Ellsworth advice

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
There's an Ellsworth Id going cheap on fleabay soon and I'm a bit tempted...
It a 6inch travel frame, but orignally came with 120mm travel forks. I'm after a 6inch travel bike like an Enduro. I basically don't like the way my prophet rides...

But the Id already has a high BB and a steep head angle - the head can be solved by a long fork that could mate with the amount of travel on the rear, but would it give a disastrous height of BB? And is the Id basically a XC frame, not an all mountain frame?

Comments

• What's the issue you have with your prophet? Is it too much of a heavyweight or not aggressive enough? Which model do you have? Is it an SL an SX, an X or is it a straight forward Prophet? They're not the stiffest of bikes but they're not exactly flexy either, and they're very light, they pedal very well although there is noticeable feedback when encountering bumps in the granny ring. I would argue that the prophet is one of the best all rounders ever. Is it the correct size? How tall are you and what size are you riding?

I think it would be worth experimenting with the setup of your Prophet before splashing out on another frame (providing it fits of course). I assume you have your rebound damping adjusted properly and that the shock and forks have been serviced recently. Have you tried fitting a different length stem?
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • bluechair84
    Two reasons; I'm actually not one of it's many fans. The frame in xc mode is competant enough, it's stiff and light yes... But in FR more the suspension hangs up killing momentum and the BB sits too low. It just doesn't perform on really rough terrain as I would like it too. The sus is set up fine as far as I'm aware, I just don't get on with it as well as the Intense 5.5 I had before.
    The other is my art teacher girlfriend and I are going to do a custom paint job inspired by the artist Jon Burgerman, and the Prophet is old-sheep ugly! I want to do it to a hansome bike.

And I'm not a collector of silly expensive frames either :roll: I know what it looks like, but I swap and change every now and again on the second hand market. I don't really spend that much on frames.

So, the question is really can the Id cope with the kind of terrain the Prophet was designed for? Or is it one of them long legged XC-specific machines?
  • bluechair84
    This is the sort of set up I'd be looking for and is primarily why I am slightly confused about the frame...

http://www.pbase.com/lsenador/louies_bikes

If you search for reviews on the Id, it was originally stocked with 120mm forks. But that was back in the day before 150mm forks were common place the the psylos were pretty much your best bet. I think the bombers of the time were only that long...

But either way, that looks a good build... and I'm tempting going for it.
  • I've not ridden that bike but my experience of ICT is that it is very good. I wouldn't advise putting a longer fork than it was designed for, it already looks like it has quite a lofty BB
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

• I'd buy an 05-06 specialized enduro, it's a classic, it looks good and it rides great. I'm no artist but i wouldn't want to spend countless hours painting a frame that's less than perfect.
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96