Brakes that don't slow you down

gsk82
gsk82 Posts: 3,528
edited November 2009 in Workshop
I've started using my old bike the past few weeks because i don't want to get my shiny Focus Cayo too mucky. only problem is that the kits all Sora. I've got no problem with the gears but the brakes just don't seem to slow me down, decending is rather scary.

I've got 105 on my Focus and think the breaks are very good. I had the bike serviced recently and the cable were all changed as were the pads, they seem to be set up right as well so shouldn't be that. So my question is... Would changing the brakes or levers make much difference if i only did one and not the other?
"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Comments

• very little difference.

Did you mean you've had new cables and pads on the old bike?

If so i'd try cleaning the rims.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have Sora on my old bike, never had an issue with stopping.
    Did you scrub your new brake pads in?
    +1 for cleaning the rims.
    And, without trying to teach you to suck eggs... Are your brake 'quick releases' in the correct position? :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Wipe rims down with baby wipes and de-glaze pads with fine sandpaper eg P180.

Poor machining of rim surfaces can also effect braking, if you are particularly interested in a brake upgrade I can personally recommend these-

www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/i ... FORBK.html

Have them myself lighter than new Dura Ace, cartridge pads, only |£50 for the set (front and rear), oh and they are very powerful ! :shock:
    Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth
    Ritchey Breakaway Steel Cross
    Specialized Singlecross Fixed 46:16
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Replace the one-piece blocks with cartridge holders and pads - a softer compound like Salmon will help too, but they wear quicker
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bill D
    Bill D Posts: 62
    Try taking the 105s off your focus and putting them on the old bike. Any difference? If so, cheapest option would be to leave them on til you want to ride the focus again.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Replace the one-piece blocks with cartridge holders and pads - a softer compound like Salmon will help too, but they wear quicker
    I have no problem with block life with mine. On my Trek 5200 they have been on since 2006 and have done about 9000 miles, admittedly summer ones but not all dry. On my winter bike the rears lasted about 5000 miles and could have gone a bit further. The fronts are still going strong after about 7000 miles. For the performance they give I can stand this 'quick' wear. :D
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Not sure how Koolstop work, they stop you quickly but don't wear rim or pad
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace