What's wrong with Rapid Rise?

ricktabor1
ricktabor1 Posts: 272
edited November 2009 in MTB general
I was just wondering why people are so down on Rapid Rise Derailleurs.

I have a rapid rise XT on my road bike and it's been great. I also have Rapid Rise (Deore though) on my MTB which, once i tightened the clamp bolt so it stopped slipping, has been pretty good too.

One thing I have noticed is that I have to reset the Deore mech quite often. Is this why they're not popular?

Anyone got any ideas/knowledge to pass on?
Got to get up to get down

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they are neither popular or not.

when used with the correct levers they are fine, otherwise they switch the way the shifters work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I use RR derallieurs and like them, however they certainly are not popular in North America, 3 times I've had to buy a RR deralieur in Canada and 3 times it's been a special order.

Personally I think it's simply what people are used to with regard to how the shifters work. RR seems "backwards" so people think it's odd and don't take the time to get used to it. Their call, I did get used to it and now like them

Nick; what's this about styles of shifters? I use rapidfire shifters, which work the other way around with RR than with Top Normal (as one would expect) is there a style of shifter that works the same with both (this lever to shift up, that one to shift down)?
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shimano originally thought RR was going to be the next big thing, and the same with DCL. Infact there was a gap in XTR rapidfire shifters.

Then they realised that most peope didn't like RR with rapid fire, nor DCL in general, and in typical Shimano fashion 'reinvented' the traditional set up normal mechs and shifters.

They now market rapid fire as being in fact better suited to normal mechs, and RR for DCL.

But whatever floats your boats.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and Sram stole the show with the re introduction of their triggers while shimano screwed up with DCL.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    ah, yes, DCL well there was a superb idea :roll:

as for the SRAM ones I tried them and didn't like them, the shifting was the wrong way round :wink: :P
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i preferred rr when i used shimano, i also quite liked dcls but it appears i was the only one.

i definately found that even with top end shimano kit, the indexing needed adjustng more often than with sram and the initial setup, although plenty simple, was no where near as quick as with sram.

deore is plenty popular and the newest groupset is ace looking, the necessity for frequent adjustment is an inherrent shimano thing in my opinion. im running a deore fornt mech on my orange and it was the easiest front mech i have ever set up, im not sure why. but it has been on 2 bikes already and both times it was a doddle to get running silently in all combinations.

it all comes down to feel in the end, some like sram, some plonkers like shimano
  • supersonic
    I index my gears on the move (if needs doing, rarely does as I make sure my cables are fully bedded) by simply turning the shifter barrel, usually a quarter half turn does it. Limit stops never need doing.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I love my RR, if your a numpty like me and are in the wrong gear too often than not at the start of a climb, it changes much quicker into lower gears. :oops:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    I index my gears on the move (if needs doing, rarely does as I make sure my cables are fully bedded) by simply turning the shifter barrel, usually a quarter half turn does it. Limit stops never need doing.

this is what i used to do too. i find i never need to do it with sram though. infact, i dont think i have ever needed to do it with sram.
  • supersonic
    I never need to do it with the Shimano, it seems to be the SRAM! But the mech cage is not straight so needs sorting.
  • Anonymous
    VWSurfbum wrote:
    I love my RR, if your a numpty like me and are in the wrong gear too often than not at the start of a climb, it changes much quicker into lower gears. :oops:

this is the exact reason why i liked rr!!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    VWSurfbum wrote:

this is the exact reason why i liked rr!!
    glad i'm not the only one!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic
    I thought it was quicker to press the thumbshifter to change to an easier gear - rapirdfire lets you do 4 gears at once!

But yeah, I understand the principle - the spring changes and will only change on the correct pins and ramps giving a smoother shift.
  • Anonymous
    i found with shimanos vagueness that rr meant it was easier to change one gear at a time on a climb instead of accidently dropping too many with a ham fisted sweep of the thumb.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I don't mind either.

Did have a RR xt which i suppose does give smoother shifts on climbs.

Recently fitted a normal rise xtr (because it was cheap lol) and its fine, although I think the gear changes feel a little more clunky than the old mech.
  • Nice one guys. I thought I was the only one who liked RR. Love the smooth changes going uphill.

Might change my shifters though having read your messages.

Everyone seems to rate SRAM. I've never tried it - maybe too afraid to try something different - must be getting old!![/code]
    Got to get up to get down
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    My son has been using these for a couple of years, we replaced the rear mech when he was eight as he was somtimes struggling to downshift on hills - Kid's often find themselves in the wrong gear at the wrong time.

It gives a much "lighter" change, he occasionally switches bikes and can quickly make the transittion back to "normal" gears. His new bike is high normal and I think I probably won't change it.
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Love Rapid Rise. My Commie came with SRAM X9, nice gears if a bit noisy but I just couldnt reprogramme my head I was always changing to a higher ratio on a steep climb and mangling the chain.

Went back to a mix of XT rear Deore front with LX shifters set up and straight away it felt right

I just wish Shimano would make a RR shadow style mech the XT mech is getting a bit scarred
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Ran RR for years picking them up for peanuts on eBay as riders swapped them out off new bikes. Once the supply dried up I've switched to SRAM which has the bonus of NOT requiring a cable strip every other ride in the winter slop even with full length outers. The Shadow mechs address this but I'd already made the switch when they came out and prefer the solid engagement of the SRAM shifters.