High pressure into Tyres

equinefunk
equinefunk Posts: 323
edited November 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm having problems seating a Conti Gravity tyre onto my Bontrager Race Lite Tubeless wheels. My other tyres seated properly at about 70psi using washing up liquid. I'm upto 90psi & these are not seating.

So two questions....
What is the highest safe pressure to put into these tyres? It say 65psi on the tyre?
Any other way to seat tyres in tubeless wheels?
I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.

Comments

• if it says 65psi that is your answer.

just plenty of neat washing up liquid
  • topmoxy
    topmoxy Posts: 138
    could try using proper tyre soap ,this is very slippery to aid tyre fitting but then it dries and almost sticks tyre to rim.
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    if it says 65 do not go over it, the max pressure has very little to do with seating correctly and more to do with will it go bang or not, high pressure should only be used on the road, off road = little or no grip.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hmm, this has got me thinking, I converted my wheels to tubeless, with a Joe's kit and Maxxis Advantages at the weekend, but never heard the 'pop' of the bead seating like people have mentioned. Should I have heard this?

They're sealed, I put 40psi in when I first pumped them up to help seal the sidewalls, and they're still at that pressure. But is the tyre going to jump off the rim all of a sudden?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • try a luggage strap to help push the bead to the rim, however if you've got them to 90psi then they're seated!