Shimano RS20 Broken Spokes

karlmoreton
karlmoreton Posts: 98
edited November 2009 in Workshop
heard stories of rear wheel non drive side spoke breakages- now mine have done the same !
More annoying it happened 25 miles from home on my commute after a night shift :cry:

Managed straighten it enough to get home but spokes from Madison not in stock till december.

Hand builts all the way in future. I will not buy another Mavic/shimano machine built wheel again :x

Machine built wheels are a complete PITA !

Any suggestions apart from the skip ?
Focus Cayo
Planet x stealth
Ritchey Breakaway Steel Cross
Specialized Singlecross Fixed 46:16

Comments

• sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Last bike I bought came with Shimano RS10 wheels.

I took 'em straight off and replaced them with a pair of Quest Como wheels (aka Prolite Como) and they have stayed true over a thousand miles.

The hubs run silently and smoothly too.

Deep section rim probably gives you at least another 0.1mph average over a long run as well!
    I am quite happy with them as I am 85kg and they have coped well.
  • I have heard good things about comos, don't get me wrong.

Its being able to get them repaired that is so frustrating and the fact it is a design flaw causing the breakages.

I now want wheels that I can fix with bits from LBS, not have to send away to be repaired or await spares.

These wheels now cost nearly £200 with current shimano price rises, now they are scrap.
    Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    edited November 2009
    rs20s = worst damned wheels ive owned. many broken spokes, bought handbuilt pair of mavic wheels with 32 spokes, 105 hubs and open pro rims and couldnt be happier.

issue with the rs20`s is alloy nipples , my handbuilts use dt spokes which every LBS carry and stainless steel nipples. when my rs20` bust spokes, the shop had to send away for a damned spoke.............bordering on the ridiculous.
  • Where did you get your handbuilts from ?

Trouble is I have had similar problems Mavic Ksyrium elites with a sheared alloy nipple, again spokes hard to source.

Looking at handbuilts from spa cycles, 36 spoke Rigida Chrina Rims and Tiagra hubs, cheap to buy but more importantly easily sourced parts/DIY fix. Does anyone have any experience of these?

Don't want to resort to my Ksyrium SL's/Planet x Carbon 50's over winter
    Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    [

One of the cheapest Q/R narrow rim wheelsets is a pair of Rigida 36 hole rims on a Quando hub.

I bought a pair from my LBS for £59.99. I guess they are in essence a 'factory wheel' as they are mass produced elsewhere but I have ridden a pair of these for a year with only a couple of tweeks needed. (obtaining replacement spokes however would not be a problem)

Don't know what price you've been quoted for the ones you mention but for £60 these are definitely good value. As I say they are widely available.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I'd happily recommend Shimano 105 hubs with Mavic Open Pro 32 h rims built with DT stainless spokes. I built them 18 months ago and not touched them since. Very easy to true becuase, as the guy in my LBS commented, the Open pro rims are flat and round before you start and so there's no need to correct then in the build process.

Wouldn't dream of using any wheel I couldn't repair myself - by the road side if necessary. I like to be self-reliant.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I had a set of RS10 wheels, they lasted around 600 miles I think, at the end of a 160 mile ride, only 2 miles form home lukilly, a spoke snapped, so the shop offered to swap em for Open Pro's 32 spoked on tiagra hubs for an additional 25 quid. they where great wheels but the rims worn out like no tomoz. I'm using Shimano R550 wheels now, think they're 105, never had a broken spoke, I did slightly buckle the wheel on a pot hole once and some of the rear spokes are slightly bend due to a chain accident.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    freehub wrote:
    I had a set of RS10 wheels, they lasted around 600 miles I think, at the end of a 160 mile ride, only 2 miles form home lukilly, a spoke snapped, so the shop offered to swap em for Open Pro's 32 spoked on tiagra hubs for an additional 25 quid. they where great wheels but the rims worn out like no tomoz. I'm using Shimano R550 wheels now, think they're 105, never had a broken spoke, I did slightly buckle the wheel on a pot hole once and some of the rear spokes are slightly bend due to a chain accident.

I think you must be using the brakes too much, Will. I can't say I've ever worn out the rims of a bike used on the road all the time - even when my annual mileage was in the region of 10,000.

I did replace the rear rim on my mountain bike before I used it for a tour of SI New Zealand in 1999 but that was becaue it had spent some time on muddy tracks

Just remember the heat generated every time you brake has come from energy generated by the sweat of your brow; learn to anticipate the need to slow down and just stop pedalling earlier. You'll go further just about as quickly and with a lot less stress on your bicycle and yourself.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Derbyshire farmers must clean up after themselves Geoff. Up here in Gods county the buggers spread sh*t all over the road from September till mid May if we are lucky. It makes superb grinding paste for rims and brakes. I relegated my OP/Ultegras to winter use 5 or 6 years ago and have since fitted 2 rear rims and 1 front one. Perhaps more, I have lost track. The wear rate has improved since using Koolstop Salmon blocks though. I think I will get 2 full winters from a back one now.