New bike... how to set up??

mcflyss
mcflyss Posts: 257
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Hey guys,

Just got a new Bianchi road bike and wanted to know how to set it up for me.
Does any one know of any you tube show hows?
I know i can set it up to a certain extent, but just wanted to make sure i had every set correct... seat height, handle bar heaight etc.

Any pointers pls?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Where did you buy from? If from your LBS they should set things up for you, if you bought online it's worth paying a reputable shop for a fitting session if you don't know how to set it up yourself.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • mcflyss
    I bvought it from ELmy cycles in ipswich, but they didnt offer any set up with it>
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    There are plenty of videos on you tube that are quite helpful.
  • mcflyss
    hodsgod wrote:
    There are plenty of videos on you tube that are quite helpful.

But I couldnt find any, what did you search for?
  • Slow Downcp
    mcflyss wrote:
    I bvought it from ELmy cycles in ipswich, but they didnt offer any set up with it>

That's poor service IMHO - given what you've spent they should set things up for you, or at least give you a starting point to work to. Take it back and ask them to help you set it up. Did they at least measure you for fit before you bought?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • mcflyss
    Well if by measure i stood with the bike between my legs!! But nothing else no.
  • Slow Downcp
    It's worth ringing them tomorrow if you can't sort today - most shops give a fitting session FOC if you buy from them. Don't underestimate the difference a GOOD fit can make. I paid £50 with Epic Cyles for a fit session, which they will refund if I buy a bike off them in future, and it made a big difference, despite having what I thought was a reasonable riding position for the last 20 years!!!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    edited November 2009
    mcflyss wrote:

That's poor service IMHO - given what you've spent they should set things up for you, or at least give you a starting point to work to. Take it back and ask them to help you set it up. Did they at least measure you for fit before you bought?
    Well if by measure i stood with the bike between my legs!! But nothing else no.

+1... This is very poor service.
    Take it back and ask them to set it up, or help you with the set up.
    Any Bianchi is going to come at a fair old price.... Their attitude stinks!

[Makes a note of striking Elmy Cycles off list of LBS's :shock: ]
    :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • mcflyss
    Ok, Looks like i shall try popping in when not wporking and see what they will do for me!

Thanks for your help guys
  • Hi McFlyss,

Firstly may I offer my sincere appolgies if we were not able to offer you a proper bike fit when you came to collect your new bike, i hope you are enjoying riiding it though. I'm not sure if you have called & been in to be sorted out yet but I would like to confirm for you that we do indeed offer a Free initial Bike Fit with all new bikes and would be only to pleased to do this for you. We also offer a full indepth Bike Fitting & positioning service which can be carried out in our Fit Room, details of which are all on the Website or by calling in.
    If you have any Questions or problems please feel free to send me an Email directly via our Website marked for the attention of Steve & I will personally contact you to arrange to help you out with your bike fitting and any other questions you may have.

Thankyou for your custom & again I hope you are enjoying your new bike.

Regards,

Steve Grimwood
    Owner
    Elmy Cycles
    Ipswich
    www.elmycycles.co.uk
  • Hi

If you are still looking for a vid. This one is quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guk7Q0QslOU

N
  • Kneesaway wrote:
    Hi

If you are still looking for a vid. This one is quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guk7Q0QslOU

N
    That's good that.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    mcflyss wrote:

That is very poor simple. Honestly some of these 'bike shops' really shouldn't be in business for heaven's sake ....
  • mcflyss
    Not had a look at the vid yet, i keep forgetting and i'm at work ATM so cant view any you tubes!!!

Steve from Elmy, When I bring my bike in for its tune up, i will make sure to make myself known to you and we can make sure it is set up ok. My biking friend has done a lot with me but as many others have said, i was gutted when i collected the bike and was allowed to just walk out with no set up instructions at all.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
  • mcflyss
    well finally got around to getting back to Elmy cycles and have left feeling a lot happier about the shop and company.
    I didnt get the persons name who helped me, but was in actual fact the same bloke who sold me the bike in the first instance.
    Spent at least 45 mins going through different things and explaining why he was doing them so now my bike has been set up by what I feel to be a pro!
    Have not had a chance to get out on it since, but will do in the the next day or two.

Overall it was a massive shame this wasn't done at the time i picked the bike up, but none the less it has been done now and feel very happy.

Thanks Elmy cycles, you re-deemed your selfs!