Cycle to Work scheme

robinhood
robinhood Posts: 74
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hello chaps

My employer have just started the Cycle to Work scheme, which means we get huge discounts on bikes from Wheelies.com.

Could anyone advise which hardtail in their selection is the best value for money? I'm looking at the £4-500 mark, and like the look of the Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc 2010, but i'm not too savvy about spec etc.

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?sPrice=400&ePrice=549.99&page=0&sort=Model%20ASC&catid=7&cName=Hardtail-MTB&filter1=Mens%20or%20Unisex

Cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is one of the better bikes at this price point as for once they have put a relativley good fork on it. I would also look at this:

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p28085/Mongoo ... -2010.aspx
  • Your well lucky my employer runs our scheme through halfords which have no bike i am interested in. Is it not worth looking at a Rockhopper as well?
    So Far!
  • they have put a relativley good fork on it.

Im pleased to hear you say that SS cos I have that fork lol 8)
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    See if the budget will stretch to a rockhopper. It is an altogether better bike.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    estevens wrote:
    Your well lucky my employer runs our scheme through halfords which have no bike i am interested in. Is it not worth looking at a Rockhopper as well?
    Halfords can source most makes of bikes, not just their own-brand stuff.
  • Kanya
    Kanya Posts: 90
    M.Cole wrote:
    estevens wrote:
    Your well lucky my employer runs our scheme through halfords which have no bike i am interested in. Is it not worth looking at a Rockhopper as well?

I got my bike through the Halfords C2W scheme. if it's a bike they stock, you get approx 15% allowance to "spend" on accessories in the shop. If you get them to source a bike they don't normally stock (and they can pretty much order you in anything...but make sure it's the right size...) you won't get that additional 15% of accessories.

My bike was £999 so 15% to spend on accessories was pretty decent, got a fair bit of stuff.

Just worth thinking about :)
    2009 - Boardman Pro '09 HT MTB
    2013 - Cannondale F29 1 '13
    2017 - Haibike Freed 7.5 carbon HT + full Hope parts (no..not an e-bike)
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    M.Cole wrote:
    estevens wrote:

Halfords vouchers are accepted be a few other places other then Halfords stores. They wont tell you that anywhere as they dont want to loose buisiness. Any shop can accept one, but are not aware of the admin fee they must pay, so most simply tend not to bother. A few of the better independants in London definately take them however.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Kanya wrote:
    M.Cole wrote:
    estevens wrote:

I got my bike through the Halfords C2W scheme. if it's a bike they stock, you get approx 15% allowance to "spend" on accessories in the shop. If you get them to source a bike they don't normally stock (and they can pretty much order you in anything...but make sure it's the right size...) you won't get that additional 15% of accessories.

My bike was £999 so 15% to spend on accessories was pretty decent, got a fair bit of stuff.

Just worth thinking about :)
    I ordered my Spesh FSRxc through Halfords last year and got 17.5% to spend on accessories. This of course was the previous VAT rate so I assume that this year it will be 15% worth. The accessories are likely just the way the company uses to give you the VAT they are claiming back anyway.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.