Horsham Cycling reliability trial - Sunday 22nd November 09

Stew0141
Stew0141 Posts: 15
Newhaven & Wiston Reliability Triall

A choice of two rides:

Newhaven (approx 66 miles) commences at 9am - time standards, 5, 4.5 and 4 hours
Wiston (approx 32 miles) commences 9.40am - time standards 3, 2.5 and 2 hours

The HQ is the Forest School Youth Wing, Comptons Lane, Horsham.

Refreshments available at the finish.

Entry fee £2.

http://www.horshamcycling.co.uk

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Thanks for posting... I did post a request sometime back for clubs to notify us of any open reliability runs from now until Spring,, as a refreshing change to awesomely overpriced so called sportives.
    Sad tho' a tad too far to make this one.
  • What exactly is a reliability trial as opposed to a sportive?
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Generally speaking, no timing chips, no marked course, you use route guides, and no wannabe racer gimps, other than that from what I've seen, nice routes, friendly clubs and fair refreshments, not for the speed hungry but at this time of year you'd be crazy to look for that.

Don't confuse it with audax though, too many people have a hang up that everything slower than race pace will be beardy, its not!

If you want a good ride and can attend I'd advise it, really need to do more myself really. :wink:

Saying that, during summer months I'm a SE England sportive rider with gold timings so no slouch, just nice to mix it up with no pretensions and a friendly atmosphere.

Also nice to spend £2 instead of £20 to ride someone elses route.
  • Hi,

any maps available before the day? Regards davy
  • zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    edited November 2009
    batch78 wrote:
    Don't confuse it with audax though, too many people have a hang up that everything slower than race pace will be beardy, its not!

I rode the last HC RT and I organise a local Audax along similar roads, they both appeal to the same market; in fact the organiser has even ridden my event. Certainly not a great number of beards (or even mudguards) in evidence.

btw Stew hope you get a good number of entries the last one was very good!, shame it clashes with the ESCA (and also caving for me so I won't be able to do either). I'll suggest to Richard the ESCA chairman that they fix the date for future years.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Yes sorry, re-reading thats not what I meant.

Audaxing and reliability trials, though slower generally, ARE NOT BEARDY!
    :wink:
  • zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    indeed; and they are only slower

because they are harder :wink:

but all the more fun for it. :D
  • With the time standards on offer, you can make it a challenging or easy ride.
    This event is a go your own route but I will arrange to post a link to some suggested routes.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Stew - is there a specific halfway point in newhaven for the longer ride, or just anywhere in the town?
  • ianhk
    ianhk Posts: 2
    There is a checkpoint cafe stop in Newhaven and most riders will usually take advantage. The actual checkpoint location will be revealed on Sunday but I've posted a few route suggestions on the club forum:

http://www.horshamcycling.co.uk/joomla15/index.php?topic=743.msg1581&jfile=index.php&option=com_jfusion&Itemid=68#msg1581
  • Hi,

Its been many years since I completed a reliability ride. How does it differ from an Audax? Are there checkpoints or is it just a check at the start and the mid point?

thanks for any information? davy
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    It's my understanding that riders are free to choose their own route to reach a pre-determined halfway point, before making their way back to the starting point.