tick - tick - tick

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited November 2009 in The workshop
Getting a tick which SEEMS to be from my LH crank every rotation. However, can't replicate it in the stand, suggesting that my weight bearing down also has something to do with it.....

any ideas? (can't promise that's where the sound is from - I'm sure your all aware of the naughty tricks our bikes play on us - but obv. the once per revolution click points me to the crank area...)

Comments

• Sounds similar to a creak I was having and a lube of the seat post and the front drop-outs resolved. I say I lubed both these parts, I should have done one at a time to find out what one resolved it.

I worried it was the bottom bracket or crank but it wasn't that complex to be honest.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • There are loads of things it could be check:-

it's not your shoelace or zip knocking against something each revolution
    the crank isn't hitting the bit of cable that sticks out the side of the front mech
    any play in bottom bracket
    any play in pedal
    remove pedal, grease threads and re install
    remove and grease your seatpost

had similar noise from left crank, tick tick at the start of each stroke and it turned out the pedal was only screwed in finger tight....
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Check your seat is tight on the seatpost.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Could also be seatpost - if aluminium, grease the post (and both sides of the shim if there is one.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Could also be seatpost - if aluminium, grease the post (and both sides of the shim if there is one.

+1 my seatpost does this every now and then

I also had a ticking noise in the big chainring turned out to be the chain being worn once replace it when away
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Thanks guys. Fettling session required.....
  • it's a ten minute job to whip the BB out, clean the threads out and refit with the threads full of anti-sieze grease. over time grime finds it way in between the BB shells and the frame and makes the annoying ticking... quicker and easier to check the other things as mentioned previously first tho.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Check pedal bearings too, there won't be pressure on them on the stand.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I had exactly that and my bike to an LBS for a new BB but all they did was take off the pedals and grease the threads - fixed it and didn't charge me anything either. Check the pedals first, it could save you a BB you don't need.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    the crank isn't hitting the bit of cable that sticks out the side of the front mech

That took me a day to find once lol.
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    If you use cleats the noise could be the friction between them and the pedals, a very thin smear of grease on the contact points will cure it if it is.