Continental speedking supersonic advice for marathon use

ACDCwmb
ACDCwmb Posts: 225
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, looking for a light weight, fast rolling 2.1 tyre for marathon xc use on a light weight full suss, to be run with tubes. Will be used for race only from around April through to September so hopefully no real winter conditions to contend with but I'm pretty sure there will be "moist" races and events.

Anyone have any experience with these tyres, I have read that continental recommends they are inflated to 50 psi, just wondered what the ride would be like at those pressures or lower, any good bad points, what sort of conditions suit them best, how do they feel on tarmac etc.

Also considering Schwalbe racing ralph’s, although slightly heavier than the 400g speed kings.

Thanks all
[url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]

Comments

• I run mine at a max of 35psi with no prob's, barring the odd thorns.

Where did you hear about 50psi? IMO it seems too high for off-road?
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • ACDCwmb
    I think Continental recommend 50psi due to the thin side walls on the tyres.
    [url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]
  • Theres a max of 60 or 65psi (IIRC) printed on the sidewall. I've seen no reference to a minimum inflation figure anywhere and I've run mine down to sub 30psi with no prob's.

Unless you're particularly heavy (I'm 11 stone) I'd use them like regular XC tires.

If you want something similar to a regular 2.1 I'd look at a 2.3 though, its only an extra 30g.

edit- I'd check to see where you thought you may have seen reference to that 50psi figure?..
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited November 2009
    I would agree about the sidewalls.

I usually run around 30PSI in my standard trail tyres(I'm 90KG and usually run single ply Minion/Highroller) but I've found that I do have to up the pressure 5 - 10 PSI when running SpeedKing Supersonics. The sidewalls are quite thin and don't offer the support of standard tyres.

I bought mine for the Merida Ruthin last year. I ran conti MTB light tubes and as a precaution added some sludge sealent. They are very fast rolling and the black chili compound gives suprisigly good grip in the wet, although they do tend to wear quickly.

I wouldn't recommend them for general purpose use. I Keep mine for special occasions like this years IOM end 2 end and maybe the odd marathon.

The problem you have on long events is that the weather can start out nice and turn bad so you need a good, fast rolling lightweight tyre that will cope with most conditions. There are faster rolling options available from the Conti range. The Conti Race King looks like a faster rolling option but looks like it would choke up in mud.

I reckon they've got it about right with the Speed Kings

P.S Ribble cycles had a deal on them last time I looked I paid some thing like 47.00 for a pair of 2.3s. F.Y.I. The 2.3s actually weigh 430 grams and not 450 grams, I'm not the first person to have noticed this.
  • ACDCwmb
    From the continental site

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20speedking.shtml

What Mountain Bike - Winter tyre test 2007

"Fast clearing and ridiculously low weight mean instant accelearation on firmer bits too, and it runs well all summer. The new Black Chili compound is really impressive in mixed conditions without feeling slow onm the firm stuff or ripping apart quickly.

Unfortunately it only comes on the featherweight 'Supersonic' carcass version, which needs more TLC than most tyres and plenty of pressure to keep it stable. "
  • Igonarance is bliss, although I'm only a little under 70kg (11 stone) and not 90kg (14stone)

They work for me and I love them, I'd personaly feel I was loosing out on traction at 50psi.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I've got some, they do come up a bit thin as said above, not had a chance to use them yet but they look like they should do the business in the mud
  • ACDCwmb
    Igonarance is bliss, although I'm only a little under 70kg (11 stone) and not 90kg (14stone)

They work for me and I love them, I'd personaly feel I was loosing out on traction at 50psi.

Well said :wink:
  • :) There are quite a few threads on these tyres on the Weight Weenie website.

Personally I wouldn't get too hung up on the 50psi thing, the lawyers have a lot to answer for.
  • Just took a pair of Speedking 2.3s off my bike. Not a good winter tyre in my experience (or at least not where I ride). After three rear punctures in a week I'm putting some old Bontragers back on that ran a year without a single hitch. Speedkings are fast, but unless you generally race on carpet I think you may have issues. Or just stay away from the hawthorns... :shock:
  • Conti Race Kings 2.2, used them all summer and even at a very wet 20 mile event last weekend, ultra fast, reliable, huge grip and will throw mud out the back (although on wet Yorkshire cobbles you'll experience spin), never punctured, cheap at £15 for the basic rubber. I will only run Conti Verticals as an alternative when the mud and water gets really deep.

Speed Kings are poor imo, wobbly when leaned over, slow on the straights.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • Ive got speedking supersonics (2.1) and the rear is now nearly bald!! I run them at 45-50 psi and have not had many problems except with thorns! These are my normal day to day tyres! Is it worth changing them for a different tyre or should I just replace the rear?
    I find they roll really fast, and to replace them I would not like to lose much, if any, speed!!
    Advice sought!! Ta!