What gears to get?

robbygraham
robbygraham Posts: 36
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi, just bought myself an Orange Patriot Frame and some Marzocchi 66 Sl1 forks to go with it, i know most of the bits that are going on it, such as my Halo freedom disc wheelset and Avid Juicy 7's from another bike, but while looking for gearing i am stuck, i am going to run a single 38tooth ring up front and an 11-34 cassette but what shifter/de-railer should i use, i like the shimano XTR but they damn expensive, or should i look at getting SRAM. Thanks Rob

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which do you like best?

the Sram shifting or the Shimano shifting?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • i have not actually used SRAM gears before, but they just seem a lot cheaper. Also any other components people could recommend would be appreciated.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Sram isnt cheaper than Shimano if you compare like to like they are roughly the same prices

X0 = XTR
    X9 = XT
    X7 = SLX
    X5 = Deore

Neither is better than the other both work very well in a wide range of conditions. My personal choice XT M751 rear derailler because I like the looks.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap