Disc brakes & Tektro RL 520 - are modulators required?

sil4
sil4 Posts: 5
edited November 2009 in Workshop
My 2005 Kona Sutra uses 105 STIs running standard cables to Avid BB5 discs.

The 2009 Kona Sutra uses Tektro RL520 levers ('cos they replaced STIs with bar-end shifters) connected to Avid BB7 discs. If you look v. closely at the pictures in the link, it looks like there's a modulator integrated into the cable - or it might just be an adjuster: either way, I can't tell and can't find any reference to them! The Salsa Fargo sports the same lever-brake set up and has these in-cable "barrels" too - you can just see them.

Any ideas?! Nothing on the Avid website suggesting modulators are required so I am a bit stumped. Query arises because I want to convert my new flat barred Kona Unit 29er to drops with RL520 and bar ends and it uses BB7s too
Pictures: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... 54#p247454

Comments

• Don't have any experience with road disc brakes but they look like adjusters to me.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Can't speak from direct knowledge, but some manufacturers do fit 'modulators' to some hybrid models to stop people pulling the brakes too hard. IME any form of inline adjuster or modulator is superfluous when you've already got adjusters on the frame or brake - it's just one more thing to go wrong and can make the brakes feel spongy. I run BB7 discs on a road bike and never felt the need for any adjusters - they're easy to set up and adjust.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..