Upgrading Ultegra 6500 shifters

Stellite
Stellite Posts: 544
edited November 2009 in Workshop
Hi folks

I need to upgrade my Ultegra 6500 shiffters and would like to go the Dura ace7900 route if possible.

The Ultegra is 9 speed. Can I fit the 10 speed dura ace shifters to this, or would it be better to get a 10 speed cassette and chain while im at it.

The only other question, is will the old brake calipers be compatible with the 7900, I have read some where they pull a different amount of cable

Cheers

Comments

• if its stil sti will works so no woris and about caset and chain yes you should its beter to have same stuff i had 9sp shifters and 8 sp casette and they didnt work well so good luck
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Stellite wrote:
    The Ultegra is 9 speed. Can I fit the 10 speed dura ace shifters to this, or would it be better to get a 10 speed cassette and chain while im at it.

The only other question, is will the old brake calipers be compatible with the 7900, I have read some where they pull a different amount of cable.
    You will need to go to 10sp. You will only need a cassette and chain. All the rest will work OK.
    The cable pull is different but not by a lot. Some pro teams are mixing but usually the other way. 7900 group with old shifters. I would suggest you try it and if the brakes are not as you like then either get 7900 ones or the new Ultegra which I believe are the same pull as 7900. Not certain here though.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The cable pull is actually quite different. the importers (Madison) informed me that changing to the new Ultegra 10 speed (I've got the older one) involves purchasing brakes and front mech. as the pull ratio is different. Took the price from £250 > over £400
    M.Rushton
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    They have us over a barrel when it comes to upgrading.
    Will maybe try and source some older Dura ace levers rather than the new style.