Photography

Shorty12
Shorty12 Posts: 478
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
Ok i want to start taking some decent picture and i was wondering what's the best camera to start out on.

Cheers

Comments

• Budget?
    Ridley Orion
  • Shorty12
    Havent thought about a budget around 100-200 i guess

Edit: Not big expenses
  • This is a great buy on Amazon, Fuji make some really good cameras, this takes excellent photographs (10MP), it has a really good zoom for the money (12X), and is well featured. I purchased this one myself earlier this year and it does everything I want a camera to, I would describe it as a bridging camera between SLR and digital. It takes wonderful outdoor shots and has a super macro for close shots. Check out the reviews at the bottom of the page from people who have purchased. I doubt you'd find better at this price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePi ... =8-1-spell
    Ridley Orion
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Unless you're looking at getting a DSLR, at that budget everything is much of a muchness. My mum's just got a cracking little 10Mp compact digital from Aldi for a touch under a ton, and for that money it's excellent.

If you want a DSLR, unless you're prepared to look on eBay, then you'll need to double your budget - a budget DSLR (something like a Nikon D3000 or a Sony A320) is going to be the thick end of £450.

You've got to look at the pros and cons - most modern digital compacts are very capable and will allow you to produce excellent shots with not much effort. They allow a certain amount of control and come with a lot of presets for different situations - close-up, action, portrait, landscape and so on.

But if you want to get really creative, then a DSLR is a must - they behave almost exactly like a 35mm film camera - no (or little) shutter lag, full control over shutter speeds and aperture settings, full control over flash and metering and better colour controls.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    check out http://www.dpreview.com/ go to canon or nikon. ive got a canon powershot a470 7.1mp does the job well enough. tho i do have a canon 20d so id biased towards canon.
  • Shorty12
    Any others i should be looking at?
  • dave_hill
    This is a great buy on Amazon, Fuji make some really good cameras, this takes excellent photographs.

Good shout. I used to have an S3000, it gave me years of sterling service. The only thing I'd say though is if you want to take it biking with you, you'll need a good padded bag to put it in - they aren't the sort of thing that will slip into a Camelbak or a pocket.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Shorty12
    Hmmm that is a thought, any pictures on the net with that camera?
    Is there any other cameras from other makes?

Edit: Found some they look great
  • they aren't the sort of thing that will slip into a Camelbak or a pocket.

This is true, I put mine in my rucksack which is fine, but it is no compact though. However I would add that I also have a compact Nikon which although takes good pictures, nowhere near as good as the Fuji, and not the same features either. Cameras are no different to bikes, you get what you pay for, and at £126 IMO is as good as you get. To get a DLSR you are looking at £400 - £450+, which is great if you have that sort of budget.
    Ridley Orion
  • dave_hill
    Shorty12 wrote:
    Hmmm that is a thought, any pictures on the net with that camera?
    Is there any other cameras from other makes?

Edit: Found some they look great

This was taken with my S3000 in Coed y Brenin - it's only 3.2Mp but it's not a bad result. The only problem I had with mine was the monumental amount of shutter lag - the motion blur effect here was acheived completely by accident.

uncle_fester_russ.jpg
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5593165.htm?mvt=MV1_main2b

£70 for a small easy to use 12MP Samsung, friend at work just bought one and its great even has its own rechargable battery pack so no worrying about AA's.

But it all depends on what you want to do, do you want an easy to use camera with a point and click function, or you want to take high quality pictures with lots of settings for different scenarios adjusting shutter speeds etc.

You're way too vague on what you're looking for.
  • Shorty12
    Want to take high quality pictures
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Be wary of very high MP numbers on cheaper point 'n' shoot cameras - it ca introduce more picture noise.

A lot of quality pictures are down to the user, and flexibilty of settings - DSLRs have a raft of choices but you need t olearn out to use them.
  • Shorty12
    Would this one be the best one at that price? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePi ... =8-1-spell
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i have a Minolta Z1, its a pretty old cammera (02 i think) and so it only has 3.2 MP but as im sure you know, mp's only make the difference if you plan on blowing it up huge, it will happily print a photo at A4 before starting to pixelate. it has a 10x optical zoom, and is a compact (like an DSLR but with one lens, that you cant change) it has full manual modes, and a really good lens, it won numerouse awards. it takes a reaslly good picture, but is pretty tough, and lite. they were £400+ when new, but as its an old camera you can get one for £30- on eBay, £80-90 will get you a real nice one, maybe with the wide angle converter included.
    it comes thourally recomended from me! tis a great cammera, it also has some pretty awsome modes like super macro for gatting great shots of stuff like flowers.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • supersonic
    Do you just want to point and shoot, or would you get a stand?
  • Shorty12
    I want one that i can take on rides to get high quality images i would take time over each picture and not point and shoot
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I know a few photographers and they swear by Canon, for the low to mid range cameras.

I've got a Canon IXUS 860, it is realy is first class. Leave it in Auto and it is a point and shoot. Have a play about and it has lots of control over the shots. It is not full manual though as in DSLR.

Entry level DSLR Nikon D40nis hard to beat, not as easy to use as the Ixos, but the speed of the thing and shot quality (esp for a novice) is phenominal!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Shorty12 wrote:
    I want one that i can take on rides to get high quality images i would take time over each picture and not point and shoot

This is becoming a big budget, next we'll be talking Photoshop.

If you want a decent camera that you can carry on rides get something around 8mp, more than this and you you are paying for a lot of marketing hype, with no improvement in quality.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Shorty12
    Ah ok ill have a think about it

Cheers Guys
  • Cannon every time for me. But its a personnel choice.
    Take your time and choose carefully there are a lot of good camera review sites out there that will also have demo photos for each camera.
    As someone has already said don't be taken in by more pixels=better quality. its just a bigger picture. Its the lens that counts.
  • Its the lens that counts.

This is true, however pixels also count when you want to print. Optical zoom also counts.

Even if two cameras have the same number of pixels, it does not necessarily mean that the size of their pixels are also equal. The main distinguishing factor between a more expensive digital SLR and a compact camera is that the former has a much greater digital sensor area. This means that if both an SLR and a compact camera have the same number of pixels, the size of each pixel in the SLR camera will be much larger.

A 2 megapixel camera cannot even make a standard 4x6 inch print at 300 PPI, while it requires 16 megapixels to make a 16x10 inch photo.

If you want a camera to take bog standard photo's which you will only ever view on a pc, then spend £100 on a compact with a decent optical zoom. If you want to print be very careful or you will be hugely disappointed and will struggle to blow up your pictures with low pixelage. If you want good zoom make sure you get around ten X optical.
    Ridley Orion
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I have access to both ends of the market.. since my wife does a bit of semi pro photography..

She uses a 450d as her backup and a 5d Canon - the 450d is excellent value and you can pick them up around the 500 quid mark with a basic lens package. The 5d is beyond my ability ;) the 450 is a 12MP.. But these are CMOS full frame(5d) /near full frame (450d) cameras..

At the budget end we have a little samsung PL50 which I got in the sumer for 79 quid (half price) for the kids to break. Its really small and can be attached to a bike handlebar using....

a 22mm copper pipe fitting and an M10 bolt - its got all the stuff you want including video

at the end of the day in the budget end there is little difference between a 100 quid camera and a 300 quid camera. as the higher end compacts are just trying to be more like a DSLR.. A 5mp DSLR attached to a budget lens will still take much better pictures than a 10MP compact with a CCD.

Personally I would either spend 100 quid or 500 quid as everything else in between is just more expensive rubbish.

if you go DSLR it has to be canon or nikon.. you just can't get the accessories for the others.. avoid cameras like the fuji as they just look like DSLR and apart from a slightly better lens just have a poor quality CCD inside

Don't be put off by the manual settings of a DSLR, most of the entry level cameras have good full auto modes and you only really need to go manual when you want to change the depth of field or create some lighting effects. Having said that you can buy ttl (though the lens) flashes like the 580EX II which goes with most canons and can run in full auto incl zoom.

if you decide to buy a semi decent camera - you also need to think about how you will carry it on rides safely? if you spend 400 quid on the body expect to spend 1000 overall by the time you have bough a decent lens, flash, bag, pod etc. If the budget is 300 quid - see what you can get used.. most semi-pros will dump there stuff every couple of years, so you might be able to pick up a 10d or 20d for a 150 quid - these are around the 5-6mp level

my second piece of advice is go to a photography forum to ask as some of the advice here suggests a lack of real knowledge ;)
  • dave_hill
    rowlers wrote:
    Entry level DSLR Nikon D40nis hard to beat, not as easy to use as the Ixos, but the speed of the thing and shot quality (esp for a novice) is phenominal!

Agreed - I've just got a D3000 which is about £80 cheaper than the D40 (Amazon are knocking them out for £369 with an 18-55mm lens). Even at that rate and 10.2Mp sensor it's got more features than I'll ever use. Probably.

Another tip for the OP is to shop around - I've found that Amazon are by far the cheapest for stuff like this, hotly followed by buying direct from the manufacturer. The likes of Currys, Comet, Argos, PC World and even Tesco Direct are charging up to 25% more than the manufacturer's RRP.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Jessops in the past have done some stunning deals particularly when they thought they were going bust.. They tend to be 1 weekend only type deals.

but the time to buy is January not December - you'll save 20-30% in Jan sales.
    dave_hill wrote:
    I've just got a D3000 which is about £80 cheaper than the D40
    The D3000 is probably more of an upgrade to the D60.. probably better for outdoors too as the D60 is really only superior connected to studio kit.

however - you will want to junk the 18-55mm lens or compliment it with a 70-300. or replace it with an 18-300 (£££) 18-55 is pretty restricted. Sigma/tamron do some good 70-300 lenses for Nikon entry levels at really good prices.
  • dave_hill
    diy wrote:
    however - you will want to junk the 18-55mm lens or compliment it with a 70-300. or replace it with an 18-300 (£££) 18-55 is pretty restricted. Sigma/tamron do some good 70-300 lenses for Nikon entry levels at really good prices.

You're not kidding! I got a brand new 55 - 200 off eBay for £100 and I'm now looking out for either a 35mm or 50mm fixed focus.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Shorty12
    Right thanks guys this has been a big help
  • Shorty12
  • supersonic
    Most people ruin their nice pics with too much photoshopping anyway ;-) ;-)
  • Shorty12