Punctures ++ over spoke area

Mothyman
Mothyman Posts: 655
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
hi all
when removing inner tube I noticed 3mm bulges on the tube in line with the spokes. The puncture was over one of these bulges and there was also a small hole in the 'lining' of the rim -in line with the spoke. I assumed the spokes were penetrating through to the tube but they seemed very sturdy on testing.
Any ideas?
These punctures also seem to happen when pumping the inner tube after a repair??

thanks

Comments

• kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    are they old wheels with old rim tape? rim tape should stop this happening and even if they are new it may be poor quality rim tape so worth changing.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Mothyman
    the bike was bought new 4months and about 200 miles ago...its my friend's Pinnacle carbon road bike. The rim tape looks ok but the innertubes looked 'old' with the bubble effect described above...maybe the new inner tubes wont have the problem..have replaced with Specialized ones
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    If the rim tape is the thin rubbery stuff then you're likely to get the effect you mention. I use Velox rim tape which is stiff and quite thick. However it can make tyre fitting difficult if the tyre is a tight fit but it's reliable. I don't think a new inner tube will make any difference.

However, unless it's causing actual punctures, it's unlikely to be a problem.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Try the 'Stans' yellow rim tape. It's very thin, fiber reinforced and very tough. You can use it on it's own to seal rims if you're doing a tubless conversion, so it's plenty tough enough to stay in place under the high pressures of a road tyre and inner tube. I think I've got the standard Universal tape (12mm wide) in my rims. I've used two overlapping layers and it's still thinner than standard rim tape, so you get that little bit extra space to get your tyres on.

Have a look at this.......

http://www.notubes.com/tubeless_system.php?cPath=21_61

Cheers...... Matt
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Mothyman
    thanks lads

its a noob question, but what purpose does rim tape actually serve? something smooth for the tube to fit onto presumably - or is it for added strength?
  • i use duck tape...

it protects the tube from the spokes and the nipple holes on the inside.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Mothyman wrote:
    thanks lads

its a noob question, but what purpose does rim tape actually serve? something smooth for the tube to fit onto presumably - or is it for added strength?

If you didn't use rim tape at all you would probably get a flat as soon, or shortly after,
    you pumped it up. Rim tape protects the tube from touching the spoke and nipple. Without tape the tube will expand into the spoke hole and the constant rubbing and extra stress on the tube, as it fills the hole, will result in "air loss". :wink::wink: