edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
i have a chance to buy a saracen zen 2 for £400 in excellent condition

Size Large

Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes with 185mm rotors

Marzocchi XC600 TST2 140mm lockout suspension forks

Profiled & butted 6061 T6 hydroformed aluminium frame

Shimano Deore XT 27 speed gears with trigger shifters

Sun SOS P1, Shimano M475 & Maxxis High Roller wheelset

has it got a good spec for the money and would it be an aggressive and fast bike

and do you think i should buy it and why??

4072_951813i.jpg

Comments

• I have the trace 1 and its great, this bike is more fast XC single track style, is that what you want?
    buy it.
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • whats fast XC single track

sorry im a beginner

and wats the spec like??
  • Single track or singletrack is narrow mountain biking trail that is approximately the width of the bike. It contrasts with double track or fire road which is wide enough for four-wheeled off-road vehicles. In addition it is frequently smooth and flowing, but it may also exhibit technical rocky sections and may be criss-crossed with tree roots. Single track riding can be quite challenging from a technical standpoint.
    Cross-country cycling is defined by the terrain on which it is performed. XC courses and trails consist of a mix of rough forest paths and singletrack (also referred to as doubletrack depending on width), smooth fireroads, and even paved paths connecting other trails. Riding or racing is also only deemed cross-country if the technical complexity of the trails is easy or moderate. Trails nearly impassable even to experienced riders are more often dubbed "all-mountain", "freeride", or "downhill".
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • for the money the spec is good.....

Saracen Trace 1
  • thank you for the quotes

thats wat kind of bike i want. Are there any other similar (fast and aggressive) bikes on the market under £850??
  • loads! if you look at the first few pages of this forum there has been alot of what bike for X ammount threads.....have a look for plenty of suggestions.

Saracen Trace 1
  • Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • are the forks on the zen 2 any good?? Have you heard of them?
  • I have a 2006 Zen 2 and its a great bike. Built to last and generally versatile. Don`t really know about Marzocchi as I have Tora 302 Solo Air`s and these are spot on for the money!

Go for it, it`ll be great for general trail riding.

IGNORE THE BIKE SNOBS, RIDE THE BIKE NOT THE BADGE!
    2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
    2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    The old Zens are a great bike, Saracen seem to have lost the way a bit this year but the 2008 and 2009 Zens were great bikes. If you're after a hardcore hardtail then there aren't many better than the Zen.

From your picture it looks like its either the 2009 or 08 model. Use the search function and search for "saracen zen" and have a read of the 2008/09 Zen reviews.