Gear's jumping on rear wheel: what do I do next ?

Brocade
Brocade Posts: 433
edited November 2009 in Workshop
Folks,

I had posted about this a month back: I have a Shimano Deore LX groupset on a Specialized Tricross 2008 Sport and the gears are somewhat unstable in the rear wheel, occasionally jumping up and down all over the place.

Earlier advice was that I reindex the gearing, which I did. It marginally helped but the problem has not really gone away. I would say it is 30% better, so mostly still there. I hesitate to get up out of the saddle and really step on it.

What should I do ? What would people recommend I focus on next:
1. new chain ?
2. new cassette ?
3. change cables ?
4. change rear derailleur (getting ugly)
5. change the entire groupset (ouch) ?

The bike is not terribly old, it's got about 1000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance,
Tolga
BMC Pro Machine
Enigma Ego

Comments

• Ok, this is the most unlikely cause for slipping gears, but my commuter had been slipping and getting progressively worse over 2-3 weeks and i couldn't find any fault.

It culminated yesterday with it being virtually unrideable so I checked and double checked everything before I found the cause.

Chainset side chainstay split in two behind the chainset !

Bike is only 13 months old and luckily with a lifetime guarantee !
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Probably cables next.

You definitely shouldn't need a new drivetrain after 1000 miles. Chain and cassette should be fine. Rear mech should be fine unless its taken a knock.

I wonder if your rear mech hanger might be bent? It apparently takes quite a knock to the mech to bend the hanger, but even a very slight bend can mess with the indexing of the gears (I know this from experience).
    More problems but still living....
  • Brocade
    Brocade Posts: 433
    OK let me check the rear mech hanger and see what;s happening there. If that is not it, cables next I guess.

Many thanks for the advice,
    Tolga
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    It shouldn't be a cable, unless it's sticking somewhere. Adjusting the indexing would sort out any issues with stretched cables.

My vote is a chain problem. Check if you've got any damage to the chain.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Clean and grease the cables. Then re-index.
    Also check the chain for a sticking or damaged link.
  • I had a subtly bent rear hanger: it caused poor indexing in that you could get either the lower range gears ok but reluctant/auto shifting on the higher ones, or vice versa.
    the best way to check this however is with a special tool: it bolts onto the hanger and checks alignement against the wheel rim. Luckily a mate of mine has one so I got it sorted.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    +1 for cables. Be careful to check within the shifter itself - as it's the trickiest place to examine, it's often the place people don't bother to look.

Also +1 for chain though - I bought a new bike at the beginning of the year, and the chain was responsible for disengaging from the big chainring under load (despite measuring a precise 1/2" pitch). Never did work out what was wrong with it, but fitting a new chain sorted it out.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}