Saddle rail to top heights

gibbon365
gibbon365 Posts: 151
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all.

I have a weird body shape (long legs and short body) which means I have to ride a bike that is suited to my torso rather than leg length. This had led to me buying a 56cm trek madone with the seat height at its uppermost limit that I'm afraid could damage the frame.

Does anyone know of a saddle that has a large rail to saddle top height as this could give me some crucial more cms.

Was particulary looking at the Selle italia flite gel flow however any measurements and advice would be grreatly appreciated.

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    longer seatpost?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Are you trying to move your saddle further back?...
    If so, try a Fizik Arione.
    You could also try using a seat post with an offset clamp, which will give up to 40mm more travel.
    If you're worried about the post being at it's max, get a longer post...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Hmmm

I've often wondered how much the rail to top of saddle height varies with different models of saddle. Is there some standard convention used?

My Specialized Alias saddle has a rail (top) to saddle (top) height of approx 47mm and my Prologo style outland pro el rey saddle is 40mm

gibbon52 - do you have any more info on this?

Rick
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    hopper1 wrote:
    Are you trying to move your saddle further back?...
    If so, try a Fizik Arione.
    You could also try using a seat post with an offset clamp, which will give up to 40mm more travel.
    If you're worried about the post being at it's max, get a longer post...
    no . as he said hes trying to move it up without breaking anything.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Assuming you have 5 or 6 series Madone, do you have the longer seat mast?? The store should made sure you were getting the correct one you bought the frame

If it's a 4 series, a longer seat post should be easily doable.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    The lighter and more racy the saddle the lower the profile. Selle SMP saddles are deep as are some of the Selle Italia comfy saddles. I changed from a Toupe to a Selle SMP and had to lower my seat post by about 1.5 cm.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Rita
    Rita Posts: 186
    what type of Selle SMP did you get ?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Surprised you went for a Madone under the circs. I have long legs/short torso and I don't think the Madone would have fitted me. You really need a bike with a short frame/tall head tube like a Scott CR1. Normal geometry just doesn't work - even if you get the fore and aft right you'd need a polo tube worth of spacers to get the handlebars high enough.

Still, if you are desperate for mm, you might want to look for pedal/shoe combinations with a low stack height.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    A Fizik Aliante Kium Gamma is some 10mm deeper than the Arione, the more expensive Carbon/kium aliante is the same as the Arione.
  • Rita
    So at the minute the deepest saddles are:

Fizik Aliante Kium Gamma
    Selle SMP

Is there anymore like these?
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    I use the Arione Tri2 carbon saddle on a couple of my road bikes. Very comfortable on a road bike and deeper than the Toupe.
  • Rita
    I use the Arione Tri2 carbon saddle

Hi there, How deep would it be at the measurement below?
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    57/58mm approx I reckon.