Which rims to buy.

benjboy
benjboy Posts: 258
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
I am looking at getting a new set of wheels but dont know which rim to go for.
1=Mavic open pro cd with hope pro 3 hubs or Swiss DT RR 1.1 with hope pro 3s.Any advice would be great.
Cheers.
Keep the chain tight all the way.

Comments

• GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    You've picked the very two rims I was thinking about getting a powertap hub built around. Until I spent the money for it on a new watch...
  • benjboy
    At least you can record your times now on a very expensive watch.A Norn Ireland me from there now over ere last 7 years still miss the ole place.Limavady. :cry:
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Sadly not. It was an Omega, not even a cycling watch.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I had a pair of 28h Ambrosio Excellights built onto Hope Pro3 this summer, by Paul Hewitt.

Good wheels. Came in around 1650g for the pair so not superlight but still reasonable. The Pro3 hubs are loud and mine had some issues with a tight bearing so not faultless but we managed to sort it out and overall I was pretty happy.

At that price, or a tad more, you could also consider PMP hubs, which have a good rep. DT, Chris King and Tune are all more cash though. Not sure how expensive Royce are but they also have a good rep, and look good.

I wouldn't get the CD rims though. Ceramic yes, but CD no. If I was going for standard rims I'd just get the vanilla Open pros or the Ambrosios myself. AFAIK the double-eyelet DTs are only 32h, which limits them a bit.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    I have just had a pair of Open Pro CD's built using Hope Pro 3 hubs and they are great. I am no wheelbuilding expert but the difference felt on the bike between good handbuilt's and factory wheels is night and day. The only comment I would make is that the hope pro 3 does have a noisy freewheel but I actually quite like the ticking noise although some might hate it.

The wheels I had built up were by big Al at Wheelcraft who was great in terms of service and cost as well as serving great coffee and cake. I am sure that he mentioned that the CD rims are not ceramic just hardened.
  • benjboy
    Hi Maddog what kind of money bid you pay, if ypu dont mind me asking :oops: .
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I think they were 375

spec was:

Ambrosio Excellight rims, 28h
    Hope Pro3 hubs
    DT Aerospeed spokes - stronger/thicker than aerolites
    DT prolock nipples
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • benjboy
    Cheers maddog.
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    I just had the same dilemma after buying a Powertap. I spoke to Paul Hewitt, Harry Rowland and Derek from Wheelsmith and decided on the DT 1.1. I have had Open Pro's in the past and they rattled after a few hundred miles usage and was told by at least one of the builders that they can be a bit soft. Apparently the Powertaps are more suited to deep section rims due to the slightly narrower distance between the flanges compared to normal hubs.

Mavic CXP33 may be an alternative or the DT 1.2
  • From what I've read on various forums - wheelbuilding experts don't rate Mavic rims anymore (since they concentrated on factory built full wheelsets). Ambrosio rims are the choice of the experts

www.wheelsmith.co.uk has a good selection of Ambrosio rims
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Cranks
    Cranks Posts: 129
    Another good wheelbuilder to try is www.roadacecomponents.co.uk. Speak to Stevie.