New or Used hardtail? (£300-350 budget)

Krikkit
Krikkit Posts: 3
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and I'm sure you wise heads will be able to help me out.

I have around £300-350 to spend on a hardtail, and I can't decide between buying something new at that price or getting a 2nd hand bike with a better spec.

The new bike I'm thinking about is the GT Aggressor/Avalanche 3.0 from Halfrauds, with 20% off it seems like a bit of a steal for that money.

On the other hand if I keep a patient eye on eBay and the like I might be able to pick up a much better specced bike. I was thinking along the lines of a Scott Scale, Genesis Core, BeOne Aspire etc, although the ultimate steal (with a marginal increase in budget) would be a Commencal Combi Disc I think.

What do you guys think? Recommendations for either side? I realise this may well have been done to death, but be gentle. :)

Comments

• Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    I got my Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 off my brother in law for £300 when he upgraded it after four months or so.

Best £300 I've spent in a long time.
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • i was looking at that gt aggressor for £299 it looks a good deal too me
  • Ive got the Aggressor XC2, which with the 20% off comes in at about £360.

Ive only had it a short time but i'm really pleased with it. I havn't had any similar bikes to compare it to, but i reckon its a great bike, a joy to ride.
  • It`s changed a bit since...
    2010 Zesty 314
  • Just collected a GT aggressor XC3 from Halfords today, £270 with a further £20 free voucher for accessories... so upgraded the pedals (needed to!).

An awful lot of bike for the money, don't know how they do it!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Don't get too carried away with the "discount", it looks OK at £300 but you'd have to be nuts to buy one at the £450 face value.

If you can stretch to £380 for a Kraken, that's a superior bike... Frame based on last year's Fury, better forks, better drivetrain, better tyres, better wheelset. It really is a storming bargain at £380.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Back on topic, you'll always get a better deal used than you will new, find the right bike in the right condition and you'll get a bike at least 50% better, of course get one not well cared for and it won't be such a bargain....

DV
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    well you could buy a new bike form halfords which will have generic entry level components in the knowledge that your £300 investment will sell for £100 in a year when you decide to upgrade.

or you can buy
    spesh rock hopper disc 07 £275
    Marin northside trail 08 £350 07 £340
    2002 Orange Evo II Disk £350
    Scott Aspect 20 £350

none of the above are great deals just randoms on ebay

or you can buy youe Halfords special used:

Carrera Fury 09 £350
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Rocrider 5xc @ £370. It's a great bike
  • wardy235
    wardy235 Posts: 106
    edited November 2009
    5xc is good
  • wardy235
    wardy235 Posts: 106
    there's this on sale at halfords the Carrera Vengeance Disc Ltd http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_712173_langId_-1_categoryId_165499
    yh with the 5xc ive got an 04 5.3 which is basicaly the same with a few extra stuff on and my going fine, well theres a few creaks but its lasted well
  • Northwind
    diy wrote:
    well you could buy a new bike form halfords which will have generic entry level components in the knowledge that your £300 investment will sell for £100 in a year when you decide to upgrade.

or you can buy
    spesh rock hopper disc 07 £275
    Marin northside trail 08 £350 07 £340
    2002 Orange Evo II Disk £350
    Scott Aspect 20 £350

none of the above are great deals just randoms on ebay

or you can buy youe Halfords special used:

Carrera Fury 09 £350

Working on the assumption that they'll all be in good condition of course. The spec on the Kraken is above your generic entry level, though still not as good as some of these, but it'll all work and it'll have a warranty. But some of these "bargains" just aren't, and that's the danger of buying used...

2002 Orange Evo? Are you serious? Nice components but the fork wasn't much cop even when it was new. The Scott Aspect isn't a significantly better bike than the Kraken either for that matter, same fork and equivalent spec, it's just more expensive new. Same for the Marin, it comes with a worse drivetrain and wheelset. Can't speak for the forks.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • just by a second hand fury for 180 quid like me
    Carerra Fury 08
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    just saw this - yes i know it's not a hardtail, but it seemed like a good deal: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
  • A 1 year old kraken 09 spec for £100 on ebay...yeah right!, I don't think so.

More like £200+
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys, it was very helpful. I've just picked up an '08 Commencal Combi Disc for £240 delivered - I can cope without a warranty and stuff, between having great bike shops nearby and a mechanical mind I think I can handle it.

And of course I can always ask you guys - a good community goes a long way.
  • Northwind
    Yeah, that's the approach I used, got a lightly used Kraken to get back into the game last year. There's probably a million entry level bikes up the back of people's garages, folks who decided to try biking and rode 4 times before giving up... So they're a little neglected but basically sound. I figure there's not much mechanical I can't fix with the right tools and guide so I just jumped in. But I'm always a bit wary of giving that advice because there's a lot of people that can barely fix a puncture ;) And one big shop bill can suddenly make a bargain into a not-bargain.

PS hypnotoad is freaking me out a little.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dr.a
    dr.a Posts: 120
    Thank god I found this thread. . . I was about to post one on the same subject; need a hardtail on a £300-350 budget (Could stretch to £400)

I was looking at the Carrera's and GT's on halfords, and the Carrera Vengeance or the Kraken seem to be a sound choice.

Which one's better value?
    "If you're sleeping', you're not gonna play anything" - John Petrucci, 2004.

2002-2007: Terrano Bullion
    2007-2008: Apollo Guru
    2008-2010: Shockwave XT980
    2010: Carrera Fury 08
  • Northwind
    Kraken, for sure... Vengeance is a parts-bin special I think, horrible forks.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dr.a
    dr.a Posts: 120
    Serious? I thought the Dart forks would've been good? My mate's GT has some Dart 2's and they're good. Anyway, within my 300-350'ish budget, are there any better options out there?

Thanks
    "If you're sleeping', you're not gonna play anything" - John Petrucci, 2004.

2002-2007: Terrano Bullion
    2007-2008: Apollo Guru
    2008-2010: Shockwave XT980
    2010: Carrera Fury 08
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Dart2 is OK. Dart One has none of the damping and behaves like zebedee.