struggle to manual

gillathekilla
gillathekilla Posts: 32
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
help us out guys please :) am riding a carrera banshee xxx (17.5") and am struggling to keep the front wheel up trying to manual. am toying with the idea of a shorter stem to get my weight that little bit further back but dont want to spend money i dont really have if it wont work or if it will seriously alter the handling of the bike. a little expert input would be appreciated, thanks :)

Damn that twig!!! still stuck to the flaming great branch and must have had rear mech magnetism :(

Comments

• Hi, have you checked out the guide here..?
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    You could also read this thread which is still active:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Thank God it's not just me :oops:
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    there's been a few threads on this before do a search, there is a lot of tips out there. But the general gist of them seems to be lots and lots of practice :(

I've been trying on and off for 6 months to do them. I can usually pop the wheel through a puddle or over a fallen branch but its never with much control or finesse but it gets the job done :)
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    you push the bike away infront of you and drop your heels and wrists
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    scoop and lean back. i learnt to manual on a dh bike. i can do it sort of. i can get a mnaul on the norco about 8 meters though.
  • I was taught you should be able to do it by dropping your weight behind the saddle and through the pedals, but have found that just unweights the front wheel and you have to push it away too with your arms. Push, don't pull up.

D
    Specialized FSR XC w Rockshox Recon 351 u-turn
  • I have to agree with the above, I have had some reasonable atempts at manualling!!

I find the easiest way for me is to drop the seat a bit lean back over the rear tyre push down your heels on the pedals while pushing the bars forward and up with the heel of your hands. If that fails do the above after putting a power stroke in to get the wheel up.

Try it on a hill, and be prepared to either sit on the floor or not get the wheel up at all.. Just keep trying