Ragley Blue Pig - the grass is always greener?

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I ride around the Lakeland trails on my bike when I can;I tend to spent quite long days in the saddle when I do get out & think of myself as a trail rider. I've got a 2008 Meta 55.2 which is a good bike. However I really like the sound of the Ragley Blue Pig - looks like fun. I can only afford one MTB. So should I stick to FS or sell my frame to pay for a Ragley (financially there's not much in it). What do you think - pros / cons?
Cheers
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    some parts may not fit. e.g seatpost and i think the headtube is 1.5" but i'm not entirely sure
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you need a near 6lb hardtail frame? If I was gonna do it, the Mmmmmbopppp would be my choice. Depends on you though.

Tis the rider that makes the bike fun anyway ;-)
  • passout
    Yeah I thought of that - the pig should be more comfortable though (God I sound old).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Could be - but steel frames ca be bloody stiff!

Nice big soft tyres are better than springy frames in my opinion. In fact it is debatable just how much vertical give there is in a frame.
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    mmmbop would be my choice too! - had a steel frame way back when and whilst it was lovely to ride, I prefer the stiffness of alu
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    How about getting a demo of the Ragley, seems like the best way to get the right answer :wink:
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    I'm in a similar position. I have a Meta 55 Uk and decided to try a hardtail. The Ragley Moonpig semed like the most obvious choice due to the bargainprice of the frame and such good reviews written about them. Although a very entertaining ride it not a patch on the Meta to be fair. Its heavy, relativley slow acceleration mean that you wont be getting up the hills the quickest. However it carries its speed remarkably well and climbs like a demon on the technical stuff.

DSCF3745.jpg

DSCF3746.jpg

DSCF3747.jpg

DSCF3748.jpg

DSCF3749.jpg

DSCF3751.jpg

DSCF3759.jpg

DSCF3760.jpg

DSCF3767.jpg

DSCF3769.jpg
    Epic mudclearence
    DSCF3773.jpg
  • passout
    Interesting stuff Owen - food for thought....