using a cycleops powermeter with several bikes

Lowlander
Lowlander Posts: 14
edited November 2009 in Workshop
Hi

I want to start training with power and think a cycleops system would suit me.

However, I want to use it with 2 different bikes - since i commute daily on a bike with a campag veloce set up (2 hrs riding per day and the bulk of my training) and have a bike with SRAM Red for best. So seeing as the principle of Cycleops is either a Shimano or Campag freehub, how could I make this work?

My thought is to get a Shimano one, which will work fine for SRAM and run an old Ultegra cassette I have on it with the Campag bike.

Would this work with Veloce? Would I need to change chain and front chain rings too - not sure what sort of compatibility issues there are.

Would the power readings across both bikes be comparable - seeing as this is my priority but I'm not going to get 2 powermeters or a whole new groupset to do it.

Any experience or input welcome!

Cheers

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Provided that your Campag will run with the Ultegra cassette, there'll be no problems.
    The Power Tap will give an accurate reading regardless of the groupset!...
    I have SRAM & Shimano, one Power Tap works with them both... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    Eeek- drive train miscegeny! Exits screaming stage left.......

Seriously, tho' you could of course swap the freehub over each time but that's verging on the silly- if these are both 9 speed then it may not be too horrible, most of the gears MAY work "OK". Basically, you must keep a house with one make of drivetrain if you possibly can, for this very reason!
    Good luck either way you choose to play it!
    Scherrit.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Which ever way you go the gear indexing will be wrong on the 'other' bike so you may or may not have usable gears. There are no other problem re measuring etc. Also no problem with chainrings.
  • Crikey - i realise I'd be committing cycling sacrilege but on a practical level is there no way out of this!?

Everything is 10 speed and am looking for the simplest solution without compromising on quality of running or shifting (where possible).

I thought SRAM was directly compatible with Shimano and from reading some entries here, it seemed as though a Campag set-up could be made to talk to Shimano cassettes?

Or, is there such a thing as a "universal cassette" that would work on a shimano configuration and allow me to switch between SRAM and Campag?

Help!
  • Lowlander wrote:
    Crikey - i realise I'd be committing cycling sacrilege but on a practical level is there no way out of this!?

Everything is 10 speed and am looking for the simplest solution without compromising on quality of running or shifting (where possible).

I thought SRAM was directly compatible with Shimano and from reading some entries here, it seemed as though a Campag set-up could be made to talk to Shimano cassettes?

Or, is there such a thing as a "universal cassette" that would work on a shimano configuration and allow me to switch between SRAM and Campag?

Help!

Sounds simple, but might be more difficult than I think. The way I see it you could get a Marchisio cassette with the Shimano compatable carrier but replace the spacers with the Campagnolo ones.

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/3976/Marchisio-Aviotek-Complete-Cassette.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid3976
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    An otherwise 10spd Campagnolo drivetrain will index fine on a 10spd shimano cassette. I have Campag on my bikes, but I have a shimano wheel I use on the turbo, and it's fine.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • American Classic make a 10 speed conversion cassette.

It is splined to fit a Shimano hub and spaced for CAmpy 10 speed.

They work beautifully.

I have many of them.

Not sure about how easy they are to get in the Uk, but you can buy them here _>

www.excelsports.com

Under Road Components.

I buy mine from here as well.
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    +1 for the Am classic cassette, should have thought of that me self!
    S.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • Thanks all for your experience and suggestions.

What I take from this is that there's a distinct possibility that just running a shimano cassette will do the trick and this will be my first port of call.

But if not, then converting cassettes are available which sit on a Shimano hub but work with a Campag set-up. I checked out the American Classics one, which looks great - and then poked around a bit and found that Cycleops themselves (obviously foreseeing the need) make such a thing too, available at the far reaches of the internet (but pricey at 100 quid). If anyone has any experience, love to hear what they think.

In any case, it seems that Shimano and Campag are not such different beasts as is often made out...

thx again. it seems my pathway to Power has reopened....

:o