Hope Hoops

simonp123
simonp123 Posts: 490
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
Yet another question on wheels :roll:

Regarding Hope Hoops. I have the option of getting them checked and tightened by a reputable wheel builder, but I can get them about £30 cheaper without this. I'm not casting doubt in any way on his abilities or honesty, just wondering if in people's opinion whether it is worth the extra or are the wheels usually fine as they are?

Comments

• Roger Musson has an excellent reputation,but then again I haven`t heard too many problems with Hope`s building.

You do get the rim tape and valve fitted with that deal though,and may be worth it for peace of mind.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • i would probably ride them until they wobble, then spend the £30. :D

Mine are still true after 7 months.
  • Roger Musson has an excellent reputation,but then again I haven`t heard too many problems with Hope`s building.

You do get the rim tape and valve fitted with that deal though,and may be worth it for peace of mind.

I wasn't going to name names, but yes I hear Roger is very well thought of, which is why I am not rushing for the cheaper deal with no checking, but by the same token don't wish to spend more than I must.
    Again the rim tape, valve etc is usefull, but only if I can use them with non-tubeless tyres (like the Kenda and Maxxis I have) without adding a rubber rim strip, otherwise better to go for the cheaper deal and spend the rest on the rimtrips.
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Not sure about Kenda or Maxxis but I am running non-tubeless Bonty tyres on my Stan's Flow rims without a rim strip - it was a doddle to inflate as well.

If the difference is only £30 it's probably worth it - the tape and a couple of valves cost about £20 anyway I think.

I got mine for £220 so the difference was too much for me (on a group buy that's no longer running I'm afraid) ;)
  • grumsta wrote:
    Not sure about Kenda or Maxxis but I am running non-tubeless Bonty tyres on my Stan's Flow rims without a rim strip - it was a doddle to inflate as well.

If the difference is only £30 it's probably worth it - the tape and a couple of valves cost about £20 anyway I think.

I got mine for £220 so the difference was too much for me (on a group buy that's no longer running I'm afraid) ;)

Difference is £57 over what I can buy them from, though I have been offered the same by forgoing the check/adjustment and tubeless setup. The tape, valves and sealant would cost aound £38 to buy separately, so is good value, but not if I end up using a rim strip.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    simonp123 wrote:
    Again the rim tape, valve etc is usefull, but only if I can use them with non-tubeless tyres (like the Kenda and Maxxis I have) without adding a rubber rim strip, otherwise better to go for the cheaper deal and spend the rest on the rimtrips.

Have a look here:

http://www.justridingalong.com/content.php?pid=529

Sounds like Maxxis work well.
  • simonp123 wrote:

Have a look here:

http://www.justridingalong.com/content.php?pid=529

Sounds like Maxxis work well.

Yes they work fine witrh an insert, but not so sure with just the tape as I had a job inflating one ith the rim strip using a track pump, where the Kenda waent up easy.
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I reckon you would probably be fine. I had a bontrager non-tubeless tyre that I had to use a rim strip/CO2 inflator with on my Mavic 819s, but on the Stan's Flow rim with just yellow tape it went up right away with a track pump.