Which Pump?

wicked2627
wicked2627 Posts: 122
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I shall be getting a new MTB next month and buying everything I need in preparation.

Its a Boardman HT Ltd Edition so has RS Reba Race forks. I was going to buy the specialized windpipe pump as this is for shocks and tyres but been reading bad reviews (too hard to pump tyres and loses lots of air when disconnecting).

My question is, is there any pumps that can do both? If not, can you recommend me a decent shock pump and tyre pump?

ideally I will need to take the tyre pump with me in my camelback - don't think i'd take my shock pump with me s can do adjustments at home.

Thanks
Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
Charge Mixer

Comments

• you should carry your shock pump with you too, in case of some kind of loss of air and a need to top it up.

Lezyne mini pumps have good reviews, you ideally want something alloy, not plastic. Shock pumps I got one from eBay it's a Beto one but it's the same as two others, it got given a 4/5 star rating on here, reviewed as a RAV X or somehting like that, but it's only £15 quid odd instead of £30.

Just search Beto shock pump, should find it. Other than that look at the reviews on here under the rides and gear section and pick one.
  • i use a rockshox pump for forks, i've got a couple because every time i buy aftermarket forks i get another pair.

For a tyre pump topeak mountain morph
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    I've never carried a shock pump with me in my life! Pointless clutter IMO. Fair enough if you're going through a setting up period and want to adjust on the fly, but once you've got it dialled in just leave it alone
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    +1 Topeak Mountain Morph - slightly larger than most mini-pumps but it gets tyres up to pressure so much quicker, the closest thing you can get to a portable track pump.
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I wouldn't bother taking the shock pump with you, other than the first few rides for setting up. If the forks really do lose all their air on the trail, it's unlikely you can do anything about it, so you'll just have to lock out and ride home.

Try to get a free shock pump off Halfords, I did when I got my Boardman.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • THanks guys,

Personally I prob won't carry a shock pump with me (apart from the first couple of outings). If the forks go 'pop', i'll be walking the bike home. I should be able to adjust the travel using the lockout when riding.

However I wouldn't mind a small cheap(ish) one so will look into the Beto. Does it have a meter on it? Also how is it on losing air when disconnecting?
    Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
    Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
    Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
    Charge Mixer
  • http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... p-ec017725 is what ive got. really small physical size, automatic adjusment for both types of valve and pumps up pretty quick
    It`s changed a bit since...
    2010 Zesty 314
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Beto's shock pump is very good, and not expensive.

For pumps, I like the Truflo Evolution Plus, it's like a tiny workshop pump:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... plus-23220

Not that much bulkier than a regular pump but miles more effective, and even has a moderately useful gauge on it (though it's a bit inaccurate and hard to read, it's better than nothing). I've never found a small pump that isn't just annoying to use.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Yeah the beto has a dial, rated up to 400 psi, much more than you would probably need. there is a seperate valve for opening up the airway, the threads are small though so lots of turning required and slow disconnection some air is lost about 5psi I've calculated, so I just pump up 5psi more before disconnecting.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If you loose all the air out of your shocks, then a shock pump is not going to help. You can get buy with the cheapo pumps from wilkinsons, but the Lezyne mini is great for both valve types. I would either cable tie it to th bike or use an extra strap as I have found quite a few decent pumps on trails.
  • Same sentiments as HJDan. With my revelations and perhaps small negative air capacity its tricky to get the right pressure with the Beto - where +/- 5 can make a big difference. I am going to experiment with a toppeak lossless valve which I spotted. realistically 400 psi for the Beto is unnecessary for the lower pressure forks as is the exhaust button.
  • Northwind
    edited November 2009
    HandjobDan wrote:
    Yeah the beto has a dial, rated up to 400 psi, much more than you would probably need. there is a seperate valve for opening up the airway, the threads are small though so lots of turning required and slow disconnection some air is lost about 5psi I've calculated, so I just pump up 5psi more before disconnecting.

Nope. When you unscrew the top screw, it disengages the valve on the shock without releasing any air- you basically have 2 connected, equal pressure bodies, the pump and the shock, and this disconnects them. The air which you hear escaping is from the pump only, not from the shock.

(the reason the shock is at lower pressure when you reconnect the pump to check, is that when you plug the shock in, the pump gets pressurised from the shock- so you're not losing pressure when you take the pump off, you lose it when you put it back on)

Not all pumps are like this, some actually do lose air but the Beto doesn't.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Northwind wrote:
    HandjobDan wrote:
    Yeah the beto has a dial, rated up to 400 psi, much more than you would probably need. there is a seperate valve for opening up the airway, the threads are small though so lots of turning required and slow disconnection some air is lost about 5psi I've calculated, so I just pump up 5psi more before disconnecting.

Nope. When you unscrew the top screw, it disengages the seal on the shock without releasing any air- you basically have 2 connected, equal pressure bodies, the pump and the shock, and this disconnects them. The air which you hear escaping is from the pump only, not from the shock.

(the reason the shock is at lower pressure when you reconnect the pump to check, is that when you plug the shock in, the pump gets pressurised from the shock- so you're not losing pressure when you take the pump off, you lose it when you put it back on)

Not all pumps are like this, some actually do lose air but the Beto doesn't.

I'd second that
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Northwind
    Nicklouse taught me that. Only with less words, and a more chiding tone :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist