Dropouts For Fixed

Rod11
Rod11 Posts: 293
edited November 2009 in Workshop
I know for a fixed you're meant to use horizontal or track drop outs so you can get the chain tension, but my question is, surely vertical dropouts should be ok, provided they give you the chain tension you require?

Comments

• if you have found a gear ratio that works with enough tension then yes it will be fine, it is known as the magic gear, and it is a gear ratio that keeps the chain tight in one position, it is easier to find with half link chains or failing that try a white industries eno eccentric hub, or sheldons website for more fixie set up info, best of luck
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Chains stretch.

What is spot on today would be too slack in a short time, you need some way of adjusting the tension.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Chains stretch.

What is spot on today would be too slack in a short time, you need some way of adjusting the tension.

Exactly.

Moreover chains wear unevenly and chainsets aren't necessarily exactly concentric so tension is a compromise anyway. You need to adjust it at the tightest point. Some form of adjustment is essential so either proper trackends or (say) Campag long road ends.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want to use a vertical drop-out, then a White Bros ENO Eccentric hub is the best solution. Well-engineered and should last for years.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..