Hi - advice needed.

Talentedfaller
Talentedfaller Posts: 4
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm completely new to cycling and come from a running background. My partner is a seasoned cylcist as is his cycling buddies.

I have to say, I'm quite nervous on the bike and I've not yet managed to master second guessing sudden movements of others in front which resulted in me coming off (again) this morning. I don't feel very 'supported' at the moment and I'm a bit fed up of feeling like a complete idiot. I'm seriously thinking of just going out alone until I'm more confident on the bike which may sound bizarre as some may say that you shouldn't go out alone if you're not confidednt.

Any thoughts...?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi! Welcome to the forum!

The best thing for you in my opinion is just to get out and ride as much as you can, whether with friends or on your own, you'll soon build confidence.

Hope the fall didn't hurt too much!
  • Thanks for the encouragement. I'll jump back on just as soon as my bike is fixed :lol:
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Possibly try going out for a ride with just your partner, rather than a group? Also maybe suggest you lead (in a safe area) so that your partner can keep an eye on you from behind?
    Cycling weakly
  • Hi I'm new to cycling too, and not brave enough to join my partner and his friends yet.
    I enjoy riding with my boyfriend and my confidence as improved since doing smal rides with him and commuting by myself.

The reason i don't go out with his friends is because of my pace compared to theres i wouldn't want to slow them down.

All i would suggest is find a short route you can do alone, and try to just ride with your partner for a while before going to a large group ride
    “If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.” Lewis Carrol

'Feel the fear, then do it anyway'

'tomorrow, tomorrow tomorrow never comes, today is already here'
  • Thanks guys,

I have ridden out with my partner a couple of times and it was much better - I guess I need a wee bit more practice, as you said, before joining a group.

My arm injury seem to be improving quickly so I intend to go on the turbo trainer today and hopefully, weather permitting, get back on the road at the weekend providing my partner manages to fix my derailleur before then.

I am determined to get to grips with this! :)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    If/when riding with the group, stay at the back, with a little distance until you're confident enough to mingle with the rest of the group.
    Riding on your own wont hurt, either.
    +1 for hoping your injuries heal quickly... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'd stick with riding with one or two people, or if forced to ride in a bigger group, stay towards the back. Following other riders will improve your ability to follow their lines, judging speed and braking distances until it becomes instinctive. Crashing is often the consequence of sudden changes in direction or forces on the bike, typically loosing grip - setting up your line for bends and keeping it smooth without feeling the need to grab the brakes or change direction is key to being safe and fast. If you feel compelling to brake suddenly, try to keep straight and upright before you commit to the turn - leaning will just cause you to loose grip with the inevitable consequences.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..