Lights

hitchen92
hitchen92 Posts: 264
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm after a new set of lights, either a Hope Vision 4 or Exposure Max Daddy. What are your thoughts, or any other light for around £300.

Also I've been looking at a new bike, a commencal Meta 5.5.2 2008, immaculate condition with new Hope Tech M4 brakes (floating rotors and braided hoses) and Hope Pro 2 wheelset. £1150.

What are your thoughts?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,910
    If you're looking to spend that much on lights then Tiger lights and Lumicyclesystem 3 get some good write ups and can be had for that budget if you spec right. Not tried either but am looking at getting one or the other myself.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Read the first sticky thread on this page first before you commit your hard earned cash.

Or here http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... t=12660193
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb
    On the bike I have a 2008 Meta 5.5.2 cost new £1325.

So the upgraded parts on this bike were they made because the originals wore out, or just to improve the bike.

If the first, it's had a lot of use, if the second are they a fairly new upgrade.

Set against my bike cost it sounds a little dear, but set against the new 2010 list price now of £2400 it doesn't sound bad.
  • russ_gillespie
    russ_gillespie Posts: 165
    edited November 2009
    Get some Tiger Lights, I bought one a month ago and it's fantastic. (http://www.tigerlights.co.uk) Way better than most, excellent build quality, battery life and price!

Russ
  • robertpb
    That link does not work Russ.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    May as well save £250 and read the sticky / get a magicshine. £300 on lights, with the alternatives that are now available, is, er . . . pointless.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Get a magicshine, add the rest to the bike budget ;)
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • alfablue wrote:
    May as well save £250 and read the sticky / get a magicshine. £300 on lights, with the alternatives that are now available, is, er . . . pointless.
    +1
    Hell you could get 2 magicshines, one for your head and one on the bars and have loads left over!
    I can't honestly see why any one would buy one of these expensive lights over the magicshine!
  • Stevo_666
    robertpb wrote:
    That link does not work Russ.
    There's one full stop too many in that URL. He means this:-
    http://www.tigerlights.co.uk
    As the man said, that is the sort of money he's looking to spend. If you are going to a fair bit of nght riding and are happy spending four figure sums on a bike, £250 for some good lights that will last is not out of proportion. Beam shots look rather good IMO.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Indeed, like everything you get what you pay for. Magicshine lights look nasty, yes they might do the job, but for how long? Personally I'd rather spend good money on lights from a UK supplier that have been tested and proven (see MBUK last month), rather than spending less on cheaper imports.

Russ
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nice lights indeed, but dont write off the Magicshine til you have tried them. Plenty of us have had the P7 torches for a year now. Ridiculous value.
  • Stevo_666
    No-one's denying these torches are good value. I'm on about great performance.

It's strange that so many of us obsess about getting the best bikes and bike bits we possibly can, then become tighter than a gnat's chuff and compromise on quality when it comes to the one thing that is essential for night riding :?:
  • wouldn't say the ms looks nasty when its almost identical to a lupine tesla
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    they work - to be honest I've done the 'getting the best bike possible' thing now - and realised that so long as the bike works - I can have as much fun on my winter hack as I do on my best CF bike. The magicshine use the P7 technology thats been proved over the last year or so - so I see no reason why they wont last another year minimum.

In a couple of years time there will be another shift in technology so I cant see the point in spending big amounts on lights now. The P7 blows away any other light I've had including a dinotte that was over £100 a few years back.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    'Nasty', 'compromise on quality' - you got one then have you and can make that judgement?
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    anyone considered this http://www.nightlightning.co.nz/adventure_lighting_products.htm tho they have been on my future shopping list for over a year.
    i bought a few torches from dealextreme, great for cruising about in the dark for an hour or 2 but nothing more, imo.
  • supersonic wrote:
    'Nasty', 'compromise on quality' - you got one then have you and can make that judgement?

To be fair I can make a judgement either way. I can see and I can read and based on those things I come to the conclusion of nasty :) Just my opinion.

Russ
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Whatever you do don't order cheap lights, direct from china which will be 1/4 or less of the price than the UK. I agree that you should spend 300 quid on lights in the UK which will last, because LED technology is slow to change, they'll still outperform others in years to come.

Personally I'd go with Halogens over LEDs any day. After all its watts at the bulb that is important, not Lumen. Also worth making sure you buy a bike specific light set, because having a handy torch that you can use for other things is pointless. And go with lights that use a conventional 12v cell as these are much sturdier than lithium ion units.

Or you could read the what lights thread and get 2K lumen for under 100 quid, have no single point of failure, can be replaced easily if you brake them and will annoy the crap out of anyone who spent 300 quid on a <1K lumen light, that uses the previous generation of LEDs ;)
  • Stevo_666
    supersonic wrote:

There's enough info on the net for me to make my decision on this and I'm not going to buy something I'm not convinced that I want just so I can check I was right. I don't deny we're into the law of diminishing returns when spending that sort of cash, but it's a judgement call on what I want.
  • diy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I don't deny we're into the law of diminishing returns when spending that sort of cash, but it's a judgement call on what I want.

Can't argue with that - I felt that way about Mercedes Benz until my SL went rusty after 6 years and MB told me it wasn't covered by their lifetime paint warranty, even though its done less than 60K and has never been repaired and has a full MBSH. I guess the paint hasn't go rusty just the metal.
  • diy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I don't deny we're into the law of diminishing returns when spending that sort of cash, but it's a judgement call on what I want.

Can't argue with that - I felt that way about Mercedes Benz until my SL went rusty after 6 years and MB told me it wasn't covered by their lifetime paint warranty, even though its done less than 60K and has never been repaired and has a full MBSH. I guess the paint hasn't go rusty just the metal.

Sound like you should take better care of your car :)
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Apologies for the quick thread hijack but....

How would these lights from Airbike (sold by On-One) compare to the Magicshine?

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/i ... SLHPB.html (helmet torch)

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/i ... 7ELBK.html (bike lamp)

I know they're a bit more than the DX MS but not riduculously so, but would they be worth buying for the peace of mind of dealing with a UK company? Or are there no issues with returning duff products back to DX?
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • http://www.vimeo.com/7610189

Airbike v Magicshine

They seem like a fair match and given the fact the Airbike is from a UK company with easier returns/warranty claims the SL1 seems a fair price at £100.

Despite the torrential rain my X2000 head torch and Aurora P7 (1 yrs use) bar torch are performing perfectly for less than £50 the pair.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • Tr|X
    Tr|X Posts: 3
    imo, trout's lumen liberator beats every other light atm, 2100 lumens with 6xXPG R5 leds
  • diy
    yep its top value when you consider it against say a hope vision 4 for similar money
    Not much you can do about inside out rust - to me its a manufacturing defect - you only have to google merc and rust and you will see I'm not alone.
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    How can you say there isn't enough information about the magicchines to make a decision. There are tens of thousands of users already, most very very happy with the product. I had one from Naomi at DX before it went up for normal sale in May, and it performed brillinatly from the start, it clocked up over 200 hours of problem free night riding before i passed it on. I had a hope 18 months ago and it went back twice within the first 2 months. From my experience i would't hesistate in recommending the magicshine. There are posts about exposure switches going faulty too.

I have a friend who damaged their magicshine, she sent it to Troutie and he fixed it for her super quick at a reasonable price. Imagine the cost from hope if you damage your light!

I now have a geomangear one (5 mode) and use it for night time trail building with the head stap, absolutely brilliant for this.

DIY tell me more about this halogen technology, is it new. ..LOL
  • mac_man
    diy wrote:
    Not much you can do about inside out rust - to me its a manufacturing defect - you only have to google merc and rust and you will see I'm not alone.

Very true... Mercedes had a shocking rep for quality and reliability in the late nineties early noughties. A Mate of mine had a long wheelbase S class. He'd always had a Lexus prior to the Merc. He reckoned the merc was the most unreliable car he'd ever owned.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

• diy
    and my point in relation to this thread re the MB ref is:

brand and high price does not always mean high quality
    china and cheap does not always mean low quality

that said - I wouldn't be seen dead in a Toyota lexus ;)
  • mac_man
    diy wrote:
    and my point in relation to this thread re the MB ref is:

brand and high price does not always mean high quality
    china and cheap does not always mean low quality

that said - I wouldn't be seen dead in a Toyota lexus ;)

Nope... you'd be stuck on the hard shoulder in a Merc :wink::wink:

Know what you mean though... as currently my mate has the convertible :roll:

Possibly the most hideous looking car in the world.