the car impact and the left possibly when I hit the ground).

when i was interviewed at the hospital by the fuzz I wasn't given
    1 a crime number
    2 id of officer who I spoke to
    3 which police station he was from

no paperwork what so ever
    just a 'we'll be in touch' from him as he left.

is this unusual?
    I haven't heard from anyone in the police since the crash and I don't know if the driver has been caught/interviewed etc.

should I give them a call to find out what is going on or not bother them until they have something to report?
  • bd12mz
    oh - just had a call from the centre that deals with traffic accidents and I now have a crime number.
    they have the driver but I got the impression that he came to the police.
    bit unclear at this stage.
    not sure about insurance atm but will keep you all posted on how this goes.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    sorry to hear what happened, somewhat shocked that they drove off but glad to hear the police have them now.

Keep us posted and speedy recovery. :!:
  • bd12mz wrote:
    I have a couple of questions.

should I now buy a new helmet?
    there's a scrape along the right side and a dent on the left (the scrape is from the car impact and the left possibly when I hit the ground).

yes and now you have the drivers details accessible, pass on the receipt and ask whether he'll be putting it through hs insurance or paying you directly.

likewise any other bike related replacements and repairs and get your bike & frame checked and repaired or replaced on him too.

Have you had any invoice from the hospital? I did after my accident treatment a few years back.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

Have you had any invoice from the hospital? I did after my accident treatment a few years back.

WHAT?????!!!!!!! How did that happen?????? (the invoice I mean, not the accident).
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    hope your well :!:
    sorry to hear about what happened is your bike o.k
  • It doesn't matter how serious the injuries are, you were in an accident. It is a requirement that the injured parties exchange details. As no 3rd party was injured and no 3rd party goods damaged there would have been no legal requirement to report it to the police.

That all changed when the driver left the scene though.

If I understand the situation you have a partial registration? Make? Model? Colour? The police will have a very good chance of finding the vehicle with those sort of details.

If you speak to police & they explain they cant find the vehicle because you have less than the minimum criteria they need (one missing letter or two missing numbers or one of each) give me a shout by PM and we can have a chat about how we go about explaining to them what else they can do.

When you do speak to them please dont mention that you were told stuff on this forum, its not a good idea to bring this place to their attention.

PM me if you want to speak about it in more detail, hope the pain fades & the frame is straight!
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Sorry to hear bout your accident, glad you've posted your story. Please keep us upto date with whatever happens.

Absoluteley disgusted in the fact the driver did not stop. If they did hand themselves in later wonder if this down to guilty conscience or they wanted to wait till the alchohol wore off??????
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    bd12mz wrote:
    oh - just had a call from the centre that deals with traffic accidents and I now have a crime number.
    they have the driver but I got the impression that he came to the police.
    bit unclear at this stage.
    not sure about insurance atm but will keep you all posted on how this goes.

Good news about tracing the driver, he still left the scene of an accident and the police should take action, I'd be very peeved if I were in your shoes and they let him off.

Go to a solicitor to pursue a compensation claim and let them pursue the necessary enquiries, they get paid for it!

The hospital may issue a bill for Emergency Treatment, used to be £21 many moons ago but has probably gone up. Pass this to your solicitor to add to your claim.

Get well soon.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009