Polaris light intefering with wireless Cateye speedo?

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
I'm sure this is happening when the light is on. But it only seems to intefere with the speed (I'm doing various speeds down to 0mph), rather than the distance.

This happening to anyone else? The light is no more than 1 cm from the speedo.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• It used to be that lights with bottle batteries used to cause interference with wireless bike computers. I used to have a hell of a time with mine. I don't recall why this should have been, but a minimum distance between the battery and the computer used to be recommended by the computer manufacturers.

I don't know what format the Polaris light is, and I can't understand it if the same old issue has come back - perhaps they haven't learnt the leason, but I'd try getting at least 10cm between the light's battery/ies and the computer.

I have no interference issues with my current setup of a Polar CS100 HRM and Cateye R3 and Twinshot lights, which have Li-ion batteries suspended in a neoprene bag along the top tube.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I had the same problem with my Polar computer and Minewt light whenever I put it into flashing mode. I never managed to solve the problem though
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • doubt it.

I also have the Polaris light mounted right next to the wireless cateye comp and although I also gets issues, I don't think it's to do with the light. I think it is the little sensor thingy that is on the fork and the other little thingamajig on the spoke. I spoke to a guy in a bike shop about it and he tells me that those things are extremely sensitive and any even slight misalignment with throw out the speedo. The spoke thing needs to be no more than 5mm from the sensor and to be aligned with the arrow on the sensor.

Mind you, when me light is on I normally can't reads the speedo, so I can't say I have noticed a specific issue with the light....
  • yep, powerful lights will cause interference with wireless kit and could stop it working. Mate of mine has the same problem, evidenced easily enough by switching light on in daylight and watching the immediate effect
  • salsajake wrote:
    yep, powerful lights will cause interference with wireless kit and could stop it working. Mate of mine has the same problem, evidenced easily enough by switching light on in daylight and watching the immediate effect
    +1

My HRM interferes with my wireless VDO sometimes - at least I don't think I hit 97kph on my weekend loop.

As does the charger for my front light... and my computer if I leave it on my desk.... and the ringmain in the wall next to the stairs I carry my bike down..... and my phone.... :?
  • Its not the powerful lights - its merely the switch for the led isn't always on, its pulsing at a frequency that produces a interference wave - which buggers the wireless device. If you can't move them far apart enough to stop the effect you are in trouble. It won't need that much distance to work again. Just play with your arrangement... so to speak.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • cjcp
    That probably means moving the computer from the stem then.

Ok. Cheers, chaps.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

Ok. Cheers, chaps.
    Inverse square relationship. Try increasing the distance between them slightly - a little distance might be enough.
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

Ok. Cheers, chaps.
    Inverse square relationship. Try increasing the distance between them slightly - a little distance might be enough.

Yep, that's what I meant (the second sentence :) ) - the speedo was previously mounted on the bars, but I moved it to the stem, so I could fit the two lights either side of the stem clamp.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."