best way to make a specialized enduro '08 lighter

kangaroo
kangaroo Posts: 1,199
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
As you can see from the subject I’m after a way to make my bike lighter, mainly in the wheels and front end of the bike. I’m trying to make the bike a little more agile and easier to handle, and the front end feels quite heavy (to me it does)
Obviously the first thing is tyres, and I will probably change over to medusa’s for winter (i have a pair knocking around), and I will run them tubeless. But I’m considering whether to get some new wheels and if so which ones. If I stay with my forks (e150sl) I only really have two options
1) Roval Traversée
http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBC ... 5&eid=5099
2) Get another hub the same as what i have already cause there a 25mm through axle, and have a wheel built around it

Another option is to change the fork, though I’m not to sure if I want to do this. If I do I would change it to a Fox Float, either the 36 FLOAT RC2 or a 32 FLOAT 150 FIT RLC
I’m not the most aggressive rider and I'm still building my fitness up, that’s not to say I don’t like the more challenging stuff, I’m just not there yet to ride it with confidence
what are brakes for again

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    what wheels have you currently have and how much do they/it weigh
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i have the roval wheels and they are outstanding, i bought them when still had an e150 so they made sense with the axle issues.

thing about the e150 is that its very light for a 150mm fork so swapping it out will more than likely add weight. i swapped for a lyrik which i much prefer but it is nearly a pound heavier.

if you keep the hub and build a new wheel, you wont save much or any weight as the 420sl is very light indeed, certainly too light for a bike like the enduro.:

3867429728_098297737f_b.jpg

mine weighs 30.5 lbs and i love it.
  • kangaroo
    nice bike there sheepsteeth
    are you still running eskars on it, and if you are which version
    and what is that rear shock
  • Anonymous
    i am still running esars, they are the best tyre ive ever used i reckon and am doing so in a tubeless fashion as they are the sworks 2bliss ones.

rear shock is a fox dhx 5. i think it suits the bike perfectly but mainly think it looks cool.
  • Best way to make it lighter and more agile?Sell it and buy a Stumpy! :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • fishcake
    fishcake Posts: 107
    I second the Traversee wheels I have them on my Pitch they are very light and soo strong. They totally transformed my bike I highly recommend them, they are perfect for the Pitch and Enduro SL

Fishcake
    You can never have too many bikes!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    well to start with some xx revelations would save half a pound or so, dt hubs and stans rims another pound, tubless continental tyres another half a pound. thats 2lbs lost already :D ditch the adjustable post for a kcnc and an xtr ti cassete. sorted
  • kangaroo
    i already have a xtr cassette, and at the moment im running the origanal seatpost the came with the bike, cause my i900 is in for repair

my wheels are
    DT Swiss custom for Specialized X420, 24mm w/ eyelets, 32h
    weight = 4.72lb

the Roval Traversee with the through axle
    weight = 3.49lb

my fork E150SL = 4.84lb

32 FLOAT 150 FIT RLC = 3.88lb

another question about the traversee. i have read that they can be quite flexy, what are your experiences with these
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    go Ghetto tubless
    I like bikes and stuff
  • kangaroo
    i already have dtswiss tubless kit installed
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Removing the glow sticks from your stays should remove a bit of weight Roo ;)

I'd go with the wheels option, either the Rovals listed or some Hope hubs on ZTR rims of some description. Both can be run tubeless with some tape, instead of the fat rim strip which weighs about the same as a light innertube anyway. Same for ghetto, you remove a 200g innertube, and replace it with 100g of innertube and 75g of solution. Some lighter tubes would save more.

What chainset and cassette do you have? Easy pound saved jumping from Deore sort of level to XT on both ends. Wrong end perhaps.
  • Anonymous
    my rovals dont feel flexy under my 19 odd stone.
  • kangaroo
    i have xt cranks with xt inner and middle rings, a middleburn outer ring, xtr cassette and a sram 991 chain
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    kangaroo wrote:
    i have xt cranks with xt inner and middle rings, a middleburn outer ring, xtr cassette and a sram 991 chain
    your starting to make this very tricky!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    when you say the front feels heavy, is it difficult to loft the front wheel over obstacles or does it generally just feel sluggish?

I have an 08 Enduro too and at first found it hard to "pop" off drops or to loft the wheel over water bars etc. I had the E150 serviced at TF tuned which made the fork behave much better (speeded up the rebound slightly and improved small bump sensitivity) and I also switched the 80 mm stem for a 60 mm one and the difference is amazing!
    It's so easy to "manual" over stuff, all my mates thought I had been on a skills course!

I now run much heavier wheels (Sun MTX's) front and rear but the bike feels great. As sheepsteeth said the E150 is one of the lightest 150 mm forks out there (comparing them to something as stiff such as Fox 36's or Lyriks - trust me I have ridden an 09 Enduro with the Fox 32's and there is no comparison) and the wheels are v.lightweight and aren't really up to the job as it is.

If the Enduro - with all the decent kit you have already fitted - is too heavy - do you really need a 150 mm travel bike??
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Bregante wrote:
    If the Enduro - with all the decent kit you have already fitted - is too heavy - do you really need a 150 mm travel bike??

i agree here tbh if its too heavy with some light kit on already i think you're over biked tbh
  • kangaroo
    bregnante - thats my problem in a nut shell, not being able to pop off drop-offs properly
    how much was the new stem and is just as simple as ordering one from the local spesh dealer
    mostly the bike is alright, i do like riding it. apart from the front end issue, my main problem is keeping up with others, but i put that down to fitness

and yes sometime i think that i need a lighter less travel bike
  • bregante
    Well, first thing I did was send the forks (and the shock) to TF Tuned ( www.tftunedshox.com ) who serviced them (which needs doing anyway approx every 12 mths to keep the 5 yr warranty intact).
    As part of the service, they ask you to describe any issues you've been having that you want correcting and, as I said mine was popping off drops and also, suffering excessive arm pump on lengthy descents. TF explained that the E150 is a naturally "slow" fork in that its rebound - even at its quickest is slower than others. He also put the arm pump down to a lack of small bump sensitivity.

Anyway, I sent them off (£85 I think for the Fork - same again for the shock). Took about 3 days and worth every penny. The stem was a shocking £80 - bought it from the specialized concept store in Chester - cheaper than a new bike tho. not a standar "in stock" item and I had to order it. Took about 3 weeks.

Ultimately, the Enduro SL is still one of the lighter 150mm travel "all mountain" bikes out there but it's still not goint to be as "light" as, say a decent specced Lapierre Zesty or even a 5 and you need to be honest with yourself about the kind of riding you do. Personally I'd sacrifice a few pounds in weight for the extra stability when I point it downhill any day of the week.

Whatever you decide, good luck - let us know how you get on
  • kangaroo
    thanks for that most useful. ive had my forks seviced at spesh, and they updated the innards to the 09 versions
    £80 for a stem, i might go for that if it does what you say, im guessing its the size for the small enduro. mines a medium.
    did you find you had problems getting the handlebars high enough and how did the new stem help with that
  • bregante
    kangaroo wrote:
    thanks for that most useful. ive had my forks seviced at spesh, and they updated the innards to the 09 versions
    £80 for a stem, i might go for that if it does what you say, im guessing its the size for the small enduro. mines a medium.
    did you find you had problems getting the handlebars high enough and how did the new stem help with that

I would check the spec of the medium frame to make sure that it hasn't already come with a 60mm stem anyway (mines a large). with regards to the bars, I had already swapped mine for some Easton Monkey bars because I think the Enduro ones are too narrow for this kind of bike personally. I went for a higher rise bar anyway because I like to feel sat "in" the bike, rather than "on" it, so no, I didn't have a problem with the rise on the shorter stem.
  • kangaroo
    i have the Truvativ Holzfeller at 290g high rise on mine 700mm wide and white
  • bregante
    should be okay. tbh I didn't really notice much difference in the rise between the two 'stems
  • Hydrogen in the innertubes! ;)

Forgive me, having a silly moment :)

Cheapest way for a lighter feel might be changing tyre models?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kangaroo
    your right about changing the tyres makes a difference, but sometimes its nice to have the larger volume tyres on there for the grip and ride feel if you know what i mean
    yesterday i went to change my tyres over to winter mud tyres (Medusa exception 2.1) but the back one looked so thin i ended up buy a ignitor 2.35 lust for the front (both are now tubeless), i have not ridden it yet, but it should be slightly lighter than my old tyre, i had a eskar with tube on the front (i still had my tubless rim strip in, cause it was only temporary) which would of weighed about 680g for the tyre and another 170g for the tube. the ignitor weighed 700g on the shop scales, add a bit of stans sealant and I'm probably about 50g down (big change hey).
    don't know how the ignitor rides, it looked fairly spiky and grippy. hopefully enough to cope with the winter around these parts

its a shame you cant fit normal stems to e150sl forks, Ive been wanting a shorter one for ages, does anyone know if any other companies make stems for them. and I'm guessing it would be way expensive to have a custom one made, ill have to ask them at betd

i will try and get some picys up, as well (need to clean bike and take a picy)
  • kangaroo
    tried the ignitors and medusa out today
    the ignitor on the front is very grippy, maybe even more so than a eskar. the medusa on the back though is pants unless your pedaling through mud