Crank Bros 50/50X pedal servicing

scars
scars Posts: 360
edited November 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all

Ive just picked up some Crank Bros 50/50x Pedals off ebay as a bit of a project. Ive been told there is play in the axles.

From experience just a grease and a tightening of the axle sorts this but I believe the Xs are loose bearings and to be honest ive never had to deal with this type of pedal before.

Any help or suggestions would be greats

Cheers

Ian

Comments

• Best bet is to get some better pedals!
  • scars
    well ive bought them as a project and as spares as I normally run clipless,

Was just looking for advice on the workings of these, i'e piss easy take apart, pack with grease tighten to buggery and away you go........ but im guessing its probably not going to be that simple
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    scars wrote:
    well ive bought them as a project and as spares as I normally run clipless,

Was just looking for advice on the workings of these, i'e wee-wee easy take apart, pack with grease tighten to buggery and away you go........ but im guessing its probably not going to be that simple

Trust me, Ben isn't far off. They're absolute crap mate, you should have saved your money. Easiest way to service them is put them in the bin and buy something else.

They are very, very simple but...the bearings are made of cheese, they're impossible to adjust properly and the build quality is just plain wrong. If you over tighten the cones (which is very, very easy to do) they WILL strip the threads out, but if you don't tighten them properly they'll just fall in bits.

You should have asked before you bought them...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • scars
    Ah well at £6 i cant complain

Cheers
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    have fun servicing the x's. i always buy the xx's as they are basically maintainace free and work better. (i am not lazy i enjoy maintainace i just hate those pedals) :lol:
  • Having watched my acids explode, you'll find them an utter bugger to service.

They have a washer between the locknut and cone, it simply does not come off in the way it should.

Utter pain in the arse, because you cannot do the bearings sensibly so they end up all escaping.
  • oh and before you say i don't have proper tools yada yada yada, i did this in a full workshop at my lbs.
  • scars
    Sounds like I have my work cutout then :roll:

Cheers guys, Ill give it go and if I fail miserably ill just bin them
  • The issue you may have is probably that the bearings are worn, something which no matter of grease can solve so you may end up having to buy new bearings.
    Less gears, more beers.
  • buying new bearings is easy, re-assembling them is likely to be an utter gimp.
  • scars
    Are they standard size bearings? anyone know..... think I have some DMR bearings knocking about
  • they are really really really small (which BTW is great for load bearing, just look at bb axles that have a similar loading :roll: )

you'd have to ask CB/2pure (uk distributor) and then buy some.

Check the axles aren't bent whilst you're at it...
  • scars
    Yeah I used to forever crunch Isis bearings because of their size so small is good I guess (until i try to find them)

Im ever so glad these are a project and not something ill be using anytime soon