Do you buy winter wheels (rather than a bike)?

Scrumple
Scrumple Posts: 2,665
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
My new iron horse is coming tomorrow, with some shiny silver Ksyrium Elites on.

Being ignorant of good wheels, and used to durable PX model C's, will the new ones have any issues coping with winter?

Wondering if I should buy some model C's or Aksiums (or suggestions) to see me through the worst of it. I wont be riding in filth, so the coldest days are car ones!

Guess I just need advice on whether more expensive wheels are just lighter, or more fragile with it? I can just change the tyres in the spring - or the whole wheels!

(have conti 4 seasons for winter, and krylions for all year)

Comments

• Think it`s more to do with how well you keep `em clean during the Winter months, rather than how hard-wearing they are. Salty crap usually wrecks most things if left to fester in a damp environment :( `spose if you cleaned the bike thouroughly after each time you use it (and it`s a tw*t to really get at ALL the bits to clean properly) then you`ll be OK, but if it`s a "chuck it in the shed `coz it`s dark and cold" then I guess not.

I`ve tucked up my Ksyriums Elites in their bags until the Spring, refitted the original cheapo wheels and Conti Duraskins.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Scrumple
    So, they are just as hard wearing, then.

Any suggestions for a decent replacement to stick on while it is yuccky.
  • a set of handbuilts... open pro/sport on some shimano hubs with dt double butted spokes...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Those wheels you have are bombproof. As long as you clean them up regularly they will last you yonks!
  • Scrumple
    So the elites are fine for the winter?
    And my winter means anything up to snow / gritting. Once it gets that bad I drive.

Cheers!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Scrumple wrote:
    So the elites are fine for the winter?
    And my winter means anything up to snow / gritting. Once it gets that bad I drive.

Cheers!

Yep, fine, just clean up at the end of the ride if the roads have been gritted...