Garmin Edge 705

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
Simple question - Do I need a memory card for the maps?
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    No but if you want two different maps you do.
  • redddraggon
    soveda wrote:

So there's enough memory on the device itself for UK maps?

I don't find myself going out of the UK much, so I won't really need other maps that often..
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • it depends how much map you want in memory at one time.
    if you want to dump the whole of europe in there and get on with life, yes.
    otherwise, no - if you can remember to upload maps when you go on holiday / to a sportive etc. I forgot once. Now I have a card.
  • redddraggon
    Well I'll probably get a mem card down the line as they are pretty cheap, but I just thinking of immediate usability, once the 705 arrives.

And another thing, does anybody know if the new 705s (from Handtec) are shipping with the newer more robust mounts?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    soveda wrote:

I don't find myself going out of the UK much, so I won't really need other maps that often..

I have the UK map in the onboard memory no worries
  • redddraggon
    I presume I want the City Navigator software for maps too?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    soveda wrote:
    soveda wrote:

I have the UK map in the onboard memory no worries

Is that the base map or something like City Navigator?
    More problems but still living....
  • Well I'll probably get a mem card down the line as they are pretty cheap, but I just thinking of immediate usability, once the 705 arrives.

And another thing, does anybody know if the new 705s (from Handtec) are shipping with the newer more robust mounts?

I got a 705 in September this year (through amazon) and it came with the original 2 piece mounts. I believe the new mount is a one piece and generally feels a bit sturdier.

I had a spare 8gb micro sd (no need for such a big card really) so I just installed the City Navigator maps there. I was using the open source maps before which were pretty good and of course free!
    The only problem I've found with the City Navigator maps is that due to the large amount of detail on them the map is very slow at redrawing when scrolling. Although you can adjust the amount of detail it shows (I find I don't really need to know that there's a Pizza Hut down the road).
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    If it does come with the old mounts, I'd just give Garmin a call as they will probably swap them for you. Their customer service is pretty good. Anyway, it's got to be cheaper than repairing damaged head units :D
  • redddraggon
    http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Has anyone tried using the open source maps? Any success?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Has anyone tried using the open source maps? Any success?
    I have. Around home they're fine, but it was on holiday in the Alps [when I forgot to load the city navigator on, above!] and lots of roads were missing - including nearly the entire route of a tri I did and also the road we took up the col des saisies, which made the preceeding descent nerve wracking as I constantly worried I had gone too far! The main roads were all perfect. But they aren't necessarily the ones you want to take on a bike. I'm the only person I know who has had this bad luck though. Normally, the open source maps seem OK.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    If you can't afford the £3 for a 2Gb Micro SD card, you can't afford the 705!!

If you're really stuck (and I can find it) I'll send you my spare one!! PM me.
  • redddraggon
    Getting an SD card is not a problem, I probably have a 1GB version in my draw, I'm just thinking about free maps.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    You may or may not be able to find city navigator maps on the interweb. maybe? :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • redddraggon
    Well I managed to fit UK+Ireland+Northern France + Benelux on the internal storage of the garmin, still got half the storage left too
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Has anyone tried using the open source maps? Any success?

I use them on a Garmin 60CSx, which I use for hill walking and cycling. Excellent maps and free! Some say they are actually better the Garmin topo.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4