Discounted Land Rover bikes - worth it?

flexiblegoat
flexiblegoat Posts: 3
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
I'm new around here, but thought that I might get some good advice.

I've recently taken up biking again on a casual basis - nothing too serious, and sticking to the gentler marked off-road trails (I recently rode some of the 7 Stanes green and blue routes, and found them perfectly adequate for what I wanted)

However, I'm currently riding my 14 year old Shogun bike - it was very cheap even at the time, it weighs the same as the SS Great Britain and it's showing its age in the componentry very badly. So, I'm casually looking for another cheap bike in the £200-250 range as a replacement.

I'm an employee of Land Rover, and I've been given the opportunity to buy some of the 2009 Land Rover models at 50% discount. I've always thought that the bikes were a bit overpriced for what they were, but wondered if anyone could tell me whether they'd be a good buy at the discounted rate?

I'm looking at the Tahora model (http://www.2x2worldwide.com/LR2009/Tahora.html) and have the opportunity to buy one for £200. Would this be a reasonable buy for what I wanted?

Cheers

Andy

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Land Rover bikes are made by Claud Butler using a mix and match of componenets you can't get in a CB badged bike.

They are worthy but not startling bikes, and Claud Butler themselves rarely do well in comparisons these days, being midfield (so not bad but not good).

However that spec for £200 is pretty good, the dec Rockrider 5-2 Iis usually consider a benchmark cabalbe cheap bike, the LR looks to be better specced to my (not very experienced) eyes.

Nothing wrong with Shogun's, the daughter has one!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Perfectly reasonable bike for £200.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Seems fine.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Thanks for your help guys - it's much appreciated.

Looks like I'm going to go for it.