Thinking of trying Sram

ricktabor1
ricktabor1 Posts: 272
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am considering buying a sram x.9 rear derailleur. I've never used anything other than Shimano.

Will a Sram mech work with Shimano shifters ok or are they only compatable with SRAM. I only ask because it says on Wiggle "Compatibility: SRAM 1:1 shifters (triggers and twisters)".

If i need new shifters too, I'd probably go for an XT instead.

Also, this may be a dumb thing to say but I assume it would run fine on a shimano chain.

Any technological info. will be gratefullt recieved.

Richie
Got to get up to get down

Comments

• grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Chain fine but shifters need to be SRAM.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    SRAM rear mechs only work with SRAM numbered shifters eg X9, X7 etc

HTH
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    SRAM are 1:1 actuation - Shimano are 2:1.. In theory 1:1 is better

The front will work, but the rear will need a new shifter.

TBH you can get good deals on XT and XTR at the mo so I wouldn't change given the hassle of changing shifters
  • OK cheers for that.

Do the numbers have to match, i.e can you use SRAM X-5 Trigger shifters with SRAM X-9 rear mech?

Also does this apply to fronts as well, or can you mix Shimano front mechs with SRAM shifters and vice-versa?
  • sorry DIY I was writing that last question while you were posting yours
  • I hope this isn't going to be too much of a hard question to answer.....and I know i'm going to look like a total buffoon but....here goes:

Can anyone explain 1:1 actuation / 2:1 actuation and why 1:1 is better?
  • .blitz
    ricktabor1 wrote:
    Do the numbers have to match, i.e can you use SRAM X-5 Trigger shifters with SRAM X-9 rear mech?
    Yes they are freely interchangeable. SRAM shifters with names (e.g. Rocket, Attack) work with Shimano rear mechs.
    ricktabor1 wrote:
    Also does this apply to fronts as well, or can you mix Shimano front mechs with SRAM shifters and vice-versa?
    SRAM shifters work fine with Shimano front mechs.
  • Nice one blitz, thanks
  • to offer no useful advice but an opinion none the less....

I have Sram 9 shifters and front mech, and sram 0 rear mech and I can honestly say that the shifting is far better than i've ever had with shimano stuff. Not to say that shimano stuff isn't good, it is. My other bike is only lx stuff but works a treat.

I just like the positive clunk you get with sram stuff :-)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Personally I like the push/push for gear changes - but then I have attack with Shimano rather than X-X/SRAM
  • .blitz
    Think Shimano has the edge when everything's setup perfectly but SRAM just keeps going.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Which is lucky, because changing cables in X.0 shifters is a nightmare...

It's totally personal, you're never going to bottom it out. Ideally just go try and bike with SRAM, see if you prefer it. I don't.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    [quote="ricktabor1"Do the numbers have to match, i.e can you use SRAM X-5 Trigger shifters with SRAM X-9 rear mech?[/quote]

You can, but it doesn't make much sense, the shifters are the more important part. All the SRAM rear mechs do a good job but the X7 and X9 shifters are quite a lot better than the plasticky X5s. I don't think there's much difference between X7 and X9 shifters personally, and for that matter I didn't notice a big difference between my X5 and X9 rear mechs when attached to my X9 shifters. The X9/X9 setup does shift a little better, and seems to control the chain a little better but it's fairly trivial.
    Uncompromising extremist