Just picked up my 1st road bike in 25 years

phil.a.b
phil.a.b Posts: 12
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
Hi
I have just picked up my new bike, a Trek 1.2 . I have done a bit of mountain biking over the last couple of years,as an alternative to road riding as my wife has always been reluctant for me to get a road bike, since my brother in law was killed on a road bike 15 years age.but she finally gave in and allowed me to get one,
I went out yesterday from my 1st ride which i rearly enjoyed as it makes a masive difference from riding my EX8 on the road, The EX8 is great off road but slow on it.
I am a bit lost as to the best way to train, in regards to what sort of cadence I should be trying to keep to, and also where my heartrate should be a on an average. yesterday I covered:

22.5 miles
Average speed 12.8mph
Average Heartrate 129bpm
Average Cadence 70rpm
Total Ascent 1330ft
The wind was quite strong at times

I would appreciate any advice in regards to training, as road riding is new and hopefully by spring I will be fit enougth to commute to work which is 18miles each way.
Regards

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellp160/s ... 854364934/[/img][/url]

Comments

• What do you hope to achieve by "training"?

How many times per week can you train?
    Bald is Beautiful
  • I am hoping to be able to ride to work daily without feeling knackered after 2-3days, I would love to be able to ride it in an hour, or very close to it as I start work at 7.00am.
    The quickest I have done it in on my MTB was 1hr 20 mins, but can only ride that distance for 2 days before feeling knackered and needing a rest. I can train for 2 days during the week, I also do a spin class once a week, and able to get out at weekends, but I don’t know what sort of heart rate or cadence I should be trying to keep to increase my endurance to achieve my goal.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Personally I think it's too soon to be thinking in terms of cadence & HR. Others may disagree.

I would suggest just riding the bike as much as possible at the moment, and think about specific training in the Spring. If you want the feeling of training without the science until then, just find tough hills and ride them! A lot of riders use Winter to build up base fitness & distance levels before working on speed in the Spring.

In the Spring, some Interval Training will bring your average speed up quite quickly.
  • Personally I think it's too soon to be thinking in terms of cadence & HR. Others may disagree.

I would suggest just riding the bike as much as possible at the moment, and think about specific training in the Spring. If you want the feeling of training without the science until then, just find tough hills and ride them! A lot of riders use Winter to build up base fitness & distance levels before working on speed in the Spring.

In the Spring, some Interval Training will bring your average speed up quite quickly.

You're right, I do disagree. The OP will have some condition from riding his mountain bike, and riding without a plan will have indeterminate results. There is no time like the present to start on base endurance training.

To the OP:- There are plenty of references on the web about heart rate zones. For the first phase find your level 2 (endurance) zone and try to get three rides a week in. This willgive you time to recover. Make two of these commutes. By the description of your activities, I'd be worried about your ability to recover. Progress to three commutes and a weekend ride when you've noticed a step improvement in the distance you can cover in the same time as your first rides within level 2.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Thanks for the reply, I have done a fair bit of MTb'ing over the years but I feel that over the last year my fitness has not improved that much, so this is another reason to start road riding, I am not sure what level 2 is but my HRT rate at rest is around 65bpm but as soon as I start pedaling it goes to just over 100, my max is 185bpm as at 42 I don't think is to bad.
    Working on this, with an average heart rate of 129bpm on my 1st ride,would you say that I am in zone 2 or not?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I agree with bobtb, at the moment looking at your stats, forget about "zones" forget about cadence, just ride more frequently for now, increase you milage by 10% a week on weekend rides until you can do 60 miles comfortable.
    Your speed will increase for sure and you will find your cadence will also increse in time probably to around 80 to 90 but not worth worrying about it.
    Ince you get to that level then maybe ;look at certain types of training but don't get hung up on it just enjoy riding your new bike for next few weeks.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Sirius631 wrote:
    Personally I think it's too soon to be thinking in terms of cadence & HR. Others may disagree.

You're right, I do disagree. The OP will have some condition from riding his mountain bike, and riding without a plan will have indeterminate results. There is no time like the present to start on base endurance training.

To the OP:- There are plenty of references on the web about heart rate zones. For the first phase find your level 2 (endurance) zone and try to get three rides a week in. This willgive you time to recover. Make two of these commutes. By the description of your activities, I'd be worried about your ability to recover. Progress to three commutes and a weekend ride when you've noticed a step improvement in the distance you can cover in the same time as your first rides within level 2.

IMHO looking at the stats the OP does not have that much conditioning to look at doing specific training as such. hr of 129 for average of 12mph is not that high a standard really.
    As he rides more and also increses the distance of rides, he will get fitter and faster and probably his hr will get lower as a result so if he was doing hr zone training what would he use? A defferent zone every 2 weeks as HR lowers?
    fwiw I never train using any zones at all and it is very easy to get obsessed with all the gizmos and gadgets.
    I did try power meter for a while and did not get along with it.
    I also have a garmin which I used for a couple of weeks as I guide but I know when I am doing a recovery ride and know what it feels like, I also know when I am pushing hard but dont really care what "zone" I am in other than training zone.
    For me, personally I find it more enjoyable training by feel and how I feel makes it more enjoyable and easier to maintain training without getting bored which is also important.
    But for a relative beginner, forget zones just ride :D