Final Decision!!

sludd
sludd Posts: 29
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
OK - so I've got my decision down to these two bikes:

1.Ribble Gran Fondo with Veloce groupset

2. Bianchi Alu-Carbon (2009) with 105/Ultegra ,seem here

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bia ... e-ec016951

I know I need to wait a while for the Ribble and don't mind that and I can get £50 off the Bianchi via a cashback site, making them the same price.

What one should I buy and why?

Comments

• do you know the latest update from ribble is small and medium frames wont be dispatched till feb large or bigger are now in and build time is upto 3 weeks

mines on the way to me as i type
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • I cannot comment on the Bianchi but my wife took delivery of a Ribble Gran Fondo in October, one of the first to be sent out and we both love it. It is a great bike, stiff, light enough and responsive. It also looks beautiful as the seat stays and chainstay appear sculpted. She had the Athena groupset and Fulcrum 7 wheels fitted. I have a spec Roubaix s works sl also a great bike but I love the Ribble so much I have just ordered an Athena version for myself. The fact that Ribble cannot supply my size until February says it all in terms of how popular and what great value these bikes are. Incidentally Ribble have been incredibly helpful and have communicated very well with us.
    Hope this helps a bit.
  • DerekRFlory
    DerekRFlory Posts: 6
    edited November 2009
    Acidstrato, you will love the Gran Fondo. I will take some pics and see if I have the technology to upload them.
  • sludd
    Looking like the Ribble so far - I'm not fussed about the delay until Feb', winter an all that...

Anyone fancy the Bianchi as the better option, or is it Ribble all the way?

Some pic's of the Gran Fondo in real life would be great if you can manage to upload
  • cheers derek :D soon as i get mine it'll be robbed of certain parts and immediatly retired for the winter i went for ultegra 6700 build.

i'd love a bianchi but considering spec for price i went for ribble. frames look quite similar to me though
  • I have the pics but will need to work out how to upload as everything I have tried so far seems to fail.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    I have the pics but will need to work out how to upload as everything I have tried so far seems to fail.

[feeling of deja vu]http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12662668[/feeling of deja vu] :lol:
    Cycling weakly
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    sludd wrote:
    OK - so I've got my decision down to these two bikes:

1.Ribble Gran Fondo with Veloce groupset

2. Bianchi Alu-Carbon (2009) with 105/Ultegra ,seem here

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bia ... e-ec016951

I know I need to wait a while for the Ribble and don't mind that and I can get £50 off the Bianchi via a cashback site, making them the same price.

What one should I buy and why?

Why spec Campy (proto :wink: ), on the Ribble and Shimano on the Bianchi?
    Personally, I'd go Shimano on the Gran Fondo... 6700, like Acidstrato, is very nice...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • sludd
    Basically it's because the Bianchi is available only with the shimano groupset at that price (it's a 2009 model reduced by £175). I have no real preference for shimano or campagnolo as thisd will be my first road bike so I'm pretty sure I'l get used to the shifting style of whatever I get.

I did read yesterday's long term review of the 6700 ultegra (on Bikeradar home page) and it was less than glowing in some respects, so I'm reluctant to pay a premium if it's no better than 2009 Ultegra.
  • Took delivery of my Gran Fondo last week. It really is as impresive as has been suggested and such good value for money........even better as it was purchased through the Cycle to Work scheme.

£ 850 for a carbon frame fitted with Ultegra, perfect 2 wheeled recession transport !
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Ribble! More for your money...

Matthew
  • "special edition" spec

Image028.jpg

:D

took it round the block a couple times, very chuffed
  • Ribble! More for your money...

Matthew

As long as it doesn't go faulty. Bad service can end up costing you alot more as well as time so NO.
  • hairyleg
    hairyleg Posts: 134
    Hi all,
    I've just received my Gran Fondo what a great looking bike with full carbon centuar 10 ut.Had first class service from ribble all my emails answered asap.Bike took just over 5 weeks from order date.Just need to test ride it when the rains stops will give a update whats its like against my Cannondale caad 6 with bb30 si crank.
    This is not a race!!!!But I'm winning
    Canyon cf
    Cannondale caadx 9
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    hairyleg wrote:
    Hi all,
    I've just received my Gran Fondo what a great looking bike with full carbon centuar 10 ut.Had first class service from ribble all my emails answered asap.Bike took just over 5 weeks from order date.Just need to test ride it when the rains stops will give a update whats its like against my Cannondale caad 6 with bb30 si crank.

What's your verdict Hairyleg?

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009