Specialized Adaptalite Lenses

chriskempton
chriskempton Posts: 1,245
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
Well I bought some Spec shades with the adaptalite lenses which are meant to darken/lighten according to light levels, but have to say I'm a bit disappointed. They seem fine in most conditions, but I'm not convinced they "adapt to light" as such. Or is it just me?

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,744
    Which frames did you get them in Chris??

See my replyless 'Helix' thread on page 2 for my 'issues'.

Yet to test them though in light conditions, but the reviews from peeps and on tinternet were excellent :?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Mine are Uraccos - there's no issues with the frame quality on mine, they're fine although I had to superglue the rubber earpiece onto one of the arms to stop it falling off...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,744
    I managed to straighten out the frames on mine overnight with the help of a hairdryer, a book, a video cassette, a pair of pliers, some playing cards, and a box of plasters.

Heated it up, and left it in a twisted state overnight, seemed fine this morning.

Will see if it maintains the straightness tonight when I get home.....

I think the Uraccos are the replacement for the Helix glasses.

The review on here rates it highly:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/eyewear/sunglasses/product/helix-adaptalite-glasses-09-34850

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I've got a pair on the Tarzo frames. Had them for about three years and had no problems. The range between light and dark is fairly limited but does the trick. They never go clear and there is always some tint but it isn't too dark for winter mornings. In fact I have the opposite issue where on a very sunny day they aren't quite dark enough. But normally just right.
  • bit late if you've bought em I guess but I've got a pair of Rudy Projects with their impact x lens which are photochromic and they are great. did a long one today with em on and it was cloudy the whole time but the 'red tint' to the lenses actually seems to brighten conditions when its murky. also used em for L'Etape which was sunny the entire day and they performed well then too.
  • +1 for Rudy Projects. Got them from my LBS cheaper than they were on-line.